Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony Ideas For The Non Religious.

My Fiance and I are NOT Religous to say the least. Any cerempny ideas without religous themes?

Re: Ceremony Ideas For The Non Religious.

• Options
    The civil ceremony is not religious.  It takes only a few minutes.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Contact your local clerk of court if you need a list of officiants. Any Justice of the Peace should be able to perform a secular ceremony and in some areas there are other secular celebrants as well.
  • Options
    As long as it falls within county / state guidelines, you can pretty much do whatever you want.  Contact your county's courthouse and get some info (they have info online, too). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    My FI and I are having our ceremony at the same venue as the reception, and it will be officiated by a Justice of the Peace (since the venue offers ceremonies to be held on site, they kindly gave us a list of JOPs we could use, but it's not required to use on of theirs). There will be no prayers or anything religious, but we do plan to have a reading. Not from a holy book, but probably from a poem or something, which I'm still working on finding.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

See that sound awesome. My FI wants to ask his former megachurch pastor Grandfather to officiate it without any religion or biblical readings and I just feel that it would be disrespectful. I think it would be better with a JOP. We are also having the one shared space for ceremony and reception.

• Options
    AthenasO said:

See that sound awesome. My FI wants to ask his former megachurch pastor Grandfather to officiate it without any religion or biblical readings and I just feel that it would be disrespectful. I think it would be better with a JOP. We are also having the one shared space for ceremony and reception.

Oh, yeah, I could see that no going over well.  Unless his Grandfather left the church because his beliefs changed.

• Options
    Nope...he retired and gives spiritual advice to others in his retirment community. I dont know what my FI is thinking.
  • Options
    I am having a justice of the peace marry my fiancé and I, both ceremony and reception is in a fancy restaurant and there is no mention of anything religious. We legally have to say we know no reason why we can't marry eachother but other then that its the standard 'do you, do you ect'. As well we are not having any readings, instead we are having signs around our venue with love quotes from our favorite children's books.
  • Options
    We are having a non-denominational pastor marry us at our venue (ceremony/reception). He's done a wedding where the bride and groom were Harley Davidson motorcycle people and so were their guests and when he announced the bride and groom the people started the motorcycle engines to more formal ones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FI and I are not religious at all and we wanted to have a pretty ceremony without prayer or bible readings.  When we sat down with our officiant she went through a few different neat ceremony ideas that didn't involve religion and I thought they were all really nice and special.  We're going with a wine ceremony and I think it's going to be really nice!  Here's a link to a similar one (ours is longer and worded differently, but this is similar):

• Options
    Fiance and I are also not religious at all. We are having a destination wedding with just the two of us. Our ceremony will be non religious but we will be doing a sand ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Whats a wine ceremony? I am intruiged! 
  • Options
    There's several ways to do it, but typically the couple either seals a bottle of wine in a box for a future anniversary or their first fight or whatever stipulation they want to place on opening it, or they pour two different wines into a single glass and sip it to represent the two becoming one.
  • Options
    I was just at a wedding in a chapel but it was not religious. It was interesting they had 2 readings but they weren't how you think of religious readings. Each person was asked to read what they wanted. One read a few quotes and the other a poem. I thought it was very nice.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We had a completely non-religious ceremony.  There are plenty of ways to do it, and it can still be totally beautiful and romantic.  We wrote our vows, our officiant was a friend of ours and we had a gorgeous outdoor wedding.  You can include readings (there are some awesome ones that are not religious) or not. We decided to skip readings or a wine or sand ceremony, because we just wanted the ceremony to be short and sweet.  But, there are lots of ways.  

If you need ideas for non-religious readings, let me know. (tag me).  I have a bunch of them saved.

• Options
    I helped my sister write her secular wedding ceremony.  I just googled "secular wedding", stole one, then made some modifications to make it match my sister and her hubby better.  I've started writing the ceremony for my own wedding using the same stolen ceremony I found online.  I'm changing it to be different from the original and different from my sister's.  Once it's done, nobody will ever know that they started off the same.
  • Options
    We had zero religion in our ceremony but still had readings, vows, a unity thingy, etc. - feel free to use anything from ours. Lasted about 20 minutes. http://loveparty2014.com/2014/09/09/full-ceremony/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards