November 2014 Weddings

Can it just be Nov. 14th already?

I'm 44 days out and I guess I just need to vent.  I thought all of the wrinkles had been ironed out and for two weeks it's been one hit after another.

First, due to FMIL's hostility toward FI he decided he would not be inviting her (this was a lifetime in coming, it really doesn't have anything to do with me or the wedding directly). FI's cousin called last night and wanted to get into it with FI.  FI handled it fine but it's lovely to know his mother is calling basically anyone in his family (including people we didn't invite) and instructing them that it's her or our wedding and if they come to the wedding she will find out and never speak to them again. Ugh.

Then, it has rained the last 3 times we scheduled engagement pictures and today is really our only day because I can not take any more time off of work and our photographer has weddings booked solid every weekend between now and then.  So that's that- no engagement pictures.  I know this isn't a huge thing, but I was looking forward to actually working with our photographer before the wedding.

We had two groomsmen- FI's nearest and dearest friends.  One of them called yesterday to say he just can't come all the way to CT (he lives in Brooklyn) and that he loves us and hopes we have a great wedding but his mental state is such that he doesn't feel comfortable traveling.  I want him to be well and to take care of himself so I'm not angry with him, I'm just bummed that this is his situation.

Only 4 guests booked rooms and our block ended yesterday.  People got save-the-dates, we have a website, there was an insert in the invite, and I verbally reminded people at my shower.  Today aunt texts me hysterical that the hotel is telling her they have no rooms. 

What's next?!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Can it just be Nov. 14th already?

• This may not be to helpful now but if it's not raining to hard some pictures in the rain might be pretty cute. Grab an umbrella or if you have a conservatory or a nice indoor garden spot or something like that.
  • I offered that up to our photographer but he doesn't think it's a good idea. He offered to do a family photo session after the wedding and actually I have much more use for a nice photo of the 4 of us together. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

On another "things are looking up" note we got our marriage license today and are taking advantage of the opening in our schedules to sneak out for a movie date.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am so sorry this is happening to you and your FI.  It's horrible that your FMIL is basically trying to rip your FI's family apart and to pit your FI against the rest of the family.  Please support your FI the best you can.

I had people book after the room blocks were due too!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm sorry that you're dealing with the FMIL issues.  That completely sucks, but at least at this point she is making herself look like an asshole.

As far as the engagement shoot goes, that sucks.  I am happy that it's a blessing in disguise, but I live in CT too (not sure what part you're in) and I would be so annoyed about the rain-outs because we have had such nice weather for most of the summer.

I would be sad about the friend too, and I'm sorry that he had to back out this late.  However, it's so awesome of you that you're more concerned about his overall well-being.

Room blocks are really frustrating.  Our blocks end in two weeks, and my family (as in, immediate family) still has NO FREAKING IDEA of what they are doing.  My Mom and sister are looking to stay in condos, but I warned them that there are some that are SUPER inconvenient.  At this point, I've given them their warning... that is their problem.

Also with room blocks- where I am in CT, hotels are freaking hard to come by.  It's mostly B&Bs or stuff that is 15+ minutes away.  Once again, not sure where you are- but I would be beyond frustrated with people if I had busted my hump to find something convenient, reminded people, and they STILL didn't get it together.  (I understand if you're waiting for work, or money is tight.. but everyone else- what the heck?!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's exactly how I feel about this weather. We've rescheduled three times. Of course yesterday at 4 p.m. when our appointment would have been, it cleared up considerably. We're in central CT and on Sunday we had friends going to the beach- gotta love New England weather.

FI's mother has pretty much been like this for his entire life. Too bad for her that his entire extended family knows this. Our answer has been a steady "we really don't want to ask anyone to choose sides, she has asked to not be included and we are trying to be respectful of her wishes."

I hear you ladies on room blocks. Rooms book quickly here and my guests have all known this since at least March when save-the-dates went out. At this point they're going to just have to figure out where to stay. All I could think when that happened was how I agonized over our website and what to include in our invites and how I made it a point to mention it in person and guess what- people simply do not read this stuff. Ugh.

Oh, and now for the third time the photographer has not responded when I've asked what time he will be at the hotel.

May we all make it into November with our sanity intact!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards