Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Wedding nails?

I need to get my nails done for the wedding and have no idea what to do.

My BM/FSIL wants to take me to the place she gets her nails done. They specialize in acrylics and fancy designs. I don't do fake nails but I have been assured that they can do no chips- a requirement for my clumsy self. I'm up in the air on designs- I've never had anything beyond the random flower on a toe, but I keep thinking there might be something fun I could do.

I don't get my nails done often and think it could be fun to try something different. I don't keep my nails terribly long but I'm open-minded. I just don't want something cheesy or that will be embarrassing in photos 20 years from now. My current plan is to go with my standard light pink but I'd love something more interesting.

What did you do with your nails for the wedding? Any recommendations?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Wedding nails?

• Options
    I went with a standard light pink.  I usually think subtle is best when it comes to nails.  But then again I am not a huge fan of painting my nails and typically stick with neutrals when I do.  You could always do an accent nail...

But I also like when there is a smidge of sparkle on each nail.  It is still neutral but adds a touch of fun and whimsy...

• Options

I'm personally getting 3D acrylic nails for my wedding, but that's only because I'm very much so into it LOL

If you're afraid of getting a plain manicure that can chip, I recommend getting a gel manicure. They'll last like 3 weeks! Good luck :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @khristiana- I swear by no-chip manicures. They usually last until I take the polish off-- about 12-14 days. I could keep them longer but I start getting annoyed by the growth. Also, date twins!

I have no idea what 3D acrylics are!

@maggie0829- I actually have the picture with the glitter saved on a Pinterest board. For some reason, I can never get comfortable with accent nails. I love the glitter idea but wonder if it's too cheesy...
  • Options
    @wandajune6 Awesome!! it's right around the corner... Congrats ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Eh, a dusting of glitter or one nail that has glitter really isn't enough to qualify it as cheesy.  Now if every nail was full out glitter and you had super long fake nails as well then it may be a bit much.  Honestly, unless you are getting super up close pictures taken of your hands/nails only you and the person you go with to get your nails done will really see what is going on with your finger nails.

• Options
    You make a good point. Maybe I'll give that a try after all!
  • Options
    I did this. It was cool because you really couldn't tell anything from far away (and it doesn't show in our photos), but it was fun up close.

• Options
    emmyg65 said:
    I did this. It was cool because you really couldn't tell anything from far away (and it doesn't show in our photos), but it was fun up close.

I love those! Kinda like what Maggie and I saw. So cute!
  • Options
    I really like the 2nd and 3rd examples Maggie provided.
  • Options
    I do not get my nails done. I got fakes for high school prom and right them off that night and swore never again. I am also not a manicure type of person. So I painted mine the morning of my wedding with a teal that matched my shoes, that I bought at Walmart. I loved it and got tons of compliments. But I do love those neutral, sparkly ones the girls posted above! 

• Options
    I do all kinds of nail art and fun things with my nails all the time. I have a whole box of rhinestones and funky little things. I decided for my wedding I would rather do something classy so I just got a gel manicure with a french manicure. I was really happy with that decision.
  • Options
    I would suggest the shellac type nail polish. It lasts up to two weeks, but it does not add length to your nails. The shellac comes in a variety of colors too. Most nails salons carry some type of brand and I find most places range between $25-$35. It also doesn't require any drying time.
    They're marketing that as no-chip in my area. That's what I always get-- I'm too clumsy otherwise!
  • Options
    Another nod for gel/shellac.  Love it.  Have it on now.  If I don't pick at the end (the side close to the nail bed), I can get almost a month out of it!  While I have an easy desk job, I play sports and it still doesn't chip after dealing with horses or swim practice.  I always get a thin french tip.  I think they look clean and grow out nicely since you don't notice where the clear is growing away from the nail bed, and they're glossy.  If you want a less white tip, ask for American tips.  They're more ivory than white.

I'm not a fan of accent nails, I think it cheapens an elegant manicure, but to each his/her own.

My gel nails right now--got them done on/about Sept. 13:

• Options
    I did gel / shellac for my wedding, too.  I chose a boring nude because I wanted to play it safe. 

I'm normally a fan of funky colors, though.  Right now, my nails are painted with this polish -

• Options
    I'm a fake nail fan... I love the sparkle and over the top look.
    I'm probably going to get my nails done like I did when I got engaged.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I did a pale pink with the gel polish.  I rarely get my nails done because I am way too impatient and always mess it up before I even get home.  Gel polish dries instantly and lasts for weeks.  I only took mine off once it started to grow out too much.  Getting it off is a pain, you have to soak in remover for a few minutes, but def worth it for a special occasion.  
  • Options
    I think nail designs are super cheesey, especially for such an important event! You want to look timeless and classy. I'm all for the French or another neutral look.
  • Options
    They have the right idea. Just do something simple like silver sparkles

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards