Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

different flavors, different tiers

I will admit, I know nothing about this whole cake business...but most of my "big planning" is done (one of the benefits of a destination wedding, haha), and now I've become fixated on all things cake.

I have a question regarding multiple tiered cakes.  We were planning on doing 3 tiers with tier 1 and 3 being red velvet (my fav) and tier 2 being lemon cake (FI's fav).  How are the different flavors handled when serving the cake?  Does the waitstaff ask "lemon or red velvet?"  And what happens if we run out of lemon - do the rest of the guests not get a choice?

Also, now I'm leaning more towards an all red velvet wedding cake and getting a lemon groom's cake.  Who typically eats the grooms cake, besides the groom?

Sorry if this has been asked before...I've never been on this board before :)

Re: different flavors, different tiers

• topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the wait staff usually just sets a plate down in front of the guest w/o asking.

Maybe if the wedding is more formal? I've only been to one wedding where we had a menu and were asked what dinner and dessert we wanted.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can serve the groom's cake along side the wedding cake.  FI has turned our flavors (mine white almond, his pumpkin spice) into a competiton for whose is more popular with the guests.

I've also never been offered a choice regarding which flavor I'd like as a guest when there are multi flavored layers.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011

If I were in your shoes I would go the separate cake route-I just like that idea better. Also, I love your cake flavor choices, they are two of my favorites.

Usually the waitstaff just cuts up the pieces as fast as they can and sets them on the table.  Guests can pick up what they want.  If they stopped and asked everyone and then cut the piece it would probably make for a slow line.

I'm not sure about the running out of lemon issue.  That is why I leaned more toward the two cake idea.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I'm about to give you a third answer about the cakes: every wedding I've been to where there's been flavour choice, we've been given the option of what we want.

Ask your caterers how they usually do it, and if you don't like that method, ask them if they can do it your way.
  • edited December 2011
    so many options! 

i know my cake will be served, so just placing it on the table and people taking what they want won't work.

i'll check with our venue and see how they normally handle it.  i'm just worried about running out of a flavor, but i obviously don't want to buy 2 full cakes.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_different-flavors-different-tiers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:49f80192-bca2-4286-87c3-5dd98005b4b8Post:f4ea17f4-82cf-41f9-9768-fbba11fcaaa5">Re: different flavors, different tiers</a>:
    [QUOTE]so many options!  i know my cake will be served, so just placing it on the table and people taking what they want won't work. i'll check with our venue and see how they normally handle it.  i'm just worried about running out of a flavor, but i obviously don't want to buy 2 full cakes.
    Posted by amandajean36[/QUOTE]

Groom's cakes aren't expensive.  Ours is only $60.  From what I've seen on other threads, they don't get expensive unless you are going for a 3-D groom's cake.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue gave me a few options:
    1. Servers could ask each guest what flavor they want and serve it.
    2. Servers could just serve the cake in alternative flavors to guests and not give them a choice (I have seen this option, but I don't like it).
    3. There could be a dessert table with the slices of cake laid out, and guests can pick their flavor when they're ready to eat.

I'm going with option 3, because I want everyone dancing before the dessert course, and I look at the eating of the cake as a sort of dance break.  Also, I'm having other finger dessert food at the dessert table so people can make their own dessert plate.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_different-flavors-different-tiers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:49f80192-bca2-4286-87c3-5dd98005b4b8Post:6e9914b1-d5c4-42ca-b4a8-1f3f22d7c5ca">Re: different flavors, different tiers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: different flavors, different tiers : Groom's cakes aren't expensive.  Ours is only $60.  From what I've seen on other threads, they don't get expensive unless you are going for a 3-D groom's cake.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]
    i'm going to guess this depends on what you want (3D, flavor, overall design, etc) and where you're having your wedding.  i think its a little too general to say "grooms cakes aren't expensive"

and what i was getting at was this:  if i have 100 guests, i didn't want to have 100 pieces of red velvet cake and 100 pieces of lemon cake so that guests can chose which flavor they wanted, and i wouldn't have to worry about running out.  i basically don't want to have the waitstaff start out by asking "which flavor do you want" and then half way thru run out of one flavor and the rest of the guests don't get a choice.  especially since we're having a smaller wedding, and it'd be kind obvious.
  • edited December 2011

I've always been given the option of what flavor.  The waiter/waitress puts multiple slices of each on a tray and asks each person what they wanted.  I was also at one wedding where the cake was cut and put out on a table so that everyone could choose their own flavors.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • divine_chaosdivine_chaos member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have 3 tiers and 3 flavors. We are having a sit down dinner and the cake will be cut and served- I figure we all know each other and if someomne wants to switch they can.I ordered a cake to feed x number and picked flavors we wanted.
    engagement ring-imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having 4 tiers: green coconut, chocolate, french vanilla & pink (my take on red) velvet. The top tier will be the green coconut that we will save for our 1st yr anniversary. Chocolate will be on the bottom since its my FI's fave.
    It Was Luv At First Bite!
  • marisah83marisah83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having chocolate and lemon layers.  I'm just going to have mine cut and put on a table so that people can pick.  I tried to pick flavors that I know a lot of our family likes, so I don't see it being too big of a problem.
    09.10 Siggy Challenge
    PhotobucketMy favorite picture is of the night we got engaged!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards