Wedding Reception Forum

Chair covers... really?

Ok ya'll, seriously... do I need chair covers? My ceremony and reception are in the same location, an awesome 1940's movie theatre that's been renovated for the last 30 years to be a wedding space. It's going to need a little sprucing up to fit my more vintage/lace/chalkboard detail feel, but do I really need chair covers? They're $4.50 apiece and I have almost 200 guests. I just feel it's a detail no one's going to notice, and I can save money if I skip them. Thoughts?

Re: Chair covers... really?

• I would not get them. So much better spent elsewhere.

• You definitely don't need them. My venue also charges extra for them and I will be declining. No one will even notice. I went a wedding last week and can't even remember what the tables or chairs looked like.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Think back to any wedding you've ever been to. Do you remember what the chairs looked like? Probably not. Most people won't notice this detail at all. Definitely money better spent elsewhere or saved. 
  • No you don't need chair covers. I never give a shit what chairs looks like. That money is much better spent on a passed app, upgraded drinks, or even on just your honeymoon.
    *********************************************************************************

• The last wedding I attended that had full on linens and chair covers looked behind the times and the opposite of fresh and trendy.  

Unless the chairs are HIDEOUS - I believe that trend is going away.  (Thankfully!)  

So no - please skip it
  • Nope. As long as the chairs aren't rusty or otherwise disgusting, nobody will care.

• I really really really hate ugly chairs, or chairs that clash.
    But I hate chair covers even more. 
    When we were planning daughter's wedding, my mom actually suggested chair covers, because the venue had seriously ugly blue and chrome office chairs, which no. Just no. It would have hurt my eyes. And yes, I cared.
    But chair covers? Worse. (I put a big white sheet over my head and tied a scarf around my middle and said, Hey, mom. Don't I look better? Next time I look crappy I'm just doing this. Wow, what an improvement.)

I would rather rent plain folding wooden chairs, than see a chair cover. 
  • Nope! I hate chair covers.  i'm more likely to notice the chair if it has a cover than without.   My mom tried to insist I get chair covers.  She hated our chairs when I brought her to look at the venue (I not only didn't hate them, I liked them)     Ironically the place they had my shower had almost the same chairs so after it I asked my mom what she thought of the chairs.  She had no idea what they looked like and no opinion on them at all...so point was proven and she got over the covers.  

• Chair covers look so dated to me. They're starting to go away, thankfully. (I was never a fan.)

Plus, they get all messed up when people hang their purses on the chair and move around during dinner. Andplusalso, they're expensive.

Skip them.
  • I hate chair covers. I also hate fuzzy or otherwise decorative toilet lid covers. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ok I also have a question. My venue has Hideous chairs they're this maroon color with a huge ugly flower print in them... my colors are silver and blue.... do you u think anyone will notice the horrible, horrible clash if I don't do covers.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Have you looked into just renting chairs? Funny enough when I was looking up chairs for our engagement party they were cheaper then 4.50 unless you wanted chiavari chairs they were quite expensive ($8/each).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cwradford said:
    Ok I also have a question. My venue has Hideous chairs they're this maroon color with a huge ugly flower print in them... my colors are silver and blue.... do you u think anyone will notice the horrible, horrible clash if I don't do covers.

Nobody cares about what chairs look like. OP's guests won't care about the chairs and neither will yours.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    cwradford said:
    Ok I also have a question. My venue has Hideous chairs they're this maroon color with a huge ugly flower print in them... my colors are silver and blue.... do you u think anyone will notice the horrible, horrible clash if I don't do covers.

Nobody cares about what chairs look like. OP's guests won't care about the chairs and neither will yours.
    I would notice. I mean, nobody cares, within reason, but huge ugly maroon flower print? With silver and blue? I personally wouldn't do it, even if none of the guests gave a damn. Because clashing and ugly freaks me out. And with all respect, and understanding that I'm in the minority here, hell yes, I would notice. And I would wonder why, after all the expense of a wedding and carefully choosing a color scheme, nobody said, the chairs look like flowered maroon monsters.

The very basic folding wooden chairs in white, black, or wood, are cheaper than chair covers. And more comfortable. You bet I'd do it. 
  • I'm renting plain black folding chairs...$1.70 each.
    Chair covers whisper to me 'there's something ugly under me...'
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    cwradford said:
    I think this is where a lot of people over-think.  

Maroon, silver and blue all compliment each other.  I'm not sure the the color of the flower is, but it's not something I would worry about.   An empty room one might notice, once people are sitting down their own clothes would cover up the chairs it just becomes a non-issue. 

I'm not sure what kid of blue you are using.  I think I would lean more towards sliver or white for the table cloths.  Then use the blue as the pop of color.

ETA - here is a picture with maroon and blue.  Your's could look like a flip of the table cloth and chair colors.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards