Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR: Wake etiquette

melbensomelbenso member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited September 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
An old friend of mine passed away last weekend, unexpectedly. His family had a private viewing before he was cremated, but a wake is scheduled for Saturday for his family and friends. Based on the location of the wake and the information I received about it, I believe this is intended to be more of a party to celebrate his life and a means for his friends and family to gather and reminisce. While I expect there to be some moments of sadness and memorials, I also expect there to be a decent amount of drinking based on the location and people attending.

When I got the information about the wake, I passed it on to a couple of out of town friends who also knew my friend who passed away. They live about a 2 hour drive from the city I live in, which is also where the wake is. One of my friends initially told me she would not be able to make it because she had to work early the next morning (the wake runs 6-10 p.m.). She later told me that she would come if our other friend was able to drive down with her - I assume so she could share driving and she could get some rest on the way home and get to work the next morning. Ok, fine.

This is where things start to get weird. She texted me this morning and told me she planned to bring her 15-year-old son, who doesn't really know our friend who passed away - he probably met him briefly when he was a toddler, but that is it. I reminded her that there would likely be a lot of drinking. She's decided to leave her son with her sister. Cool. Probably a good plan. Even if there isn't lots of drinking, the kid is going to be bored senseless.

What's really bothering me now, is that she has now texted that she is going to bring her boyfriend "because he needs a night away too." I responded "he needs a night away at a wake?" Her response, "no, a night away from home." I wanted to say, "this is a wake, not a birthday party," but I held my tongue. (Her boyfriend never met our friend. I understand her wanting moral support at a wake, except that that doesn't sound like her plan.). This is bothering me for two reasons: first and foremost, I'm not really happy that she is turning my friend's wake into a getaway with her boyfriend, and second, she is assuming that she is staying at my house, which would be fine if it was just her (and possibly our other friend) but now she is inviting her boyfriend who I have met three times to stay over without asking me if its ok. (It's not. We have a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment - 5 adults staying is just too much.). And I'm not going to want to have some sort of party right after going to my friend's wake.

Am I out of line for being this upset by her behavior? If not, how do I address this with her?

Re: NWR: Wake etiquette

• There were paragraphs when I typed that. iPad and the knot don't get along.
  • The other person is also coming. I guess I forgot to mention that part.
  • I do find it a bit inappropriate that she seems to be approaching it almost as a date night (her boyfriend "needs a night out") though. I don't know much about wakes. Are they community events where all are invited?
  • This is a slightly non-traditional wake, from what I can tell.  Most wakes I have been to were at a funeral home the night before a burial service and have been open to the public.  Their existence is "advertized" in the person's obituary.  In this case, the family had a private "viewing" before the burial service - just for close family and the closest friends of the deceased, and are having this wake, at a social club in town, for his wider group of friends and family.  While I would assume that it is not open to the general public (who knows, it might be) since the invitation was sent around personally by the best friend of my friend who passed away, I also would assume that his friends bringing their significant others is expected.  My husband would be coming with me if he didn't have a prior commitment out of town that evening that he won't be back from until late. 

I don't have any problem with her bringing her boyfriend, and I doubt that anyone else would.  It was her attitude that they were coming to stay over night and have a great fun time and get away that I found bothersome. 

I also expect that this wake will be somewhat less the somber, hug the family, say a few kind words, sign a guest book and go type affair that most wakes I have been to are.  I think it will be more of the Irish wake, lets make lots of toasts to our dear departed friend and tell crazy stories for hours kind of wake.

And I did talk to her.  I said that I understood that she had been under a lot of stress lately and I would love for her and her boyfriend to come down for a weekend to hang out, but that I wouldn't be feeling up to going out and having a grand old time after the wake, which I didn't think would be the kind of party that makes for a great getaway weekend.  I also asked where they would be staying, since I didn't think I could accommodate that many people in my house.  It didn't go as well as I hoped - she got pretty mad when I asked about where they were staying.  But it's all been taken care of now.  If boyfriend does come, they will stay at a hotel and she understands I probably won't be feeling up for going out after the wake.
  • edited June 2015
  • I'm curious why you passed along the information. Were you asked to? I'm assuming if these people were close friends with the deceased, they would already know or ask the family directly. It doesn't seem appropriate to invite people when it's not your event.
  • Teddy917 said:
    I'm curious why you passed along the information. Were you asked to? I'm assuming if these people were close friends with the deceased, they would already know or ask the family directly. It doesn't seem appropriate to invite people when it's not your event.
    I've always been under the impression that a wake was a bit more informal and that people passed date/time information to others. I don't think OP was out of line by passing along the information.

• Of course she got mad when you asked where she was staying. That's really passive aggressive. "I'm bringing boyfriend!" "Sorry, I don't have room for another guest." Pretty straightforward if you leave out all the other judgy nonsense.
  • Teddy917 said:
    I'm curious why you passed along the information. Were you asked to? I'm assuming if these people were close friends with the deceased, they would already know or ask the family directly. It doesn't seem appropriate to invite people when it's not your event.

Yes, I was supposed to pass the information on to them.  The friend who gave it to me didn't have their current contact information.

• Of course she got mad when you asked where she was staying. That's really passive aggressive. "I'm bringing boyfriend!" "Sorry, I don't have room for another guest." Pretty straightforward if you leave out all the other judgy nonsense.
    I told her we wouldn't have room for everyone at my house first.
  • Bringing the boyfriend for a night out: awkward. I bring FI to funerals where he's never met the person because I need the support. I would never even pass it off as his needing a night out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards