Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Ombre dress?

Hey all.
I was wondering if anyone has worn or plans on wearing an ombre wedding dress? I like the idea of a subtle ombre at the bottom of the dress, but most of the ones I have seen have a "homemade" look, like you dipped your dress in a bucket of dye. Any suggestions?

Re: Ombre dress?

• Options
    Do you have pictures of what you like?  I had an ombre dress that was in my top 2 choices when I went dress shopping.  I ended up going with another dress because I felt more bride like, but the ombre one I tried on was ivory at the top and faded to champagne and then to gold at the very bottom.  It was very pretty, very unique.
  • Options
    What's your budget?  I've loved the photos I've seen of the BHLDN Emma gown, but I haven't been to a store and taken a look at it.  I think the ombre is pretty subtle, but it only comes with pink ombre.  I'm not sure what color you want, what shape of dress you're after, or what your budget is.

imageimageimage
    After doing a quick Google image search for ombre wedding dress, I completely understand what you mean about the coloring.
  • Options
    I like the Mori Lee 5101 dress but I'm only 5'3" so I have a feeling it might overwhelm me. I have never had anything altered, so I'm a little cautious about finding a dress and having a professional dye it ombre, so I would like one that is already done. The little pop of color just speaks to me!
  • Options
    Allure 2765 
    mainimage
    Mori Lee 1924
    Some dresses by Chrissy Wai-Ching
    Resort by Reem Acra 
    Laurel by Modern Trousseau 
    Emma by Theia Bridal
    Paris by Monique Lhullier
    Wisteria/LZ3414 by Lazaro
    Feathers by Kelly Faetanini
    Edan by Kelly Faetanini
    Alma by Isabelle Armstrong
    Alma
    Nina by Isabelle Armstrong
    Nina
  • Options
    I like fit-n-flare and mermaid style dresses the best but that last one, the Nina by Isabelle Armstrong is beautiful too.
  • Options
    I like the Mori Lee 5101 dress but I'm only 5'3" so I have a feeling it might overwhelm me. I have never had anything altered, so I'm a little cautious about finding a dress and having a professional dye it ombre, so I would like one that is already done. The little pop of color just speaks to me!

*SITB*

This. Is. Gorgeous!  I know what you mean though about being so short and it overwhelming you, have you tried this on?  If not, I definitely would because you never know how something will really look until you try it on!  But this gown, is beautiful!
  • Options
    I think the ombre look on a dress could look gorgeous (as some of the examples posted show). However, I have also seen photos where it looks like you dipped your dress in paint and called it a day. I would think that would primarily be an issue if you tried to DIY the ombre.
  • Options
    Those dresses are gorgeous!  Very unique.

• Options
    I love these gorgeous ombre dresses! Especially that posted Edan by Kelly Faetanini.
  • Options
    Yeah, this thread is giving me mild dress regret.  Fortunately the sweetheart neckline doesn't work on me.
  • Options
    Missdelilah- No dress regrets allowed! I'm sure your dress is fabulous.
  • Options
    Lol. It is.  I just didn't see any ombre dresses while I was shopping, and wish I'd at least been able to try a few on.
  • Options
    atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    If you love ombre, go for it.  But make sure it isn't a trendy thing that you look back in 10 years at photos and wish you'd gone for something more timeless.
  • Options
    If you love ombre, go for it.  But make sure it isn't a trendy thing that you look back in 10 years at photos and wish you'd gone for something more timeless.
    Exactly this. If you're you're just kind of "into ombre right now" I wouldn't do this. People were into all kinds of trendy things like puffy sleeves, headbands, powder blue tuxes, ruffled shirts, etc. Personally I think the ombre look of today is similar to the puffy sleeves of the 80s. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'm not into the ombre part of it for the sake of calling ombre. I'm the kind of a person that moves to the beat of my own drum and pink is my fav color, so I thought pale pink ombre would be a subtle way of throwing in my crazy side, if that makes sense. If I can't find an ombre dress I like, I may take the plunge and get a blush colored dress! I just don't know how the hubby would feel about it, and I can't ask him without making it obvious. Oh, the dilemma! southernbelle0915- you named 3 things in my parents wedding: puffy sleeves, powder blue tuxes, and ruffled shirts! Gag!! Mom offered me her wedding dress, then laughed. Thanks, but no thanks
  • Options
    Exactly this. If you're you're just kind of "into ombre right now" I wouldn't do this. People were into all kinds of trendy things like puffy sleeves, headbands, powder blue tuxes, ruffled shirts, etc. Personally I think the ombre look of today is similar to the puffy sleeves of the 80s. 
    I feel the same way. That, and high-low hemlines.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I feel the same way. That, and high-low hemlines.
    High-low hemline = a fabric mullet.
    image =
    ETF pics
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    HAHA fabric mullet!!!! I love it
  • Options
    I tried on this Maggie Sottero Britannia gown a few weeks ago that was a very subtle ombre: ivory to light gold.
    On a side note, I completely agree that a lot of the high-low dresses look like a mullet. I don't mind a little tiny difference in hem length, but the one pictured is just... mullet...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I was originally thinking about doing ombre, but then decided against it because I wasn't sure if I would still like the look ten years down the road. However, that's just my personal opinion. I think if you like it - why not? Some of the dresses pictured above are absolutely stunning and very fashion-forward (at least currently). And also...yeah, we laugh at the 80's bridal fashion, but I bet some of those women have had the best weddings and most loving marriages ever. If it makes you happy, go for it! I prefer the very subtle ombre look with very soft colors (like @weddingcactus posted above) to something more drastic that can, at times, have that "dipped-paint" look. I also think that ivory dresses can pull the look off much better (ivory to pink with a belt or detail that ties it in with a little pink elsewhere or ivory to champagne or gold) than stark white dresses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards