Snarky Brides
Options

Consultation fees

These just rub me the wrong way... Ok I can kind of see them if I am being given something like a taste testing.. But I recently went to set up an appointment with a local florist (there are 4 in my small town.. ) and after they took my info they said there was a fee.. I asked what it included she said the consultation to review flowers I said what if I don't like what you show or tell me, she said I don't know what to tell you then. I know places do them but I don't feel like paying a place for them to sell me on their services. My minor vent for the day.

Re: Consultation fees

• Options
    Sorry. While I understand it being annoying, you are using their time and resources. Some people charge for that. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.
  • Options
    Oh I understand the resources but the flower shop had books to hand me to look through. At least the cake I got to eat and she charged nothing :)
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    This is why I'm buying all my flowers in bulk and doing the arranging myself. It's not like it's hard, I've done it for wedding before with exactly 0 experience and it always turns out. It's time consuming, is all. 

I won't listen to a single person tell me that flower arranging is hard. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I have never heard of a consultation fee. I just booked appointments with all potential vendors and decided based on professionalism. I don't think I would go with someone who charges me to just come talk to them.
  • Options
    Oh I understand the resources but the flower shop had books to hand me to look through. At least the cake I got to eat and she charged nothing :)
    Sounds like some bullshit to me. Like if I showed up and we just talk for a bit and you show me your portfolio, I don't owe you a thing. Hair/makeup trials, I fully understand putting money into.

What if you went to a caterer, said hi, talked about your event, and they showed you pictures of food? I would be pressed as hell if they thought I owed them a dime. Especially because that's an email conversation we could've had instead of my dragging my ass into your building.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Yeah I would have a problem with that too.  Part of a business expense/outlay is to acquire clients. A consultation fee like this is like charging someone to watch a commercial.  If she was actually using flowers to make a mock up to show you I could understand it.  Otherwise, no.

• Options
    larrygaga said:
    This is why I'm buying all my flowers in bulk and doing the arranging myself. It's not like it's hard, I've done it for wedding before with exactly 0 experience and it always turns out. It's time consuming, is all. 

Yeah this really rubbed me the wrong way.  As a floral designer for 8 years I can definitely tell you that floral arranging can be very difficult.  Sure if you stick with simple and basic a lot of people can put together some bouquets and centerpieces but when you start to get a bit more extravagant it is not only time consuming but constructing certain pieces takes time, thought and experience to know how to do it well.

• Options
    I wasn't charged additional fees.  Weird.  The florist we chose showed me her look book and we discussed types of flowers were liked as well as her availability.  She jived with what we liked based on her look book and recommendations, so we booked her.  Do they want to build something in front of you?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    larrygaga said:

Yeah this really rubbed me the wrong way.  As a floral designer for 8 years I can definitely tell you that floral arranging can be very difficult.  Sure if you stick with simple and basic a lot of people can put together some bouquets and centerpieces but when you start to get a bit more extravagant it is not only time consuming but constructing certain pieces takes time, thought and experience to know how to do it well.
    I've arranged flowers as well, but I have to agree with Maggie here, and came very close to sending her a floral SOS last Friday. (Near hydrangea disaster.)
     It's not just making a pretty arrangement, but understanding all the different types of flowers and how they'll behave and react, and what particular treatments and prep each sort might need, and line and form and design. 
    The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. 
    (Learned about zinnias last week- that they're hollow and very fragile at the top of the stem, and need to be handled farther down. They look as hardy as a dahlia, but not even. There were a few sad broken necks when I'd forget. Oops.)
    Love love love flowers and handling them, but lots to learn. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards