Military Brides
Options

whaaat?

Can someone please translate all of these abbreviations? Its so hard to even read what people wrote when I can't figure out who/what they're talking about...

Re: whaaat?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    well the ones I always use are jop-meaning get married then have a big wedding, gl-is good luck.. those are the only ones I use..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree! I get so confused sometimes, I understand MIL - Mother In Law, and JOP - Justice of the Peace
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Towards the bottom of this page (<--- clicky) there's a list of common abbreviations. But, being that we're the military board, I see a ton of military abbreviations too. Honestly, I still don't know what most of those mean and I end up asking FI. (fiance) 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    edited December 2011
    Also, if you have questions about specific ones, I'd be happy to help. I know in the last post I used ITA, which means, "in total agreement". 
  • Options
    angelsmileangelsmile member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You will find yourself speaking military VERY soon.  And it's funny when you don't even realize you're doing it until someone looks at you like you're insane b/c you just spoke a sentence with 5 separate acronyms in it.
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_whaaat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:807da2a0-244b-4d6a-b62b-bef53448abeaPost:fad66d4a-8016-481d-b17c-9e727823ffd7">Re: whaaat?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You will find yourself speaking military VERY soon.  And it's funny when you don't even realize you're doing it until someone looks at you like you're insane b/c you just spoke a sentence with 5 separate acronyms in it.
    Posted by angelsmile[/QUOTE]

<div>FI's parents give me that look all the time now. It's the "you've crossed over too" look LOL!</div>
  • Options
    hh581842hh581842 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HAHAHA I'm used to the military acronyms, even though i still don't know what most of them mean.  But GOOD LORD! The Knot is just as bad as the military! I thought the mil was the only organization that had its own language!! lol.  There are still some acronyms here that I just cannot figure out.  I thought I was the only one!!!! LOL
  • Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The ones you'll see on all TK boards (The Knot)

FI = Fiance
    MoB= Mother of the Bride
    MoH = Maid (Matron) of Honor
    FMIL = Future Mother In Law
    FSIL = Future Sister in Law
    BM = Usually means Bridesmaids but could mean Best Man
    GM = Grooms Men
    WR = Wedding Related
    NWR = Non Wedding Related
    TIA = Thanks In Advance
    PIP = Pics in Post
    LIP = Links in Profile

Hope that helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    YES it does!! thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i also had trouble with the lingo at first. but after medical field, small stent in army, this actually throw me for a loop. so i am glad to see i am not the only one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards