Just Engaged and Proposals

Wedding Band?

My fiance and I went to a few jeweler's looking for wedding bands yesterday. We are having a really hard time finding a band that fits my rings just right, so I've been considering just making my engagement ring my wedding band when we get married. It really is gorgeous by itself, but because of the unique shape we will probably have to end up ordering a custom shadow band. The only thing is this it's really expensive, part of me wants it, part of me doesn't care. Of course my fiance just says that he'll do whatever makes me happy, I'm just feeling a little guilty spending another grand on a wedding band. So I'm just curious to see if there are other people out there who don't wear a wedding band and why you decided not to? Or reasons as to why you chose to get a wedding band/why it's important to you. Just looking for ideas to try to make my decision easier :) 

Thanks! 

Re: Wedding Band?

• Many brides chose to use their engagement ring as both.  Are you going to local jewelers or name jewelers, like the ones in the mall?  I would try a few of both to get price quotes, but a local jeweler might end up being cheaper.

Do you have a photo of your engagement ring so we can see exactly what shape it is?
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • oh yeah that's a good idea, we went to Kay's (where my engagement ring was bought) and Fred Meyer's. I just thought it would be easier getting it from the same place, but local jewelers is a great idea! I attached a pic of my ring here. The little grooves on the side kept getting in the way of all the bands that we thought may work.
  • Beautiful!  Are you opposed to wearing your engagement ring on your right hand and get a band?

Or you can get a band that doesn't necessarily match.  If you don't mind a gap, this might work for you too.  
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My fiance and I went to a few jeweler's looking for wedding bands yesterday. We are having a really hard time finding a band that fits my rings just right, so I've been considering just making my engagement ring my wedding band when we get married. It really is gorgeous by itself, but because of the unique shape we will probably have to end up ordering a custom shadow band.

Congratulations on your engagement!  I had a similar situation- my ring is set very low, so nothing was sitting flush (and I didn't like the gap)  What we ended up doing (and I'm sorry that I don't have a picture of the two together, but my ring is in the safe until our wedding day!) was getting a band that wasn't a "perfect" match.  I was originally looking at a straight baguette band, but the gap was much more defined.  I instead, we went with a shared prong set infinity band (please excuse my big fingers! lol).  The prongs give the band and the erring a little bit of definition and allow each to stand out on their own, but not overpower or meld into each other.  I had considered rings with notches (bc I don't like the curved band) but was talked out of it because the ring "can't" be worn alone then.

There is no right or wrong answer- it's your ring, and your hand, so whatever you are comfortable with is the right choice!  I had also considered the custom ring, but then when I saw this band with my ring, it was perfect! 

Good luck! :) 
  • Thank you! I am a little OCD so the bands that we tried that were close but had a gap really bothered me. I think I will just have to look around a little bit more.
  • Thank you! I am a little OCD so the bands that we tried that were close but had a gap really bothered me. I think I will just have to look around a little bit more.
    That was me too!  It took me a few months of looking at pictures online (and seeing other people's rings and noticing that even when they are perfectly flush- as you move, so do they, and they're not flush anymore) to finally come to terms with the little gap I will have.  Good luck! :)
  • I have a very original/different engagement ring. It's a ring FI's dad made back in the 70s. I first thought about having a custom band made for it, but it would have been very expensive, and would have taken away from the beauty of the e-ring. I decided that I'm going to wear my engagement ring on my right hand, and then I designed a really pretty wedding band for my ring finger.
  • When we bought my engagement ring, I was planning on not having a wedding band.  My ring is a split shank anyway, so it already kind of looks like there's two bands on it.  After wearing my engagement ring for a while now, I'm actually thinking of getting the cheapest, completely plain wedding band I can find.  I was thinking that if I'm working outside or doing something that might get my engagement ring dirty or damaged but still want to have a ring on, a cheap, plain band I can throw on instead might be the way to go.  Then when my engagement ring is on, I can throw the wedding band on the other hand or even the same finger if I don't mind how it looks.  My mom does the same thing.  She'll wear her engagement ring unless she is working out, gardening, etc., in which case she only wears a plain, gold, thin wedding band.
  • We had a custom band made to fit my heirloom ring.  It was surprisingly affordable - I had a gold chain that I never, ever wear that our jeweler even gave us credit for.  In the end, the ring looks beautiful and like it is a set.  You'd never know it was an heirloom ring and a custom made band just by looking at it.  We couldn't be more thrilled with the outcome.  If having the band is important to you, check your options.  It worked out great for us!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks everyone for your responses :) I am leaning towards just having my engagement my ring because I honestly just love the way it looks by itself, maybe add more to it down the road for anniversary or something :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards