Florida-North Florida

Bad Experience with Destin Bay House

Congratulations fellow brides! I wanted to share my negative experience about inquiring into the Destin Bay House with my fellow brides because I do not want anyone to go through the same unfortunate experience I did. With this being our one and only chance to have a positive experience planning our special day, I feel it’s important that the venues we are reaching out to reciprocate the same enthusiasm we are putting out. I flew over 500 miles and my Matron of Honor and my Aunt flew 800 miles to see the Destin Bay House as one of our top choices for my wedding. We spent over an hour viewing the venue taking 60 plus pictures of the site and discussed my special day in detail with the wedding coordinator, Erin. During our tour, I was met with opposition to my questions about what the $4500 site fee included; which at the time I didn’t recognize the red flags but later came to realize this is representative of how Destin Bay House treats their interested brides. After leaving the Destin Bay House, I visited several other venues but I already knew the Bay House was the place for me. I whole heartedly envisioned my wedding day happening there. When I flew back home, I reached out to the Bay House the day I landed to express my continued interest. Erin forwarded me the contract to the Destin Bay House; which upon our reading (myself and groom, wedding planner/matron of honor, mother & father of bride) we drafted an addendum to the contract and questions to start a dialogue about what appeared to be a self serving contract for the Bay House. This contract in no way protected our interests in the venue; in which my father would be spending 27 years worth of savings he had complied for the day his only daughter would be married. Our questions about this contract were met with complete dismissal. Erin’s initial email response was very short, as opposed to addressing any of my questions or concerns. She insulted my interest in the venue and immediately told me they would no longer hold my wedding date. My Matron of Honor and I reached out to let her know the questions we had regarding the contract were not deal breakers or even necessary changes but instead we just wanted clarification. My experience with Erin, reminds me of the scene with Vivian Ward played by Julia Roberts in a movie we all love Pretty Woman. In the scene, Vivian is simply trying to shop for her dream dress for a “special” occasion and she is met with opposition and disregard instead of compassion. Unfortunately just like Vivian, I was given the cold shoulder by Erin and told they wouldn’t be offended if I choose another venue. My fiancé believes after seeing how I was treated, this is “A blessing in disguise.” I agree… I hope that no one has to experience a wedding planning disaster like this because it is extremely hurtful during what I envisioned being such a happy experience.

Re: Bad Experience with Destin Bay House

• If you are going to get married in that part of Florida, you'd better get used to that type of contract.

Most of the vendors I've dealt with have really awful, anti-consumer contracts. I tried to amend a few of them, and was told  there were plenty of other customers for my date and that they would refuse my business.

I understand up to a point the need to protect from liability and deadbeat customers. But ... geez. ??

There are very, very few *good* vendors in that part of the world. The best ones are pretty rigid about it. So I caved and signed. A leap of faith, for sure.

To be fair, once you sign and pay a deposit (which signals that you are a serious customer instead of a "shopper"), they will bend over backwards to give you what you need.

Just some food for thought.

FYI -- I am pretty sure the owner of DBH is a lawyer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards