Maryland

The Tea Barn in Elkton, MD

I am looking to hold my reception at the tea barn in Elkton, MD. There isn't a website, and I have not had a chance to visit yet. Has anyone had a reception there, and would be willing to post or send me some pictures just to give me an idea? Any information about the venue would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

Re: The Tea Barn in Elkton, MD

• KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    I am looking to hold my reception at the tea barn in Elkton, MD. There isn't a website, and I have not had a chance to visit yet. Has anyone had a reception there, and would be willing to post or send me some pictures just to give me an idea? Any information about the venue would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
    I don't have any good photos yet, but if you search Tea Barn on here, a couple of posters have put up a few before.  We're having our reception there this August.  Here's some info about it:

-It is $410 (at least, this was the rate we had last year when we booked) and you get it for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  This is just for the barn.  If you also want your ceremony there in the Paddock Field, it's an additional $150.  Other fees: $35 for a day of liquor license and $300 for the deposit to get the keys.  If you clean up properly after yourselves, you get the deposit back; if not, you forfeit the $300.

-It is a bare bones barn.  There are two bathrooms downstairs, but there is no kitchen or other food prep and there is also no heating or air conditioning.  You have to bring in everything and do everything yourself.  The only things provided are rectangular tables (I think there's about 17 tables) and brown metal folding chairs.  The barn holds up to 125 people.

-The months that book up first are the good weather months (May, June, September, October) and it gets very competitive.  You can only book one year ahead of time on the Monday after the weekend you'd like and you can book starting at 8am.  Say, for instance, you want to be married there July 18th, 2015...you would go there at 8am on July 21st, 2014 to (hopefully) book it.  You can call, too, but in person gets preference.  There are a few weekends when you can't book, like Memorial Day weekend because of the Fair Hill Races and the weekend of the summer carnival.  They can tell you the blackout weekends if you ask.

-There is a built in bar downstairs and upstairs, but there are no refrigerators so you have to bring in coolers to keep your ice and drinks cold.

-If you want to go there to look around, I suggest just going there on a weekday.  If it isn't open and no-one is nearby to ask, you have to go to the office, which is back by the stables.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or would like vendor recommendations if you do book there.  After August, I can post photos.

• Hey kpbm89,
    Do you know where we need to go to book the barn? Is the office by the barn or somewhere else in fair hill?

Also I would be interested in seeing any photos you have.
    Thank you and congrats on your wedding!!
  • I went over there this morning to try and book for next year. No success yet, but I did find out that in person does not get preference.
  • @maddy2121 We don't have any pro photos back yet (they took some inside the barn), but I'm attaching one from when we were setting up that Friday so you can get a general idea of our layout.  We used the three tables for our king's table and then four rows of two tables.  We had 80 guests.  The cake was on a round table where there is a corner next to the top of the stairs and the DJ was next to the balcony doors in that corner.  We used the other round table as a gift table.

We were told in person received preference when we had called in to book at 7:55am and someone was already there in person, so they gave it to them over us.  It must've just been their timing!  But the following week, we were the only ones who called, so we got it luckily!  

The Tea Barn has become very popular over the last couple of years, so best of luck to you getting a weekend you really want!  It really is a fantastic space on beautiful grounds.  It was a TON of work doing everything ourselves, but it was totally worth it!  

One big tip I have for you if you're planning on hanging anything from the beams/ ceiling: you can't use their ladders (liability issue), so be sure to bring one!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards