Chit Chat
Options

A Handmaid's Tale (book spoilers!)

larrygagalarrygaga member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited September 2014 in Chit Chat
Is that book club still going? I never got the chance to join it! I also never had the chance to read this book, until now.

I just read A Handmaid's Tale, and OMG. I really don't know what to say, except how believable the characters are. This book really terrified me and I thought it was interesting that in book about sex slaves the real fear was from the captivity and boredom. I honestly think the least worst part about the handmaid's situation was the sex slave job. 

I had a discussion with FI about what he would do if all my rights were just taken away, and all my money, property and car were now legally his. His response was that it would be terrible and we would leave the country. 

I'm so glad he didn't tell me he would just let me continue to buy what I want and pretend our partnership would be equal. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A Handmaid's Tale (book spoilers!)

• Options
    What a great book. I remember reading it in high school and looooooving it. There's also a movie (which of course isn't nearly as good). I think I need to make a trip to the library and pick it up.
  • Options
    I loved the book and got into it, but it lacked some depth for me. Something was always missing...but maybe that was just annoyance with wanting more information, more history, more answers. It intrigued me, and I was visibly annoyed when it ended.
  • Options
    I read this book in HS and loved it. I need to read it again. 
  • Options
    We read this in a college course. I loved it until we got to the epilogue that talks about how they found the manuscript in pieces and out it together as best as they could but that it could be incorrect. As a class, we discussed how the story may have been altered for political reasons etc.

It kind of ruined it for me because it's the book equivalent of "and then she woke up."
  • Options
    Love, love, love it. I've read it a few times over the years, and pull something new out of it every time. It's also the reason I always keep cash in the house ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I LOVED the handmaid tale. It was absolutely amazing.  It is truly one of the best books I have ever read.
  • Options
    That's why I never read prologue or epilogues. 50/50 chance they ruin the book for me
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Love dystopian fiction. Usually hate Margaret Atwood, but I've read this about 10x now, and enjoy it more each time. She's also written a trilogy that starts with Oryx and Crake, it's a similar feel but very different situation. Halfway thru book two, quite happy. I had no idea this was book club this month?
  • Options
    It wasn't book club!!! I read it on my own. Just curious if that's still going
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    larrygaga said:
    I think the book club got dropped a little bit, but I'd be down to pick it back up.

ETA: I need to stop using slang.  Those words make no sense.  What I mean is, YES let's start the book club again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    That book is chilling. For some reason I thought it was part of a larger group that take place in the same world, but Wikipedia knows nothing about that, so I must be confused. I would totally do a book club!
  • Options
    I didn't know there was a book club. I want in. Like frrlz.

Also - JC - I get in trouble for saying "thingy" on a daily basis at work. Mostly it's bossman fake-frowning at me, but it's when I'm trying not to use slang that it comes out most. I never call anything "thingy" at home anymore.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    larrygaga said:
    I think the book club got dropped a little bit, but I'd be down to pick it back up.

ETA: I need to stop using slang.  Those words make no sense.  What I mean is, YES let's start the book club again!
    Made sense to me!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Also - JC - I get in trouble for saying "thingy" on a daily basis at work. Mostly it's bossman fake-frowning at me, but it's when I'm trying not to use slang that it comes out most. I never call anything "thingy" at home anymore.
    I have/had a habit of getting people's attention by calling them "Dude!" Once the VP of our retail group was visiting my store and I got excited to share an idea with him so the conversation went like this:

"Dude!..."
    "Did you just call me dude?"
    "No! Well yes. But no. I mean..."
  • Options

I have/had a habit of getting people's attention by calling them "Dude!" Once the VP of our retail group was visiting my store and I got excited to share an idea with him so the conversation went like this: 

"Dude!..." 
    "Did you just call me dude?" 
    "No! Well yes. But no. I mean..."
    Bahahaha that sounds like a SUPER fun conversation... at least he was hopefully cool about it?

I get very wave-y when I'm excited. I have yet to call bossman "dude" but I have gotten really excited and started ... like... flapping my arms up and down? I dunno, I kind of do this:
    The first time I did that, he about laughed his ass off at me. I try not to do that, but if there's something exciting going on (new grandbabies for him or what have you), I'm okay with looking like a fool in front of him. It accurately conveys my level of excitement.
  • Options
    Haha. Yea he was ok with it (not something I've repeated in the future, but in that situation it was ok!).

The other day my assistant manager had a good laugh when I was explaining to her how big a bug was that I found in the office ("it was HUGE"), her words: "it was so big that you dropped the H. 'YOUUUU-GE!'."
  • Options
    I would totally be down with a book club!

MrsMagicGeek in da hizzy!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Haha. Yea he was ok with it (not something I've repeated in the future, but in that situation it was ok!). The other day my assistant manager had a good laugh when I was explaining to her how big a bug was that I found in the office ("it was HUGE"), her words: "it was so big that you dropped the H. 'YOUUUU-GE!'."
    You didn't have the strength to carry the H after how big that bug was! 

Ok but frrl y'all let's do a book club. I always need an excuse to read a new book.
  • Options
    I need an excuse to FINISH a book. :(. :/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards