Outdoor Weddings

When is it too cold for an outdoor wedding?

Been invited to an outdoor evening wedding at the very end of September in the Pacific Northwest. It often gets chilly in the summer evenings, so September will be even colder most likely in the low 60's to low 50's for this location, possibly raining. At what point does one think "is it too late in the year to have this outside?" I hate being cold, for this reason have declined to attend. Maybe I'm a wuss.

Re: When is it too cold for an outdoor wedding?

• Oh, I think that ship sailed for that wedding!  It will be way too cold for an outdoor wedding.
  • Aries775 said:

Been invited to an outdoor evening wedding at the very end of September in the Pacific Northwest. It often gets chilly in the summer evenings, so September will be even colder most likely in the low 60's to low 50's for this location, possibly raining. At what point does one think "is it too late in the year to have this outside?" I hate being cold, for this reason have declined to attend. Maybe I'm a wuss.

I think a lot of this depends on the crowd. So if your guests are native Texans, they might be freezing if it's 65 degrees and they're outside for a 20 minute ceremony. If they're from the mountains of Washington, 65 is probably no big deal.

If an outdoor wedding is done right, they have a plan B for inclement weather (that includes rain and extreme heat/cold). They should have cut off temps and conditions where they initiate Plan B. This might mean moving the wedding inside or having a tent with/without heaters/air conditioning.

If I were hosting a wedding and it was supposed to be 50 degrees and raining, there's no doubt I'd initiate Plan B. I'd be very surprised and appalled if these folks don't have a plan B. Of course, if you don't think they will or for any other reason, you are certainly free to decline any invitation - its not a summons.
    *********************************************************************************

• Been invited to an outdoor evening wedding at the very end of September in the Pacific Northwest. It often gets chilly in the summer evenings, so September will be even colder most likely in the low 60's to low 50's for this location, possibly raining. At what point does one think "is it too late in the year to have this outside?" I hate being cold, for this reason have declined to attend. Maybe I'm a wuss.
    I think a lot of this depends on the crowd... They should have cut off temps and conditions where they initiate Plan B.
    Yes, this. It really depends on the crowd and the venue plan. There are even winter weddings outside in the snow! But you really have to know your guests, prepare them and the venue accordingly. 50 or 60 degrees outside is just fine for me if I have a coat. I'd probably even be fine at 30 or 40 degrees if I was properly dressed to handle the cold. I think it's more difficult to have a formal/semi-formal event outside in cold weather because dressy attire is typically intended for indoor use (dresses with exposed legs, sky high heels with exposed toes, etc). 
  • I also think it depends on the crowd and the venue. We're getting married in NY at the end of this month. Weather permitting, the short 10 minute ceremony will be outside. I'm planning for the weather to be between 60 and 70 degrees. If it ends up being any colder, I will move it inside.
  • I think it's definitely something that depends on the crowd. We're getting married outside (fingers crossed), in the beginning of October. Here in Michigan, the weather is a big joke - it could be 75 and sunny or 60 and raining...I do have a plan B though :)
  • Agree with this being a know-your-crowd thing. I am having an evening, outdoor wedding at the end of September in Western NY. Ceremony at 6:30 and I'm hoping the highs for the day will be between 65 and 75. 20 minute ceremony. If it gets any chillier than that, ceremony will be moved indoors. Cocktail hour and reception are already planned for inside.
  • I have to agree with others that I think it depends on where your guests are from. I'm from the midwest and 60's aren't that cold for us. But then again, I have a friend who gets cold so easily, she brings a jacket to the ice cream store in July. I would hope that for the guests sake that the couple has a backup rain plan and probably then some outdoors heaters too if it's still outdoors in a tent & raining. I don't think you were wrong to decline, you know your comfort level. No reason to go to an event and be miserable.
  • I guess it all depends on what weather you are used to.

My FI and I are having our wedding September 26th next year with an outdoor ceremony. And where we live the weather will most likely be around 15 - 20 C.
    But that is not cold at all for people who live here.

• As soon as someone says that there will be rain, I would not be happy about being outside (and I'm British!)

I generally think the rule of thumb is anything that requires something beyond a light wrap (pashmina, light cardigan etc) is too cold for outside. 
  • I'm in the midst of debating this... our wedding is 10/24 in Maryland.  Could be 80.  Could be 50.  Who knows!  Most of our guests are from NY or NJ, and can hack the cold fairly well.  If it stays above 60, I really want to the ceremony to be outdoors.  But it has turned cold pretty quickly this year and if it falls below, I'm moving inside.  If its below like 65-68, I'll probably be buying light blanket/shrugs/pashimas of some sort to distribute.  We also posted the estimated temperature on our wedding website and have been talking to guests about it so they have a general awareness.
  • No matter the time of year there can always be freaky unexpected hot or cold weather. You can plan an outdoor wedding whenever you want as long as you have a backup plan for poor weather.
  • Aries775 said:

Is the entire wedding outside, ceremony and reception? If so, I'd understand not wanting to risk it. But if it's just the reception that is outside, I'd go and simply be prepared for the weather. I'm guessing this isn't a close friend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards