Snarky Brides
Options

RANT: FMIL is Obsessed w/ Flower Girl Attire

My FI and I are having three flower girls who are all 5 years old (one niece on my side, two on his). We've been very casual about it and we're just going to see on the day of the wedding who wants to walk down the aisle and if one of them doesn't, no sweat, just go sit with Mom and Dad.

We found a $16 dress from H&M online that the parents were all good with purchasing and we told the moms that we'd give each girl a matching headband (along with their adorable jewelry box gifts). Then they could wear whatever shoes they want and if they want tights because it's cold, cool, whatever you want.

Meanwhile FMIL is freaking out about them needing sweaters because it might be cold (indoor wedding and we're not making the flower girls come with us for outdoor pictures). Okay, fine, if they're cold, I think their parents can handle bringing a sweater or jacket. But no, FMIL took it upon herself to go and purchase matching sweaters for all the girls. Alright, fine, that's okay, we don't care. 

But THEN, she emailed my SIL (bro's wife) about the sweater and I don't know how she worded it, but my SIL was worried she was going to have to pay FMIL back and they are really tight on money this month. I don't think that was FMIL's intention, but her fretting is not helpful. And now she's been telling FI on the phone that she's worried about the flower girl's shoes not matching. I'm pretty sure my niece will be wearing the red sparkly boots she's currently obsessed with, and FI and I are totally fine with that! 

It's a good thing we live 4+ hours away.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: RANT: FMIL is Obsessed w/ Flower Girl Attire

• Options
    It makes me crazy when people who don't need to be involved butt in. So sorry you're dealing with the cray.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    But I mean are you really married if the flower girls didn't all have matching shoes?!?!?

It's interesting to see what people obsess about. FMIL had the great nail polish meltdown last week.... So glad this will all be over soon
  • Options
    Dude, I know your feels.
    My mother and grandmother are obsessed with details I could not care less about.

The other day I was ranted at because I put names on some invitations they would need to address- and now the handwriting wouldn't match! (as they hadn't gotten those addresses of the guest they demanded I invite, who I don't know, and never, after three months, got around to giving me the addresses of, even after I'd sent the invitations out.) 

Augh. 

My FMIL is more the fretful 'what do YOU want?' about things like the rehearsal dinner. We don't care at all as long as it isn't expensive and is easy on her. It's not easy to deal with her constant questions- but it's better than the demanding type.
  • Options
    Hmmm I can see how this could be annoying but so what if she wants to make the flower girls her little pet project. I would let her keep herself busy over the flower girls rather than have her try to take over more important parts of the wedding.
  • Options
    My FI and I are having three flower girls who are all 5 years old (one niece on my side, two on his). We've been very casual about it and we're just going to see on the day of the wedding who wants to walk down the aisle and if one of them doesn't, no sweat, just go sit with Mom and Dad.

We found a $16 dress from H&M online that the parents were all good with purchasing and we told the moms that we'd give each girl a matching headband (along with their adorable jewelry box gifts). Then they could wear whatever shoes they want and if they want tights because it's cold, cool, whatever you want.

Meanwhile FMIL is freaking out about them needing sweaters because it might be cold (indoor wedding and we're not making the flower girls come with us for outdoor pictures). Okay, fine, if they're cold, I think their parents can handle bringing a sweater or jacket. But no, FMIL took it upon herself to go and purchase matching sweaters for all the girls. Alright, fine, that's okay, we don't care. 

But THEN, she emailed my SIL (bro's wife) about the sweater and I don't know how she worded it, but my SIL was worried she was going to have to pay FMIL back and they are really tight on money this month. I don't think that was FMIL's intention, but her fretting is not helpful. And now she's been telling FI on the phone that she's worried about the flower girl's shoes not matching. I'm pretty sure my niece will be wearing the red sparkly boots she's currently obsessed with, and FI and I are totally fine with that! 

It's a good thing we live 4+ hours away.
    You made it clear that it was taken care of, due to FMIL, right?
  • Options
    Yeah, the SIL has been informed that she is in no way responsible for paying for a sweater none of us have even seen. If it were just FMIL's own daughter and DIL (who's been in the family over 10 years) I wouldn't even waste a second thinking about it. But my SIL is a fretter and it's hard to convince her that FI and I are perfectly good with our niece wearing her red sparkly boots. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards