Ohio-Columbus
Options

Help with finding outdoor ceremony & indoor reception with a balcony/patio area for under 10K!!!

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at ceremony sites and venues for almost a year now, and still cant seem to find one that fits all of my needs! We have about 12K to spend on everything for the ceremony and reception, including food, bar, taxes, decor, lighting, etc, so I am going to say we have about 10K for basic food/bar/rental spaces and service charge, because I know the decor and taxes will add up to be about another 2 grand.

We are going to have between 115-130 guests, summer 2015, and definitely want an outdoor ceremony in a nice garden somewhere, like park of roses. We do not want the ceremony to be more then 15 minutes or so from the venue, and ideally would like to have the two together (although I am finding that rather tough to do). We are hoping to find a venue that allows us to bring in our own alcohol too, with preferably an outdoor patio space for cocktail hour.

We are considering Fawcett Center and Waters Edge (formally four seasons), however I have priced both out at slightly over 12K and that does not include everything, so I think I may need to consider other options. I really like Cheers Chalet, but its just so far from the city. 

Do any of you experienced wedding pros know anything at all that may be able to accommodate all these needs?

*As a side note, I am not interested in a shelter house, YMCA, or Clintonville women's club. I would consider Briggs boathouse, but people have mentioned how small it is, at only 80-100 guests, so that may not accommodate us. I am also trying to stick to the Columbus area, no bars that are over 25 minutes away from downtown. I am not really trying to do a rustic look, but I would love something on the water, glass windows, wood floors....that kind of thing. Darby house was perfect but priced at 17K for us:(

I really appreciate the feedback! Thank you!!

Re: Help with finding outdoor ceremony & indoor reception with a balcony/patio area for under 10K!!!

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Sweetie, you don't need to start a new thread. You can just repost on your old thread with more questions. our board isn't terribly busy, sorry. Those of us on here will try and give suggestions, but it's easier for us if you keep all the info/ questions in one thread. More posts in the same thread  = more traffic. New threads will just get you the same suggestions bc we can't remember that we already offered it :) Just trying to be helpful.

I'll try and come up with some options. What don't you like about CWC?
    Did I already suggest checking the Berwick Website for their list of venues that let you bring in your own alcohol?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    ktbee21ktbee21 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2014
    Gotcha, thanks for the tip! I accidently ended up posting like 8 of the same posts because my computer kept giving me an error message, so I just kept hitting send, but now I have edited them all to say "duplicate post" so hopefully no one wastes time clicking through them! :) I dont like the CWC because it looks a bit old school (or maybe they just haven`t updated their photos) and I am looking for something more modern. The lighting and carpet from what I can tell, just are not my style, and I was hoping for a larger patio/balcony space.
  • Options

Have you tried Creekside in Gahanna?

• Options
    Have you tried The Venue at Dock 580? They have an outdoor ceremony/cocktail hour space and could probably come very close to your budget. They also let you bring in your own alcohol which is a huge savings.
  • Options
    ktbee21ktbee21 member
    I dont believe I have checked out Creekside yet, and I did look into Dock 580 but I remember it being out of our budget. I did not know it was BYOB though, so I will have to look into that again, thanks!

• Options
    SenecafSenecaf member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary First Answer
    I looked at a lot of places and had similar desires as you. I ended up deciding g between the Cultural Arts Center and a new place called Vue. Unfortunately my choice was made for me when I couldn't make up my mind and the CAC got booked. So Vue it is. It was referred to us by Dock 580 and has similar vibe. Check out the CAC, it is lovely and has an outdoor garden to be wed in and nice space for a reception. Vue lacks that garden area but has a patio for cocktail hour and urban- not rustic feel.

http://www.theknot.com/Vendors/Vue-by-Metro-Cuisine/Profile/CAR/054/613400/profile
  • Options
    caitlinmcacaitlinmca member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    I loved the Vue when we went to check it out, and what drew me to it was the feel sort of like Dock580 and that the Vue also lets you bring in your own alcohol I believe, however don't quote me on that. As senecaf mentioned it lacked a garden area if you were wanted an outdoor ceremony and when we were looking at it for our wedding venue (I can't part with not having an outdoor ceremony) the Vue did mention they were trying to work with someone to get a garden space a little ways up the road (I don't know what ever happened to that), as well as if you had a small number of guests for the ceremony place they do have a small patio but for us it wouldn't work. They were accommodating when we looked at them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SenecafSenecaf member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary First Answer
    Another one I thought about is the Grange Audubon Center. It would also meet a lot of those requiremts. Not sure about the alcohol though.
    With Vue you provide your own, however catering goes through Metro Cusine and their lowest full buffet package runs $50/person.
  • Options
    ktbee21ktbee21 member
    @sencaf-I am sure your wedding at VUE will still be lovely! Are you planning on having the ceremony at a park nearby? I have been to Vue already, and it is BYOB, but no outdoor ceremony area like you said, which is what I really want as well. They seem to be very affordable ($55 a plate) and I was quoted around 9K for a Sunday (including the rental of the space). Dock 580 is between $70-80 a plate, and I have not gotten around to all of their fees, unless that basic prices includes service charge/tax, which I highly doubt. I am going to check into the Grange Center-thanks again!
  • Options
    Hey. I just had mine at the ohio state bar association. It was perfect. Nice outdoor ceremony space and indoor reception. The people are so nice there and it is DIY everything. Your budget is pretty similar to ours as well
  • Options
    ktbee21ktbee21 member
    Thanks @omargotz! Did you get to pick your own caterer and if so, who did you end up going through? Also, was it byob?

I cant find a lot of info at all on using this space for a wedding. Would you happen to have any info or pricing guides you can give me?

Thanks again! 
  • Options
    donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    OSBA is on Berwick's list with a phone number.  I do remember they don't allow 
    red wine :-)
    http://the-berwick.com/services/catering-venues/
  • Options
    they allow red wine now....
  • Options
    We're having our reception at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center. It would probably fit your budget, and you can bring your own alcohol. They have several beautiful spots to get married outside and there's a stunning view of downtown too.
  • Options
    Hi @MickeyDo85,

I am checking it out Monday, June 9th actually! It seems pretty steep for a Saturday at a $3500 rental fee, but maybe a well-priced caterer makes up for that? Who are you using for food and are you able to tell me what it costs? Not trying to be rude, just trying to save another headache :)
  • Options

I'm assuming its $3500 because you're having the ceremony there too? We are having the ceremony at a church and then the reception there. It cost us $3300 up front, but we will be getting back our deposit (hopefully!) afterward, bringing it down to $2800. They have a variety of caterers you can use at several different price points. For us, the benefit was the fact that we can bring our own alcohol - that will be a huge savings. We're also having a fairly large wedding - inviting about 225. (I hope not everyone can come. Haha.)

It's such a beautiful place that I don't really think you need much in terms of decor. My caterer is helping me with centerpieces so those will only cost roughly $10/piece, and they already have tables and chairs available at the audubon, so you don't have to rent those additionally. I think it's likely that for your size of wedding you could get away with paying around $8000 for everything. Everyone is different though; you might want more decor than I do.

It's worth checking out! I'm definitely looking forward to my big day at the audubon.

• Options
    Yayyyy well congrats to you! I only spoke with someone from Mass Appeal Catering who quoted me that price, so maybe thats the ceremony too and she just didnt mention the deposit. That is more reasonable though :)

I`m very excited for you!! How much do you think you will spend on alcohol for that many people? Are you getting a keg lol I think I would like to have a half keg or something.
  • Options

ktbee21,

Not sure yet... I think probably a couple grand. I have no idea. Have not yet worked that out yet!

• Options
    BCsGalBCsGal member
    First Comment
    We had our ceremony and reception at Bent Tree Golf Club in Sunbury. I think it would fulfill a lot of your requirements. I'm not up to date on their pricing, as my wedding was in August 2010, but it was a great value for us. You can check out reviews and pictures in my planning/wedding bios. Good luck!
    Christina & Brandon - August 7, 2010 Anniversary
    My Planning Bio | My Married Bio | FOR SALE!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ETA - thanks (vendor banned)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    We had our wedding at Deer Creek State Park in Mt. Sterling.  Outdoor wedding (beautiful lakeside gazebo), with guaranteed indoor back up space in case of rain.  Two different indoor reception areas to choose from. (Each would hold the number you are planning on.  We used the smaller, more unique space, which hold's up to 160).  No private balcony/patio as a part of it, but there is a large balcony overlooking the lake, right off of the lobby (just below the space we used).  The cost also includes a (fabulous and really helpful) day of coordinator, who helps tons of the wedding planning.

Rental of the ceremony and reception locations, food (apps and meal), and full open bar cost us just under 10K for 115 attendees - and we even chose to upgrade our decorations package, which was about $1000 of that.  Plus, very nice rooms on site for out of town guests (and the couple gets a free room the night of the wedding - we got upgraded to the king suite as well since no one had rented it).

If you are willing to go a little bit outside of Columbus, I can't recommend it enough.
  • Options
    I am planning a wedding for Fall 2015, about 100 guests, about $8k budget for ceremony/reception. The Bent Tree Golf Club seems very affordable, but they only mention wine and beer in their packages. Do they not provide or allow liquor?
  • Options
    @JimAndStephanie  I know Bent Tree has a full bar, so that must be an upgrade or add-on to their beer and wine packages.  I'm sure they have a host or cash bar option.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards