Outdoor Weddings

June Wedding in Texas?

Are we crazy for this? We have wanted a June wedding, and had been worried forever that we would not be able to find anything that had an opening. Until we stumbled upon the most amazing venue ever. The only problem...it's outdoors. So the ceremony and reception would be outdoors, but under the shade of old oak trees. We're looking at having our programs printed on fans, and will have plenty of ice water available. We're also going to include on our wedding website information about the weather and how to dress to beat the heat (it helps that we're very casual!). We're also in talks with a tent company in case of rain. We do have a plus, though. The wedding will be at a historic home, of which we'd have access to the entire bottom floor. The guests are welcome to go inside during any downtime (before the ceremony, between ceremony and reception, really any time we are not getting married or eating, etc) to cool off. That's where we are also planning on having a little dessert bar and our cakes. So, are we completely crazy? We haven't actually booked the place yet, but I think we're ready to soon!

Re: June Wedding in Texas?

• edited September 2014
    Are we crazy for this? We have wanted a June wedding, and had been worried forever that we would not be able to find anything that had an opening. Until we stumbled upon the most amazing venue ever. The only problem...it's outdoors. So the ceremony and reception would be outdoors, but under the shade of old oak trees. We're looking at having our programs printed on fans, and will have plenty of ice water available. We're also going to include on our wedding website information about the weather and how to dress to beat the heat (it helps that we're very casual!). We're also in talks with a tent company in case of rain. We do have a plus, though. The wedding will be at a historic home, of which we'd have access to the entire bottom floor. The guests are welcome to go inside during any downtime (before the ceremony, between ceremony and reception, really any time we are not getting married or eating, etc) to cool off. That's where we are also planning on having a little dessert bar and our cakes. So, are we completely crazy? We haven't actually booked the place yet, but I think we're ready to soon!
    DH and I attended an outdoor wedding in June in Texas. They also had cute fans as programs. They also had plenty of ice water available. They had the reception under a tent. They also had the bottom floor of the building available to people during the times you mentioned. Their wedding was also casual. 

We were absolutely MISERABLE. It was hot as hell and we were all sweating profusely. Please, I beg you. Don't do this. 

ETA: DH just reminded me of how one of the groomsmen got heat exhaustion at this wedding and spent most of the reception indoors cooling off. And they were in dress slacks, dress shirt, and vest. No jackets, and the dude still almost fainted.
  • Most amazing venue ever is not as amazing when filled with hot, sweaty people who don't dance and leave early because its too hot.

I went to an August wedding in TX where the ceremony was outside and the reception was in an air conditioned tent. The tent was fine but the ceremony was miserable.

I got for either keeping the venue and picking a date with more mild weather. Or ditching the venue all together. I think it just depends how patient you are to get married.
    *********************************************************************************

• It's way too hot in June for an outdoor wedding. No amount of fanning or water will help. There won't be much dancing also due to the heat. Find an indoor venue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love outdoor weddings.  I think this is a know your crowd question.  I lived in the south until last year, so I knew there would be summer weddings outside.  I had a May wedding outdoors (it was warm, but not miserable yet).  People who live in the south will expect the heat more, and be more prepared/used to it.  

Is your crowd a bunch of Texans who are used to this?  Or are you inviting a bunch of elderly family members from up east who won't be able to handle the heat?  Do your friends enjoy outdoor events a lot?  I'm used to summer being hot, and dealing with it.  It doesn't sound bad to me, especially if the venue rocks, since there's shade.

And if you do this, make sure your hair can handle the heat.  Either good product to keep it straight, and a professional on site with a flat iron to touch it up, or a well executed updo.  I had a hair and make up person touch me up between the ceremony and the reception to make sure I wouldn't be shiny faced or frizzy.  The hair that was touching my neck and shoulders did start to fall a bit, so she re-curled it.
  • Is your crowd a bunch of Texans who are used to this?  Or are you inviting a bunch of elderly family members from up east who won't be able to handle the heat?  Do your friends enjoy outdoor events a lot?  I'm used to summer being hot, and dealing with it.  It doesn't sound bad to me, especially if the venue rocks, since there's shade.

I'm 35.  I've lived in Texas my whole life.  It's still hotter than hell, even when there's shade.  Read my post above - we were absolutely miserable at an outdoor June Texas wedding. 
  • Is your crowd a bunch of Texans who are used to this?  Or are you inviting a bunch of elderly family members from up east who won't be able to handle the heat?  Do your friends enjoy outdoor events a lot?  I'm used to summer being hot, and dealing with it.  It doesn't sound bad to me, especially if the venue rocks, since there's shade.

I'm 35.  I've lived in Texas my whole life.  It's still hotter than hell, even when there's shade.  Read my post above - we were absolutely miserable at an outdoor June Texas wedding. 

To the OP--that's why I say "know your crowd."  I don't find the heat that miserable if I'm not getting sunburned in direct sunlight.
  • I live in MD and as much as an outdoor wedding sounded beautiful and lovely there was no way in hell I would have planned one for the summer.  I know MD does not get anywhere near as hot as TX but it still gets hot and humid as hell.  The last thing I would have wanted to do was plan something where there was a possibility of our guests being down right miserable the entire time.

I went to a wedding last year in July in MD.  It was outside.  It was one of the hottest weeks in the summer.  I think the day of the wedding it was 97 degrees with a pretty high humidity factor since they were calling for thunderstorms.  It was miserable.  I had sweat dripping down my back as I sat waiting for the ceremony to start.  The open tent wasn't much better.  My friend and I kept going to the portable restrooms to cool off since that was the only place with air conditioning.  The groom and his guys were in tan tuxes.  They were sweating so bad it was soaking through their pants and jackets.  Do you really want all your wedding pictures be of your wedding party with sweat soaked attire and your guests looking like they are melting?

No venue, no matter how gorgeous is worth it.  

• Most of our family is from the deep south, so they're all pretty used to the heat.  When they hear it's outdoors, they'll know how to dress.

We looked up the venue, and they actually have a date available in mid-May.  Still not the coolest month, but it is about 5-6 degrees cooler on average.  We're planning on a late ceremony, around 6pm, so it won't be during the blazing hot hours.  We'll still take all the same heat precautions as well.

I think it helps too that we're a laid back, not fancy, not big on dancing type people.  That really describes both of our families and most of our friends.  We're planning a night of lawn games, beer, and barbecue.
  • Most of our family is from the deep south, so they're all pretty used to the heat.  When they hear it's outdoors, they'll know how to dress.

We looked up the venue, and they actually have a date available in mid-May.  Still not the coolest month, but it is about 5-6 degrees cooler on average.  We're planning on a late ceremony, around 6pm, so it won't be during the blazing hot hours.  We'll still take all the same heat precautions as well.

I think it helps too that we're a laid back, not fancy, not big on dancing type people.  That really describes both of our families and most of our friends.  We're planning a night of lawn games, beer, and barbecue.
    I don't think you should do it. May would be better but still very hot. I would rent an air conditioned tent for your plan B. You need a plan B for rrain anyway
    *********************************************************************************

I am a native Houstonian. I'm used to the heat. It is still hot at 6 pm, and the mosquitoes are miserable.

If I were invited to another Texas summer wedding in the outdoors, I would decline.  
  • I wouldn't do it if you can avoid it. We chose March for our outdoor TX wedding.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It's still in the 90's in September in Houston. It's hot and humid. Our wedding will be outdoors for the ceremony but will be the end of October.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We went to a wedding in San Antonio last summer. It was outside for the most part. They had a morning wedding with brunch/lunch type items for the reception. You did not say the ime of day (or i did not see it) but recommend an ceremony and reception in the early part of the day when it is cooler and fewer mosquitos are out.

I also strongly encourage you not to do this outside, but if you do, what is your backup plan in case of rain?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards