Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Ways to honour (not dead) family members

Hi all! I am getting married at the end of October and I have been racking my brain for ideas of ways to honour my godparents at my wedding (I have a total of 4), especially my godfathers, as I do not have  a good relationship with my father and they have really stood in that role for me to the best of their ability.

The problem is, none of the standard canned answers really work for me. I am walking down the aisle with my groom and there are no special readings that they can/would feel comfortable doing during the service. I am trying to figure out a way to do something special for them during the reception, but dancing with them would be long and tedious for the guests, and me giving a toast to them seems like it would be much the same.

Any ideas from the internet wedding hive mind?

Re: Ways to honour (not dead) family members

• Options
    Hi all! I am getting married at the end of October and I have been racking my brain for ideas of ways to honour my godparents at my wedding (I have a total of 4), especially my godfathers, as I do not have  a good relationship with my father and they have really stood in that role for me to the best of their ability.

The problem is, none of the standard canned answers really work for me. I am walking down the aisle with my groom and there are no special readings that they can/would feel comfortable doing during the service. I am trying to figure out a way to do something special for them during the reception, but dancing with them would be long and tedious for the guests, and me giving a toast to them seems like it would be much the same.

I suggest you write each a letter telling them how important they have been to you your whole life. Give them the letters before your ceremony. 

Btw, hive?
  • Options

Just get them a corsage / boutonnière.
  • Options

I suggest you write each a letter telling them how important they have been to you your whole life. Give them the letters before your ceremony. 

Btw, hive?
    Lol . . . hive, like a bee hive - like a collective consciousness or intelligence. Guess that only made sense in my own head.  . .

The letter idea has been the best idea I could come up with myself so far, and it's what I will probably end up doing, but I jut really want to make it special, and I tell them all the time how important they have been to me.

If my dad doesn't show for the wedding, I will probably dived the Father/Daughter dance time slot between them both.
  • Options
    Invite them to a special dinner at a nice (affordable) restaurant.

I also like the letter idea.  You can even give them tributes in programs if you are doing them.

But at your ceremony, I'd rein in the urge to honor people.  If you don't want to ask them to be in your wedding party, act as ushers, do readings, or perhaps sing, then I wouldn't try to find "roles" for them.  Just being a guest is an "honor."
  • Options
    I like the letter idea as NYCMercedes suggested. Also, the corsage/boutonniere idea that Sarahbear31 had.

Another thought could be to seat them right before the grandparents in the processional.  

• Options
    If these men have been father figures to you and your dad has been absent, you could any combination of several things:

- have both of them walk you down the aisle
    - have one of them walk you down the aisle and one do the spotlight dance
    - write them heart felt letters
    - give them boutonnieres
    - ask them to do readings
    - seat them in the front row at the ceremony
    - give them a good seat at the reception
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

We wanted to involved both our fathers & mothers in our ceremony, so after dad walked me down the aisle, instead of him "giving me away", we had all 4 of our parents stand, officiant said something about how support of those close can help our marriage thrive and asked "who supports this union?", and all parents said "we do".  Something like that may be an option and have your parents & godparents all participate.  It meant a lot to us (and them) to have them involved and to have them public show that support for our marriage.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards