Wedding Etiquette Forum

would it be rude

Would it be rude to invite some people from the office and not invite others?

Re: would it be rude

• Would it be rude to invite some people from the office and not invite others?

It all depends. How many people are on your team or in your office? Do you socialize with them outside of work? Are you talking about inviting everyone but one person?
  • I think it depends on the ratio 9/10 invited... yes, rude. 10/25, fine. 
    It all depends. How many people are on your team or in your office? Do you socialize with them outside of work? Are you talking about inviting everyone but one person?
    I'm asking on behalf of my FI. There office has about 8 guys, he really only wants to invite 2 of them and his boss (the owner). He does not like a couple of the other guys and the remainder he does not really know.
    I'm asking on behalf of my FI. There office has about 8 guys, he really only wants to invite 2 of them and his boss (the owner). He does not like a couple of the other guys and the remainder he does not really know.
    With only 8 guys I feel like it is an all or nothing thing.  Word will get around that 2 of the 8 were invited and then it could lead to some awkward and uncomfortable weeks/months ahead for your FI.

• I don't think it is rude. If he only has a relationship outside of work with 2 of his coworkers then there is no reason to invite the others. I would mention to the ones invited that the rest of the office is not so that they don't bring up how much fun everyone at XYZ company is going to have at your wedding. That would be awkward. I would also make sure the invitations are mailed to their homes and not passes out at work. Otherwise, I think you are in the clear.
  • I think 2/8 (excluding the boss in this - I feel like the boss would be a given anyway) is acceptable.  Especially if he hangs out with those two outside of work and not the others.  If I were one of the six not invited and know that he's friends with the two who are and we're not really friends outside of work, I wouldn't even question not being invited. 

Now, if he routinely hangs out with all eight - they all hang out and watch football together on the weekends at someone's house and now he's just picking his two favorite, I think that might be awkward.
  • Yeah, he barely hangs out with even the 2 guys out of work. he can't stand 2 of them, and the others he does not have anything in common with. Thank you for the advice. I think that we will Invite the 2 guys, the boss and their SO
    With only 8 guys I feel like it is an all or nothing thing.  Word will get around that 2 of the 8 were invited and then it could lead to some awkward and uncomfortable weeks/months ahead for your FI.
    2 out of 8 doesn't sound "all or nothing" to me.  Maybe 6 or 7 out of 8, yes, but if the 2 are the only ones he socializes with, I don't think it's going to hurt feelings if the rest aren't invited-especially if this is supposed to be a small, intimate wedding.
  • My husband invited only the folks he spent time with outside of work, which also happened to include one of the supervisors but not the other. 

One person obviously was hurt by not being invited since my husband invited his best friend but neither me or my husband liked this guy nor did my husband ever hang out with him. So, we chose to be a little rude there by choosing to invite a little outside of the social circle. 

So, my point is to ensure you invite in circles and as long as you do that it should be fine to invite only some and not all co-workers. 
  • OP, your FI sounds like he's doing the right thing in his situation. It totally depends on the group / office dynamics. At my dad's dental office, he had 8 people who worked there. In that case, it was an all-or-nothing approach.
  • Remember... It's your wedding and your day, so invite who you want and not cause it's the right thing to do but because you want them there to celebrate the special day with you. After all you are paying for them to be there and if it's not a face you want to see, don't invite. It's about you , not making everyone else happy.
  • Remember... It's your wedding and your day, so invite who you want and not cause it's the right thing to do but because you want them there to celebrate the special day with you. After all you are paying for them to be there and if it's not a face you want to see, don't invite. It's about you , not making everyone else happy.
    This kind of attitude is what causes people to split up SO. Once you invite guests it's not all about you.

However, I think inviting 2 of 8 is perfectly acceptable.

Yes,it is mine and my FI's wedding day and we care about proper etiquette.
    Yes,it is mine and my FI's wedding day and we care about proper etiquette.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards