New Jersey - South
Options

Spooky/Eerie Wedding Venue?

I know, I know, it's not traditional. Don't slam me on that. I've always dreamed about a slightly unsettling wedding, but I'm new to NJ and have no idea where to look. I was thinking maybe outdoors, in the evening, or inside a slightly Gothic building. (Abandoned church? Funeral home?) The wedding party itself is less than 50 people, so I'm not very worried on capacity. Our wedding date is set for Halloween next year, and the ceremony would be followed up by a Halloween party, so ideally, the venue would be for the vows and the reception. Anywhere 2 hours from Gloucester county is a bad idea, however, since I want to do a late afternoon/evening wedding.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas of where else to look for a good location? 

Fyi, the family is firmly behind me on this. We've looked at all of the traditional venues and thrown them out because they don't fit my partner or I. I'm of the belief that if I'm paying for a party, it should be a reflection of our personalities. 

Re: Spooky/Eerie Wedding Venue?

• Options
    My first thought would be Eastern State Penitentiary, but they do the haunted prison during that time.  You might be pushing it on the 2 hours, but have you looked at any of the houses in counties outside of Philly?  They are always advertising in the local bridal magazines.  Or you can check out some of the B&Bs down in Cape May.  I know they have some haunted places down there too.  And Elaine's Haunted Mansion Restaurant down there might offer everything you want.

Are there a lot of kids that will be attending?  They might be disappointed in not being able to trick or treat that day.  So it might be nice for them if you provide them with a big candy bag at the end of the night or do a candy bar. 
  • Options
    Oh, that's a thought. The Penitentiary would be a great area, I'll have to check into that. I have looked into some of the houses, but they don't seem to fit, but maybe Elaine's? Things to discuss with the groom, that's for sure.

No, there won't be any kids. None of my relatives have children, yet, so I don't have to worry on that front. However, a candy bar is going to set up. It's Halloween, after all, it'd be a shame to not have one!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards