Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Chemical peel

I've been seeing an aesthetician for microdermabrasian and today she suggested a chemical peel. Have you had one and if so, were you pleased with the results? My wedding isn't until September so I have time...But it's scheduled for 3/15. I have pretty oily, acne prone skin.

Re: Chemical peel

• OjitosVerdesOjitosVerdes member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    LOL - I'll precede this by saying I keep finding myself responding to these cosmetic procedures posts and it makes me feel like a procedure addict, but I swear I'm not! 

I've had a chemical peel and it worked wonders, but to get visible results you'll need either a really deep peel performed by a doc which will have downtime, or a series of lighter peels done by an aesthetician.  One, light peel won't do much (nor would one microdermabrasion session) - don't let them tell you otherwise at a med spa. I had a 40% TCA peel a few years back that completely removed all my sunspots, fine lines, prevented acne for over a year, etc., but it also came with an $800 price tag, was done by an MD (a dermatologist) and I had three weeks of down time. 

What sort of peel are you thinking of having done?  I totally feel you - my skin is super oily and acne prone, and I'm thinking of having another deep peel before my wedding as well. 

Edited to say - light peels can be great for oil/acne, but again, you'll probably need more than one for lasting results. If you're worried about spots/lines/wrinkles, you'll definitely need something deeper. 
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I had a series of microdermabrasians a few years ago and it worked well and I was pleased with the results.  So far I've had four sessions this time.  She said the chemical peel would be 20%...no clue what that means.  She said there isn't time to do a series as she won't do them in the spring/summer months due to the sun which makes sense.

So it sounds like you're a fan and think it's a good idea?  
  • I'm definitely a fan of peels - they really can work wonders!  It's hard to know what sort of results you might get at 20%, because it depends on the acid used. If it is a TCA peel, it will be a pretty significant peel.  If it is a glycolic peel, you'll get light exfoliation.  

And she's right - you definitely need to avoid the sun due to the risk of pigmentation issues. 

Does your aesthetician think you'll get a more significant result with this one peel versus a series of microdermabrasion? 

Here's a chart that briefly details three different kinds of peels - what is missing and would be nice is a "expected results" line. http://www.riversideoralfacialsurgery.com/cosmetic-facial-surgery/types-of-chemical-facial-peels/
  • nbad311nbad311 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013
    No results of my own to report, but a lady who works in the neighboring department from me here at work has had a few. she is probably 50-55 years old.  Her issues are more due to aging, not necessarily acne and related.

Not sure if she always opts for some drastic type of peel, but the aftermath is very, very ...... noticeable, to put it kindly.  Her face looks a bit like she's been burned (by a fire...... not a friendly facial mask!).  She takes a day off after the procedure and then returns to work.  The aftermath seems to last a few days.

BUT

The results are phenomenal!  She looks a young 40 years old after all is said and done (and healed).  Her wrinkles are diminished and facial spots gone.  She looks "fresh" all the time.  After seeing her "wounds" the first time around, I was thinking "WHY DID SHE DO THAT TO HERSELF??" but then seeing the results, I totally understood.  Worth it?  I lean towards yes (if you don't mind a few days of looking sort of funky).

Again, I'm sure not all peels do that to your face.  I'd be sure to ask if it's painful and if you'll look strange for a few days following!

ETA:  Just read the link Ojitos posted, I'm pretty sure she gets that PHENOL one!
  • Your results will definitely be different than mine because I have very dry skin. I did NOT have a TCA (Trichloroacetic acid) peel though, mine was a Glycolic peel which is a little more gentle than a TCA. I had mine done a few years ago to remove the dry skin bumps on my face and I had INCREDIBLE results with two sessions.

Because of my dry skin I don't have acne or red spots so I wouldn't know what type of peel is best for you. Ojitos Verdes seems to have given you some useful information.

P.S. a friend of mine gets TCA peels for severe acne and her face is just so smooth now, I think it took her almost a year to completely clear it up though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_chemical-peel-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:05a85c15-784c-470a-bcaf-f5a558db7d33Post:de973176-1201-4583-b502-12dc4b85c667">Re: Chemical peel</a>:
    [QUOTE] I've had a chemical peel and it worked wonders, but to get visible results you'll need either a really deep peel performed by a doc which will have downtime, or a series of lighter peels done by an aesthetician. <strong> One, light peel won't do much (nor would one microdermabrasion session) - don't let them tell you otherwise at a med spa.</strong>
    Posted by OjitosVerdes[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree.  I get glycolic peels, which is a very light peel and I see results from just one which last 6 months or more and I am over 40.  I got one 2 months before my wedding with plans to go back for one more but I didn't need it. I do keep up in between with microderm at home.  Does it get rid of wrinkles, no but it does smooth out my skin and diminish them to the point where my face looks much "fresher" for months.

My CW just did a deep peel--she looks great but ugh, I just don't know if I could do it.  She was very scared for the first day or two as her face was blood red and swollen and she was beet red and peeling for over a week.  She looks great, but she looked great before too.  As I don't have severe skin issues, I don't think it's worth it.
  • I have oily/combo skin. I'm a big DIY when it comes to lactic acid peels. I bought a small container online and do my own lactic acid peels. I dilute down to 40-44%. And leave on about 2 minutes. My skin has the most awesome glow. Looks very fresh.  Since you have acne prone skin, I'd recommend glycolic peels. They aren't as gentle as the lactic but they aren't invasive either (no real down time)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards