Getting in Shape

guys I got a FITBIT

...and I'm in LOVE. I keep checking my stats every 5 seconds. Best birthday gift ever.

Re: guys I got a FITBIT

• I love my fitbit!  Enjoy!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One of the best things i did to lose weight was buy a fitbit. The system really works well for me and it's gotten me to a lower weight than anything else I've tried. Keep up with it and good luck!
  • I'm really curious to hear about these--what exactly do they track? Do they calibrate to your body specifically? My skeptical nature makes me tend to think these are gimmicky, but I would love to hear people's stories of how it has/hasn't worked for them.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I love mine too. . . . If nothing else, it makes me conscious of what i'm doing, and how much I am moving around. I find myself taking the dog for longer walks and going to the bathroom at the opposite end of the hallway at work instead of the one close by. I also like to see how much sleep I am getting, especially how many times I am moving around and restless in my sleep.
  • ohmrs2014ohmrs2014 mod
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2014
    I love my fitbit.  I wear it all the time, even while working out, though I do also use my Polar FT4 to keep track of my heart rate.  I love the fact that it records my REM.  And you can sync your fitbit to my fitness pal.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @KatieinBkln‌ It's more about keeping you accountable. It suggests you take so many steps or drink a certain amount of water. These goals are able to be tailored to your wants or needs. The weight loss portion asks your current weight, and how much you want to lose. Then it suggests your calorie intake. It's better than those apps that count calories because it takes into account how many steps your taking, how much your "active" during the day, and your exercise..then it adjusts your calorie needs based on your daily fitness
  • @KatieinBkln‌ It's more about keeping you accountable. It suggests you take so many steps or drink a certain amount of water. These goals are able to be tailored to your wants or needs. The weight loss portion asks your current weight, and how much you want to lose. Then it suggests your calorie intake. It's better than those apps that count calories because it takes into account how many steps your taking, how much your "active" during the day, and your exercise..then it adjusts your calorie needs based on your daily fitness
    Cool--it sounds like it integrates a lot of the things that you'd otherwise have to do separately. Does it "know" the difference between regular walkin' around steps and "workout" steps?
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • It counts steps regardless, but it also measures "active" periods and recommends you keep a higher heart rate for at least 30 mins/day
  • @KatieinBkIn mine (Flex) has an "accelerometer" that determines the speed you are walking at (walking slowly, briskly, running) and accounts for that in the calorie count. My friends (One) has an "altimeter" that measures flights of stairs climbed (ie more calories).

I've noticed that it doesn't really account for personal metabolism, however. I actually have to consume about ~250 calories less than what it thinks I should in order to maintain my current weight. It would be nice if the software noticed (after time), "Oh hey, you ate X amount, burned Y amount, and lost/gained Z amount. Let me adjust your resting metabolism!" Maybe in the new model.

Also, anyone have/tried the FitBit Aria Scale? It would be interesting to see what my body fat percentage is (and if the weird electro-method it uses is accurate), but it seems a bit expensive for a bathroom scale.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards