Honeymoon Discussions

Any Honeymoon Cruisers?

We're doing a 14 day Alaska sailing for our honeymoon and I just wondered who else is doing a cruise? It was the most cost efficient idea for us and just made sense.
C&C

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Any Honeymoon Cruisers?

• We have an Alaska cruise booked for May of next year! For our honeymoon we did the Southern Caribbean. The cruise bug bit us and we have another scheduled in November and one in December too!
  • My daughter went on a Princess cruise to Alaska for her honeymoon.  They loved it!  Be sure and go whale watching!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • we'll be taking a Princess cruise around Japan! super excited since i haven't been on a cruise since i was a kid..... also i've heard from some other cruisers that it's a good idea to stay a few days either before you leave on the cruise or after you're done, which is what we'll be doing.
  • leideigh said:
    we'll be taking a Princess cruise around Japan! super excited since i haven't been on a cruise since i was a kid..... also i've heard from some other cruisers that it's a good idea to stay a few days either before you leave on the cruise or after you're done, which is what we'll be doing.
    Definitely go early so you're certain you don't miss the ship!  That sounds amazing!
  • We are going on a 12 night cruise to the Caribbean....it leaves right from our hometown, so very convenient!  I'm very excited to be going someplace warm in the middle of winter :)
  • I'm with you on going a few days early, especially in another country since your starting and ending ports tend to be just that unless the ship overnights, you won't get to see much of it, so I always suggest a few days to sightsee.
    C&C

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did a 12 day cruise for our HM.  We started in Italy, did Croatia, Greece, 2 days in Israel, 2 in Egypt, Turkey and ended in Athens.  We also added Istanbul to the end, since we thought the cruise should have gone there too.  We liked being able to jump in and out of a couple of the countries that we weren't comfortable backpacking in.  We really enjoyed it, but I don't think we'd do a cruise just to cruise.  We'd do it to specific destinations (Panama Canal, around the Cape, etc.).  But Alaska is definitely on our list.  Let us know how it is

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    I have done three Alaska cruises with Princess, and three land tours - Kenai, Denali, and a road trip up the haul road to Prudoe Bay.  Anybody who has any questions, feel free to PM me.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• CMGragain said:
    I have done three Alaska cruises with Princess, and three land tours - Kenai, Denali, and a road trip up the haul road to Prudoe Bay.  Anybody who has any questions, feel free to PM me.
    What would you recommend doing in Skagway, Juneau and Victoria, BC?
  • We are also doing a HM cruise, next Sept. We are doing RCCL to Caribbean! It will be my 3rd cruise. other 2 were to Mexico. I had such a blast on them!!

• We are also doing a HM cruise, next Sept. We are doing RCCL to Caribbean! It will be my 3rd cruise. other 2 were to Mexico. I had such a blast on them!!

Which ship?  What are your ports?
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    mlg78 said:

CMGragain said:
    What would you recommend doing in Skagway, Juneau and Victoria, BC?
    Skagway - this is the most fun town.  It is a combination artist colony and historic walking tour, along with all the usual tourist trap jewelry stores.  Great quilt shop for those that are addicted!  The most popular tour is to take the historic railroad train trip into the Yukon.  This is great as long as the weather is clear.  If you have rainy day (not uncommon) , cancel the train trip and walk around town.  There is a local history museum that is on the far end of town.  (Hint for shopping:  Buy inexpensive artist's greeting cards and frame them at home at Hobby Lobby.  They look amazing!)

Juneau - The Mendenhall Glacier is on the far sided of town.  It has receded so much, you can't touch it or walk on it, but it is great for photos.  There is a beautiful, modern visitors center nearby.
    In the summer months, the town is over-run with tourist trap shops, and is has no charm.  Skip the shops unless you want to buy sweatshirts and moose poop earrings.  (No, I'm not kidding!)  There is a nice Native American history museum, but it isn't walking distance.  Near the ship you will see an tram lift ride up to the top of the ridge.  There is a nice visitor's center up there with explanations of the natural environment zones and a great view of the harbor!  My personal choice would be to take a whale watching trip.  Bring soda crackers, as the boat will rock when you stop to see the whales.  If you are prone to sea sickness, do something else.  This is the one excursion you will be talking about for years!

Victoria, BC is a charming town just to walk around. You are really going there because it is required that the ship stops in a foreign port before returning to the USA.   DH went directly to Butchart Gardens, and spent his whole time there.  DH is a garden lover.  He said it was amazing, and he would go back if he had the chance.

Don't buy expensive jewelry in Alaska.  The stores are not locally owned, and they are overpriced.  The jewelry is made in China.  The only exception might be a sterling silver pair of whale tail earrings or pendant.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We are also going on an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon in July! We are very excited and have started looking at excursions and booking early. We are going on a southbound cruise from Seward with stops in Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier and Sawyer Glacier. We disembark in Vancouver. We are going to spend a couple days in Anchorage and Vancouver too. I'm really looking forward to the train ride from Anchorage to Seward- I've heard it's amazing.

As far as excursions, we're looking at ziprider/atv riding in Icy Strait, Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, Floatplane tour of Misty Fjords in Ketchikan and Tour of the Yukon in Skagway. 

I'm getting excited- only 280 days to go!
  • We did a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise with RCCL on Freedom of the Seas for our honeymoon the first week of September this year.  We stopped in RC's private port of Labadee in Haiti, then Falmouth, Jamaica, followed by Georgetown, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico.  There were also 2 sea days.  I had cruised several times before, both on RCCL and Carnival, and DH had never cruised before.

We just relaxed on the beach and swam in the ocean in Labadee, which was wonderful.  We got a bit sunburned that day, so we just explored the port area in Jamaica the following day.  Since we docked in Falmouth instead of Ocho Rios, all the excursions to the things we would have done were extremely long due to having to drive quite a ways to get there.  We spent that day mostly relaxing on the ship without the crowds and it was wonderful.

Our favorite excursions were at Grand Cayman and Cozumel.  We did Sting Ray City, snorkeling on the barrier reef, and had some time on 7 Mile Beach on Grand Cayman.  Sting Ray City was one of the most amazing things I have ever done.  We both loved it and will never forget it.  We did a Deep Sea Helmet Trek in Cozumel, which we both thought was incredible.  We had so much fun and it was totally worth the terrifying consent form (there are a lot of inherent dangers with compressed air that were a surprise)

We had an absolutely amazing time.  The food was delicious and the shows were great (including an awesome magic show).  The service was fabulous. DH loved it so much we have already booked another 7 day cruise with RCCL for next September going to Roatan, Honduras, Belize City, Belize and back to Cozumel, and his parents and sister are coming this time.  We also have plans to do another cruise within a few years to go to the Eastern Caribbean (St Maarten, St Thomas, Coco Cay, etc).
  • We did a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise with RCCL on Freedom of the Seas for our honeymoon the first week of September this year.  We stopped in RC's private port of Labadee in Haiti, then Falmouth, Jamaica, followed by Georgetown, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico.  There were also 2 sea days.  I had cruised several times before, both on RCCL and Carnival, and DH had never cruised before.

We just relaxed on the beach and swam in the ocean in Labadee, which was wonderful.  We got a bit sunburned that day, so we just explored the port area in Jamaica the following day.  Since we docked in Falmouth instead of Ocho Rios, all the excursions to the things we would have done were extremely long due to having to drive quite a ways to get there.  We spent that day mostly relaxing on the ship without the crowds and it was wonderful.

Our favorite excursions were at Grand Cayman and Cozumel.  We did Sting Ray City, snorkeling on the barrier reef, and had some time on 7 Mile Beach on Grand Cayman.  Sting Ray City was one of the most amazing things I have ever done.  We both loved it and will never forget it.  We did a Deep Sea Helmet Trek in Cozumel, which we both thought was incredible.  We had so much fun and it was totally worth the terrifying consent form (there are a lot of inherent dangers with compressed air that were a surprise)

We had an absolutely amazing time.  The food was delicious and the shows were great (including an awesome magic show).  The service was fabulous. DH loved it so much we have already booked another 7 day cruise with RCCL for next September going to Roatan, Honduras, Belize City, Belize and back to Cozumel, and his parents and sister are coming this time.  We also have plans to do another cruise within a few years to go to the Eastern Caribbean (St Maarten, St Thomas, Coco Cay, etc).
    Yay! I'm booked for the Roatan, Cozumel, Belize cruise on November 2nd this year!  I'm so excited!
  • mlg78 said:
    We did a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise with RCCL on Freedom of the Seas for our honeymoon the first week of September this year.  We stopped in RC's private port of Labadee in Haiti, then Falmouth, Jamaica, followed by Georgetown, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico.  There were also 2 sea days.  I had cruised several times before, both on RCCL and Carnival, and DH had never cruised before.

Yay! I'm booked for the Roatan, Cozumel, Belize cruise on November 2nd this year!  I'm so excited!
    We are doing to the same ports on RCCL, but not until Sep 2015...can't wait!

• mlg78 said:
    We are also doing a HM cruise, next Sept. We are doing RCCL to Caribbean! It will be my 3rd cruise. other 2 were to Mexico. I had such a blast on them!!

Which ship?  What are your ports?
    Navigator of the Seas: Belize, Cozumel and Roatan
  • @soontobemrshamilton‌ We might be on the same cruise next September!
  • @soontobemrshamilton‌ We might be on the same cruise next September!
    how funny!! Is it your honeymoon? Either way, we should say hi on the boat :)
  • @littlemushroom: we leave on 9/13/15, I believe
  • @soontobemrshamilton  We are going to be on the same cruise!  What a small world.  We should definitely say hi on the boat. :)

It is not our honeymoon, but it is right after our 1 year anniversary.  We did a western caribbean cruise this year for our honeymoon the first week of September.  It was DH's first cruise and now he is hooked!  His parents and sister are coming with us next year.

@mlg78:  Let us know how Roatan and Belize are.  I have never been to those ports before.
  • We are cruising on the Disney Fantasy and I can't wait. We sail November 15th, Eastern Caribbean cruise. Ports are San Juan, St. Thomas, and Castaway Cay. So excited!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Emilio829Emilio829 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014

We're doing a 7 day Mexican Riviera on Princess for our Honeymoon, we leave 11/29! So excited. This will be my 6th cruise and my fiance's 2nd. I love cruising!

Edit: Spelling is hard. ;)

• @soontobemrshamilton  We are going to be on the same cruise!  What a small world.  We should definitely say hi on the boat. :)

It is not our honeymoon, but it is right after our 1 year anniversary.  We did a western caribbean cruise this year for our honeymoon the first week of September.  It was DH's first cruise and now he is hooked!  His parents and sister are coming with us next year.

@mlg78:  Let us know how Roatan and Belize are.  I have never been to those ports before.
    It is a small world, how funny! It's my 3rd cruise and FI's 1st...so I'm crossing my finger's that he'll love it too and want to go back!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards