Wedding Party

Bridal Party Help!

My fiance and I don't have many close friends that we would really want standing next to us during our wedding. I have two brothers and he has a brother, sister and sister-in-law. Is there any etiquette or" rules" saying we can't just have them standing with us? Or pick our two closes friends and only have a best man and Maid of Honor?

Re: Bridal Party Help!

• slouner said:
    My fiance and I don't have many close friends that we would really want standing next to us during our wedding. I have two brothers and he has a brother, sister and sister-in-law. Is there any etiquette or" rules" saying we can't just have them standing with us? Or pick our two closes friends and only have a best man and Maid of Honor?
    There are no rules whatsoever regarding whom you can or cannot have in your wedding party. You can ask your brothers and he can ask his siblings if that's what you want to do. The only 'rules' are that 1-you should wait to ask anyone if there's more than a year until your wedding 2-you must invite any significant others and allow them to sit with your wedding party and 3-you should ask each person individually their maximum budget for attire and choose the clothing to fit the smallest budget or else just tell them what color to wear and let them choose where to get it.
  • One more "rule" - sides don't have to be even.  So, don't find some random friend just to have 3 on your side to match his 3.
  • There are no rules. You can have zero attendants or 20. You don't have to ask siblings to be in the WP, you don't need even sides, you don't need men to stand on one side and women on the other.....

It sounds to me like the best fit for you is to have no WP at all. 
    *********************************************************************************

• If you're close to your brothers and want them standing next to you, ask them.  Or if you have a close friend, or niece, or cousin, or nobody at all.  I'm wavering between zero, one, and three, and it's way too far out to decide yet, so I haven't.
  • no rules at all. do what feel right.

Anniversary
  • People who are stuck in a "traditional" mindset will probably tell you that there are rules, and get an odd look on their face if you mention anything other than even sides and family involved. Be prepared for that. I am getting a LOT of that, and it sucks. But I look at is a opening their eyes to a much better place haha
  • Remember that movie "Man of Honor"?! Why not?!
    My fiance and I don't have many close friends either. His BM is his brother. If you're close to his sister, maybe not in law, then you can ask her so you have a female opinion on bridal shower, bacchelorette party, etc. But otherwise, do what you want! No one says you HAVE to have 3 people in the wedding anyway!
    We're having our wedding away, kind of destination, kind of not. Same state but about a 2 hour drive. That way all the acquaintances we have don't get offended for not getting an invite ;)

There are only so few close people!
  • SachaBeeSachaBee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I got this adorable book called Dont's For Weddings from 1904 a while back. The 'rule' then was apparently that your side should consist of first your sisters, then the groom's sisters, then your closest friend. 
    But I think 110 years later, we basically have zero rules. 
    What I would say, personally, is that if you are having a large bridal party (which does not sound like the case) I would include all the siblings to be classy. If you are having just one or two attendants each, then you should pick whomever you are closest to.
  • Do whatever you feel is right. My friend is getting married in a few weeks. No didn't even have a bridal party she said the wedding is all about them and didnt want the extras... She just having her BFF stand up for her kind of like her moh
  • You can each truly pick whomever you all would like standing with you, regardless of gender, family status or "even sides".

My only sister had one attendant..and it wasn't me, it was her BFF.  Totally fine.  And the same sister was my only attendant for my wedding.  I can't remember how many attendants her DH had...goes to show you why even sides don't matter, lol.  Though my DH only had one attendant also.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards