Wedding Woes

We don't want to pray with our kid

Dear Prudence,
Three months ago, my wife’s and my dreams came true when we adopted our 5-year-old son. He’s a great kid: smart, positive, thoughtful, and we love him unconditionally. We knew to expect certain challenges with adopting an older child, and we’ve tried to prepare for just about every possibility, but this particular scenario really has us stumped: My wife and I are not religious, and have made the decision to not try to force any religious (or non-religious belief) on our child, but try to stay open and honest so that he can draw his own conclusions. Our son was, at some point, brought up in a religious environment, and prays in the morning, and before he goes to bed. His praying is absolutely no problem to us, if it brings him fulfillment, that’s great. The problem is that he has recently asked us to join him in some of his prayers, and that’s just something we don’t do. What do we do? We want honesty to be a cornerstone of our family, and we want him to be able to embrace people’s differences in beliefs, but he’s only been with us three months and we don’t want him to feel ostracized, or hurt. We want him to know that we support him, but we also want to be open about our own lack of faith, but he’s 5 after all.

—Humanist Parents

Re: We don't want to pray with our kid

• Could they just participate and consider the gesture as a thoughtful gratitude exercise or reflection on the day? That is somewhat the function of prayer anyway.

No need to lie or reference to God or any higher entity...put a humanist spin on things "I'm thankful for the generosity and love of my coworkers/family/community..I resolve to help out/be kind/honor personhood, etc...dang, that was some delicious cake, I'm thankful baker shares their gifts with others to provide a moment of joy in the lives of others...

Kid may actually learn/internalize those kind of lessons, and some pretty profound ones (like godless does not equal moral-less or selfish, and maybe appeasing the man upstairs is not the reason you should be good/kind). Then, if/when kid notices absence of God, have that discussion, when it's not nearly as ostracizing as "I refuse to do this activity with you"

With a lot of forethought and reflection, it could be a positive exercise.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • This is something that I would at least sit with the kid while he prayed.  I've run into similar situations before and it's about recognizing some else's faith (even though I have opinions about "faith" at 5).  I just don't bow my head or participate in the prayer.  They need to explain that and why.
  • Oh boy...  I can relate. My mom takes DD to church (Sunday School) occasionally, which was fine when she was little - I never saw the harm in it though DH objected, but now...  Now that she is old enough to ask questions and put things together...  Ugh.  DH and I need to buckle down and figure out our stance, let my mom know what's acceptable, etc.  Parenting is hard, yo.
  • Yeah....the differences in beliefs and practices...yep, that's coming around the bend soon enough. Had to do some reflection and crystallizing about what to say and how to put
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards