DIY Wedding Forum
Options

Backyard Venue

Dear DIY Board,

A close family member just offered her backyard as a wedding venue. She's amazingly kind, and the backyard looks like a better-homes-and-gardens backyard. The house sits on 1/2 acre, and the house is not huge. As such, it's a pretty sizable backyard. Does anyone have a guestimate as to how many people could comfortably fit in a backyard of that size (or similar size) for a wedding and reception?

Thanks!

Re: Backyard Venue

• Options
    Well I think there is a bit more to consider than just yard size.  What is your rain plan?  A tent is fine for a little rain, but won't help if there is thunder/lightning/wind.  Also, what is the bathroom situation?  How many are there?  Would you need to rent bathrooms?  Where can the caterer set up?  Is there any power run to the backyard?  Where will the DJ/band set up?  Is there ample parking?

I realize that I threw a lot of questions at you, but I started planning a backyard wedding, and ran into all of these questions.  (I ended up changing my venue, but not because these problems couldn't be solved--we had planned 150 for the backyard, and wanted to go up to 180, which was just too much for the house.)

• Options
    ditto lurker.   It's more about logistics.   How many bathrooms?  Parking?   What size tent will fit back there?  do you need a dance floor (dance floors take up space)?    What is the landscaping like (i.e. is there a big open spot, or maybe flower beds cutting up the space?

All that kind of stuff will also affect how many people you should invite also.

We just threw a party for my dad.  They have about 1/2 acre, with a pool and a good size house (lots of bathrooms).  We had 75 people.  We could have easily more than doubled the amount of people.  But with the pool being in the middle of the backyard, people would have be split on either side of the pool.   Not horrible, but it would have been a little interesting figuring out where to put the ceremony.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I think it's more realistic to think about how many bathrooms they have and what you're going to do if it rains. So in other words, if it rains how many people can fit into their house? Sometimes backyard receptions are more expensive because everything is a la carte.

If I were you I'd consider doing the ceremony at their house and the reception elsewhere.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'f you're planning on a tent, I was told to plan on 100sq ft/person for the tables and chairs. That doesn't include dance floor or buffet table space.
  • Options
    Who is going to do the food? Self catering is very tricky and can be just as expensive and stressful. Plus tents and chairs can cost was more than venues. 

I vote for ceremony at her house and reception at a hall. 
  • Options
    Like previous posters awnsered: How much do you want to do?  After figuring out that, go googling and find references for how to estimate space for a what you want. ballroom, and/or a seated ceremony.  A variety of event websites have planning tools available you can pop in guest count and style of seating and it'll output your space needs.

I draft drawings, and got picky on layout, so I crazily drew a quick model of the reception space.  I made a block (custom image, I can copy) for a variety of table setups, then placed coppies of the block over a drawing of the entire space, then counted to see what fit. I used +4' to 5' additional space around reception tables to estimate space for chairs plus walking around. The ceremony need is a little easier to figure (everyone sits in a line) but, I was using a church, so I never went that far. I'd assume each person takes up a chair's space (width of chair +2x depth, conservative est. per person) just remember to add in aisles too. 

If the Logistics of a wedding seem a bit too much. Ask to use the yard for the rehersal dinner, or for another wedding related party, perhaps engagement pictures if the yard is really beautiful at another time of the year. That way your family still gets to share their space, to celebrate. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards