Nevada-Las Vegas

Can't stop looking at dresses- even though I already bought one!?

Hi-  I've got 110 days until my wedding and I can't stop looking at dresses.  I picked out and purchased my dress 9 months ago but now I'm really second guessing my choice.  I've bought another less expensive dress already (returnable for a year, gotta love Zappos) but I still can't stop looking at dresses.  I guess I think there is a better one out there for me so I keep looking.  

I have a fitting next week, I know it's early but I have to try it on again and be sure I want to wear it....  I really think I rushed into the dress purchase, I sure wish I had looked around a bit more so now I keep looking.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Anyone ever decide they didn't want to wear the dress they spent over $1000 on?

Thanks in advance!
We had our dream wedding in Las Vegas - 11.29.2014

Re: Can't stop looking at dresses- even though I already bought one!?

• I did the same thing and at one point had 5 dresses in my closet! One was from shop bop and very expensive but luckily they took pity on me and let me return it even though it was past the date.
    It was an agonizing process. At some point you have to stop looking. It'll make it so much easier on you. Start putting that energy into shoes and accesories.
    But...at the end of the day you should love what you're wearing so if you really feel like it's not the one then accept your alternate decision even if that means losing the money. You can probably get 50% selling it.
  • I literally have like 10 pairs of shoes to return. Thanks zappos!
  • I haven't done this with my dress but do it with EVERYTHING else. My new method is deleting boards and signing contracts so I can't change my mind. For example, we picked the chapel and restaurant so I am having the invites made so I can't change my mind (well I can but it'll cost big time!). My sister did the same thing with my flowers. I am constantly changing my mind so she bought the flowers and all the stuff to make the bouquets. Now I can't change my mind or I'll feel like crap that she wasted all that money. I was never on Pinterest until we got engaged....truly is a blessing and a curse!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks @rosebubbly and @hmgiffor!   Good advice and glad to know that others go through this too!   I need to decide and like you said Rose, if I lose money it's OK, but I have to be happy!  I'm going to try on the $1500 dress next week and I'll bring the other one I bought that was only $300 that I really like too,  Then I can decide, do I try and sell the other one or not.  It's been 9 months since I tried it on so that may be part of the problem, I'm hoping when I get it one again I'll love it again.

I liked your ideas about focusing on other things, sign the contract and move on to the next thing.  I've done that with our venue and dinner locations so far, just need to do it with the dress.  Make a decision and move on.

• Yea hopefully you will fall in love with the $1500 dress again once you put it on. I know I am itching to try mine on again! If not, try to sell it on preownedweddingdresses.com.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The biggest lesson I've learned while planning my wedding is you kinda have to just settle sometimes. It is so stressful and agonizing to want everything to be "perfect". No matter what you do, nothing will turn out perfectly. The BEST thing I did was finally wrap my mind around being ok with things not being perfect and I feel so much better! I spent A LOT of time dress shopping and second guessing myself. My dress is gorgeous, is it "perfect"? No. But it's good enough I'm glad that I can honestly say that I'm happy with that, I know my fiance will love it and that I will feel beautiful on my wedding day. So my advise would be to stop trying to reach some sort of magical perfect ah hah moment, and be realistic. I'm sure your dress is beautiful and you will feel everything you are supposed to feel when you wear it on your wedding day. 
  • I've decided to sell the gown, It's gorgeous, It's just not right for me (I'm an older bride) and I feel great about it!  I've found another dress that feels much more like me and I'm very happy. 

Just put up the listing on http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com.   http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/view/116296/Wtoo-Rhea-19258-Size-14.html

It's still an orderable gown from wtoo so someone out there has got to want to save some money!  It's unaltered and still at the shop where I bought it so I'm hoping someone else will get to enjoy it.   
  • Lucky for me, the dress I wanted was the only one in the store, and in my size <3

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Be sure and post it to the classifieds board too. I wanna see your new dress too!
  • I'm getting nervous about my dress.  It's being made so all I have to go on were the ideas and examples I talked about with the designer.  My first fitting is in October.  If it sucks I'm screwed.
  • I'm a big girl, when I say big, I mean big. Let's just say David's Bridal dresses in plus sizes wouldn't fit, at least only in my hip area. Everything else is fine. My hips are huge. Despite a major weight loss (35+ lbs, I recently gained 8 lbs back, ugh), and inch loss, it seems to be centered in my upper body and not my hip area. Anyways, my point is, I am having a custom made dress and I am entrusting this seamstress to make a beautiful gown, but I worry. I am actually considering going to another one just in case, but you can't get your $ back for custom made...tough one to consider. I just fear not liking the one dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good to know that others are having dress issues.  @rosebubbly- I ordered 4 more dresses this weekend (all returnable) so even thought I have one dress, I'm still looking!  I'll keep you posted.  Totally changed what I'm going for, thinking more cocktail than bridal (I'm 52, an older 1st time bride)
  • When I got married, I bought one dress a year or two out and then continued looking as if that had never happened. LOL It obviously wasn't THE ONE.

When I bought my second dress, it really felt right and I loved it. I could picture everything about my wedding day in that dress, including the Mr seeing me in it and loving it. I didn't look anymore because this time I KNEW. Kinda like when you find your groom. You eventually know and don't look anymore. ;)

• @KrisLSmiley‌ did you look at shopbop too? They're amazing!!! Can't wait to see what you end up with!!! Maybe well even see each other on the day. You're right next door at the bellagio after all!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards