Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Chair Covers?

The chairs my venue provides are UGLY, but they don't have chairs that we can switch them with and we don't have money to rent different chairs. However, they offered to cover the chairs for us for no extra charge. I'm stuck. I don't know if I should just suck it up and go with these ugly chairs or take them up on their offer of chair covers that we don't have to pay for. Some of my friends have pointed out that these chairs are kind of overtaking and now I'm worried that these chairs will take over the photos at our reception (it might be just because he was moving but I see the chairs before I see the man in the 2nd photo). Would you cover these chairs?

imageimage

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Chair Covers?

• Options
    I hate chair covers and I think they will actually make your chairs look worse (and your chairs are not bad to begin with).  Remember that on your wedding day the lights in the reception room will most likely be dimmed down.  Right now the lights are on full blast, that will not be the case during your reception.  Once the lights are dimmed and the room is fully decorated with your decor the chairs will most likely fade into the background.

• Options
    What are you wedding colors?  Will the red really clash?  Those chairs are not bad per se, but they are just really red.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    What are you wedding colors?  Will the red really clash?  Those chairs are not bad per se, but they are just really red.
    @JCbride2015 My colors are chocolate brown, mint/sage green, and tulip yellow. I feel like they would clash with the red chairs, but I don't know.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hmm. I would normally say you won't notice the chairs once the room is decorated and people are in it, but that red will definitely clash with pale green and yellow.

What kind of covers are they? I hate the floppy, sloppy, draped ones with a passion, but the spandex chair condoms aren't quite as awful IMHO.

Best solution would be if they allow you to bring in rental chairs from elsewhere.

• Options
    Hmm. I would normally say you won't notice the chairs once the room is decorated and people are in it, but that red will definitely clash with pale green and yellow.

What kind of covers are they? I hate the floppy, sloppy, draped ones with a passion, but the spandex chair condoms aren't quite as awful IMHO.

Best solution would be if they allow you to bring in rental chairs from elsewhere.
    I feel the opposite.  Not that I like any chair covers, but I think the draped ones blend better with tablecloths and generally look better.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Go with the chair covers! They are not charging you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I feel the opposite.  Not that I like any chair covers, but I think the draped ones blend better with tablecloths and generally look better.
    I think they look better right up until the first moment anyone touches them, then they're a disheveled mess and a tripping hazard. 

• Options
    I dislike chair covers with a passion, but I would go with them in your situation. I don't think the red will go with your color scheme.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I never thought I'd say this but...... I'd use chair covers. Annnddd I don't feel like myself right now.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Well you may as well change the carpet as well since that will clash with your color scheme too. 

Seriously, they are chairs.  You put your ass in them.  People cover the backs of them with their suit jackets and wraps and hang purses on them.  Chair covers, when even slightly touched will look like crap.  Been to a few weddings with them and they get wrinkled and moved around and I swear the chairs end up looking like small ghosts floating around the room.

• Options
    Well you may as well change the carpet as well since that will clash with your color scheme too. 

Seriously, they are chairs.  You put your ass in them.  People cover the backs of them with their suit jackets and wraps and hang purses on them.  Chair covers, when even slightly touched will look like crap.  Been to a few weddings with them and they get wrinkled and moved around and I swear the chairs end up looking like small ghosts floating around the room.
    @Maggie0829 Yeah, that's a big concern to me too. The room isn't very big and I'm afraid that, with the table cloths and everything, the chair covers will make it look like everything is covered in sheets. The dimmed lights make the carpeting fade away but the chairs still stand out. If we could afford it, my first choice would definitely be to just replace the chairs as I never liked the look of chair covers...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Does the venue have any photos of the room being used for other weddings or events? It may be helpful to see a picture of the room decorated but not chair covers. That way you could decide if they really are awful or if they aren't so bad.

• Options
    Does the venue have any photos of the room being used for other weddings or events? It may be helpful to see a picture of the room decorated but not chair covers. That way you could decide if they really are awful or if they aren't so bad.
    @birdybride2014 I've actually been looking for photos of those but they're really hard to find. It seems that most people who book this venue either cover the chairs or rent other chairs. I found this photo on their site:
    And I, of course found plenty of photos of the chairs covered:

I'm still thinking about it but I think I'll look again and ask them to dim the lights when I go there next (we have a meeting with the coordinator there in a couple weeks) and decide what to do then...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This might be just crazy person talk, but if you don't like chair covers and you don't want to rent new chairs, is it just possible to gain limited retrograde amnesia and pretend they're part of your color scheme? 
  • Options
    rooz103 said:
    This might be just crazy person talk, but if you don't like chair covers and you don't want to rent new chairs, is it just possible to gain limited retrograde amnesia and pretend they're part of your color scheme? 
    @rooz103 I didn't even think of that! That's a good idea! I'll talk to my FI about it and decide on what to do when we see the chairs again :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    vulpiepop said:
    @birdybride2014 I've actually been looking for photos of those but they're really hard to find. It seems that most people who book this venue either cover the chairs or rent other chairs. I found this photo on their site:
    And I, of course found plenty of photos of the chairs covered:

I'm still thinking about it but I think I'll look again and ask them to dim the lights when I go there next (we have a meeting with the coordinator there in a couple weeks) and decide what to do then...

I just noticed that the pictures from the first post and the pictures in this post show two different red chairs.  The chair back has a flat bottom in the op and a round bottom here.  That means they bought very similar chairs twice, I guess. 

The chairs pictured in the first post are the same ones they have in my venue, in dark hunter green.  My colors are peaches and beiges, I'm going to use them without covers.  I don't think it will matter.

You know, before I decided on what colors I wanted in my wedding, I told my fsil to have her daughter pick any color dress for her flower girl dress.  I planned on having a colorful wedding and figured whatever she picked would be fine.  Well she picked the ugliest blue-ish pink color for the dress.  By this point I had changed my mind and wanted a paler color palate of neutral-ish colors, so I just added a TINY bit of hot pink to my décor to make it look like it fit.  Maybe you can add a splash of red somewhere.

• Options
    Oh heck yes I'd be covering those chairs or renting other ones.  But, if your colour scheme went with the red then maybe you could leave the chairs as is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards