Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Vows in Spanish?

My fiancé and I are both Spanish speakers but I was born and raised here, while my fiancé has only been speaking English for about a year. We are getting married in the United States but about 90% of our guests are native Spanish speakers, including those closest to us. My fiancé is much more comfortable speaking in Spanish and we're not sure if he should say his vows in Spanish or attempt them in English. He tends to get very nervous when speaking in front of people in English and he is nervous that he will stumble over his words. Should he do them in English and hope for the best or do them in Spanish and then interpret them for non-Spanish speakers?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Vows in Spanish?

• suorange said:

My fiancé and I are both Spanish speakers but I was born and raised here, while my fiancé has only been speaking English for about a year. We are getting married in the United States but about 90% of our guests are native Spanish speakers, including those closest to us. My fiancé is much more comfortable speaking in Spanish and we're not sure if he should say his vows in Spanish or attempt them in English. He tends to get very nervous when speaking in front of people in English and he is nervous that he will stumble over his words. Should he do them in English and hope for the best or do them in Spanish and then interpret them for non-Spanish speakers?

I say do them in Spanish. I don't think you need to do them again in English. I went to a bilingual wedding last year and the programs included Spanish & English translations for everything.
  • Do them in Spanish. If you want, you could add the English translation to your programs (if having), but it's completely unnecessary.

I went to a wedding over the weekend that was about 80% English speakers and 20% French - they did their vows in English because it's their native language. NBD.
    *********************************************************************************

• I am a retired church organist.  I have played at ceremonies where the vows were said in Mandarin, Spanish,  Yoruba (Nigeria), and Korean.  Use whatever language you and your guests are most comfortable.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Our wedding will trilingual-ish: majority on English, lasso in Spanish, breaking of the glass and 7 blessings on Hebrew. Our thought is that everything in a different language will either be explained as we go by the officiant or spelled out in the program.
    Easy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Awesome, thank you ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree. Espanol for the win!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards