Plus-Sized
Options

Please give me some advice

I am going wedding dress shopping on Oct 18.  I am going to a bridal salon that only sells plus sized gowns, but I've been married before (long story short, my mom planned the whole thing I had no input, and then my exh ended up being abusive.) I am engaged to a man who is the polar opposite of my ex, and now that I am planning MY OWN wedding, I want my gown to be perfect, because I want to take his breath away.  I am SO scared and nervous I still won't find anything.  I wear a size 26/28 in jeans.  I am pear shaped, small on top, with curves in the waist, then a giant backside and wide hips.  I have spanx to take.  My bust is very small for a plus sized woman (I  barely fit a B cup) so I think strapless is out of the question.  Can you offer me any tips, I'm so afraid I'm going to end up in an ivory tent for a dress.  The place I'm going has Bonny, Allure, and some others to try.  I'm also on a tight budget, would like spend $800 or less.  Do you have any tips?  Thanks in advance.

Re: Please give me some advice

• Options
    I know how you feel. I went to a David's Bridal about a month ago...and was really let down. The lady who helped me was so gracious and nice, but my hips are a huge (no pun intended) culprit. The top was fine, but my hips, even their biggest size wouldn't accomodate the hip area. I've lost 40+ lbs as well but the one area that did not lose inches was my hips. I actually posted below about this. I am also a 26/28 street size.

Don't let this get you down - just know that every size 26/28 is always different. I know many women who are our size and are able to find a dress they love. My advice also is to call the salon prior to going over there and ask if they have any dresses that are 26/28 or up to try on. Most bridal salons do not carry over a 18/20 from what I have heard.

You CAN find a dress under $800! The dress I was looking at was like $700 or so and my budget was under $1000. I ended up going with a local seamstress who will start working on my dress in Feb (I am getting married in October 2015). 

Keep us posted on what you find out, and best of luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Don't rule out trying on a strapless or any shape dress.  They can always add cups which will add volume to the bust and you can always add some kind of sleeve.  I believe they actually recommend sweetheart or V necklines for small busts (the sweetheart would be sleeveless).

As far as your size goes:  I'm a street size 16; when I got measured for my dress my bust was an 18 and my hips/butt was a 20.  My dress is a ballgown, because where the skirt starts, I was actually able to go with the 18 because my hips/butt didn't matter.  The store recommended the 18 and had another 18 by the designer in the same silhouette  that I got to try on just to prove the point that the 18 would require less alterations.  So my point with this story is that the shape of the dress might help you out with your selection.

The other thing I have to offer, if the sales consultant wants you to try on a dress, even if you don't think the shape will work for you - just try it on.  They've been in the business and they know.  I was almost refusing to try a dress on, it ended up being my 2nd pick.  I would have got that dress if I couldn't have fit my ballgown into my budget (my dress was WAY over my budget, so I had to do A LOT of rearranging of the budget to make it work, I don't recommend doing that ;o) ).

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thank you both!  I feel better now.  I think it's a mix of not planning my first wedding (I was young then too) my mom made me try on about 500 gowns at David's Bridal the first time I got married and I really didn't like the one I ended up with.  

The salon I'm going to only sells plus size gowns and it has a wonderful reputation.  I will be travelling an hour to get to it.  I'm just freaked out because I know wedding gowns are sized smaller than regular clothes, but the consultant knows my size and I'm sure they'll pick out nice gowns for me.  I'm just a nervous bride.  I've got my venue, photographer, caterer, DJ, and officiant all booked, so once I clear this gown hurdle I think I can settle down.  This board has really made me feel a lot better about this! Again, I thank you!
  • Options
    Best of luck and be open. You would be surprised at what actually works on your body.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • Options
    Please keep us posted! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Don't forget to bring a strapless bra..  they can do alterations for it to fit you and you can also use tape to keep it up if you want to go with strapless.  I to went to a plus sized dress shop and found a wonderful gown for under 600$.  You will find it keep hope.  :)

• Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2014
    That $800.00 budget is going to limit you quite a bit. Most Allure dresses will run in the $800-1400 range. Some Bonny dresses are in the $600-1200 range, but if $800.00 is your max, you may only have a few dresses that are in that price range.  Mori Lee Plus size line runs around $800-1500.00, Alfred Angelo plus size runs $900-1300ish.

As you can see, there WILL likely be options for $800.00, but if you can raise your budget by $200.00-300.00, you will probably open up a lot more possibilities.  Although, you may get super lucky and they'll have some sample/sale dresses!   You just never know until you get there. 

Don't rule out strapless. You'd be surprised. Wedding gowns aren't like regular dresses.  The structure and boning really works wonders!

Good luck!

ETA:  Best Bridal Prices will give you a good indication of what salon prices will be.  I found that this website is usually about 20-25% lower than the salons.  

Here is a link to their Bonny dresses.  Allure prices are listed as "call", but you'll get an idea of price ranges for dresses.

• Options
    I ended up with an Allure gown, it's strapless! It also has a drop waist, totally not something I ever thought I'd wear, but once they got me in it, I knew it was the one.  It also was brand new and ended up costing $648 (it was $775 retail but I got a discount for paying in full) I also got a headband and a blingy belt.
    me.jpg 76.7K
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards