Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

How long for photos?

So just trying to maximize the useful time that we have with our photographer as our package only includes 4 hours of shooting time. I was thinking of telling her I would like her from 3-7pm

Here is the timeline that I have in my head so far but feel free to let me know if you think it needs tweaks.  

12:00-2:00pm Hair Appointments
3:00pm - Photographer arrives at ceremony/getting ready/reception site
3:00-3:30 "Getting Ready" shots
4:00 "First Look"
4:15-5:15 Family and Bridal party pictures (on site and a site less than 5 mins away)
5:30 Ceremony 

I have 2 bridesmaids and FI has 7 groomsmen.  Add in parents and FI's grandparents and you have quite the group.  I really want the photographer to at least be able to capture some of the reception but do you think the before stuff is going to be too tight for time? Ultimately I could add an extra hour to the package if I have to but it is quite expensive so I'm hoping to avoid it.

Thanks for your help! 

Re: How long for photos?

• Options
    How long is the ceremony? Is the reception on site? If not how far is the drive?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Ceremony and reception in the same place.  Ceremony is going to be 15mins
  • Options
    Then I would do the spotlight dances right away, maybe only dance for 90 sec or 2 min for father/daughter and mother/son, if you do them. Cut the cake and do the toasts before you eat. That way you get the important photos done before dinner in case anything starts to run late.

Can you addd on the night of for the same fee if you need to?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I will ask our photographer! I'm sure she will want some idea of when she will be finishing but maybe an hour difference wouldn't be a big deal.
  • Options
    What does your "getting ready" shots entail?  Presumably your hair and makeup will be done by 3pm if your first look is at 4pm.  Is it just putting on the dress and the final touches?  If so, can you do that between 3:30 and 4pm?  (assuming your first look is at the same location....not sure what that the gap you have during that time is currently for)

Make sure you have everything out and ready that you want photographed for when the photographer gets there.  Bouquets, dress, shoes, invitation, jewelry, etc.

I was going to suggest taking 15 min from the family/bridal party photos since they seem to go pretty fast when everyone is there, but you and your FI may want to take additional photos apart from the first look, so I think it's good to keep that time.

Otherwise, I agree with photokitty, do the dances and any toasts right away.  You can also cut the cake.  You probably won't get any general reception/dance floor photos, but I don't think that's a big deal.  We didn't include any of those pictures in our final album anyway!

• Options
    I think it will be tight, but as long as everyone is there and willing to play along for group photos (not late, already drinking heavily, etc.) it'll work. Like someone said above, there's a half hour gap at 3:30 which can give some more room overall.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I will ask the photographer for her advice as well.  I don't want tons of posed photos so hoping that will be sufficient.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards