Chit Chat

What Do You Guys Do to Get Out of A Rut?

Is there something specific you guys do to get out of a mental/emotional/physical rut? For me, it's usually forcing myself to get back into exercise. I usually don't want to do it because PITY PARTY! but after I start, I gain a lot of energy and momentum mentally, emotionally, and physically. 

Re: What Do You Guys Do to Get Out of A Rut?

• I exercise, I make to do lists and conquer them one thing at a time, I read books, I take moments to just sit and appreciate what is around me, I get together with a friend I've been meaning to see, I set goals, I make sure to put effort into rejuvenating my spiritual life, I meditate, and I acknowledge how far I have come.  

• I read, pray, and get DH to cuddle with me and make me giggle.

image   image   image

• levioosa said:
    I exercise, I make to do lists and conquer them one thing at a time, I read books, I take moments to just sit and appreciate what is around me, I get together with a friend I've been meaning to see, I set goals, I make sure to put effort into rejuvenating my spiritual life, I meditate, and I acknowledge how far I have come.  
    Dang Girl. You do all of that while feeling unmotivated? I'm impressed. I know I SHOULD do those things and that they would help but then a mixed drink and TK and a book or my bed calls out to me and I cave. 
  • I read, pray, and get DH to cuddle with me and make me giggle.
    Laughing really is freaking amazing. 
  • lc07 said:

I read, pray, and get DH to cuddle with me and make me giggle.

Laughing really is freaking amazing. 

He really is amazing at making me laugh!

image   image   image

• I get in the car, and drive someplace pretty. A waterfall, a beach, a lake, a river, something like that, a distant state park with a walking trail. For me, it needs to be someplace I haven't been before. That breaks the sense of dull in a rut sameness.
    Then I get a sense of adventure (even if it's a small adventure) and I'm getting exercise but in an interesting way because I have new and lovely things to look at, and it's a reminder that the world is beautiful.

Museums are good for the same reasons- I have interesting and beautiful things to fill my brain with, and always feel better when I go home. 

Last week, I walked around this lake, and the air smelled like maple:

Your post and picture read like a story book to me. I live in a place that many people would consider a paradise so I feel guilty when I don't appreciate it, but I do feel like I need to get out and see a change in scenery. Thank you.
  • lc07 said:
    levioosa said:
    I exercise, I make to do lists and conquer them one thing at a time, I read books, I take moments to just sit and appreciate what is around me, I get together with a friend I've been meaning to see, I set goals, I make sure to put effort into rejuvenating my spiritual life, I meditate, and I acknowledge how far I have come.  
    Dang Girl. You do all of that while feeling unmotivated? I'm impressed. I know I SHOULD do those things and that they would help but then a mixed drink and TK and a book or my bed calls out to me and I cave. 
    I feel like movement is important.  To Do lists make me feel like I have control, then I can move on from there.  No one likes to feel stagnant.  Although of course there have been times when I just sit and pity party for a bit.  =)

• levioosa said:
    lc07 said:
    levioosa said:
    I feel like movement is important.  To Do lists make me feel like I have control, then I can move on from there.  No one likes to feel stagnant.  Although of course there have been times when I just sit and pity party for a bit.  =)
    You're right.
  • I meditate and really say my affirmations.  I also burn this really great japanese incense that is getting very difficult to find.  And take baths - long, hot ones.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • I go for a long walk outside. The exercise plus beautiful scenery really helps to get me feeling better. While I'm walking I try to consciously recite Bible verses or focus on happy thoughts and not let my mind wander onto whatever's been upsetting me. If it's too cold to walk I hang out and read at a coffee shop.

Getting plenty of sleep helps too, but then I have to force myself to not lay in bed all day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Exercise always helps. Sometimes I use one of my treasured personal days to give myself a day to sleep in and have "me" time. 
  • I also find exercise always helps so I always add 15 more sit-ups to my regular reps if I'm not feeling too lazy :p Otherwise baking. Or making something, taking my time in the kitchen. Going out and getting those special ingredients! Watching funny movies or trying a new hair do makes me feel different too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Exercise is awesome. Just getting out of the house and doing something usually helps me. I would also recommend a facial! Yesterday I got one for the first time ever cuz I've been so busy doing wedding stuff and cleaning the house all the time and doing mundane everyday stuff I don't like, and FI got to go to this awesome conference in an awesome city for the week. So I thought "ok, I'm gonna do something that's just for me!" I felt so good afterward. So good! 
  • I like crafts. The feeling of starting a project from nothing and turning it into something is really great. Refinishing a piece of furniture has the added bonus of taking out aggression by sanding the hell out of it. And a lot of repetitive motion if you just need mindless nothingness, or time to think. I like scrapbooking when I need to concentrate on little details rather than whatever I'm feeling bad about.

• I do exactly the same thing @ohannabelle‌ ! Last week I was going to go to a state park, and I ended up Turning right earlier because I saw an interesting sign.... And ended up on the prettiest drive! It was lovely.
  • What I usually do is get a haircut, yoga, read, and go walking/hiking. All these things just make me feel so good. I love yoga, I'm happy that I started to do it. Reading and hiking makes me feel better mentally and getting a haircut always makes me feel pretty. Plus I live in the Blue Ridge and it's so pretty out this time of year.
  • Driving. I love love love going somewhere and just getting "lost" and looking at stuff I've never seen before, or haven't seen in a while. Unfortunately that's a rather expensive habit so I don't get to do it much.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Driving. I love love love going somewhere and just getting "lost" and looking at stuff I've never seen before, or haven't seen in a while. Unfortunately that's a rather expensive habit so I don't get to do it much.
    I used to love driving through the canyon next to my house, and then driving down to the beach.  Now it takes $60 to fill up my tank instead of the $30 it did in highschool/early college so I don't do that anymore.  =(

• I've been in quite the rut lately. Decided I needed a change.  So last weekend, I chopped all my hair off.  I had planned on cutting it after the wedding anyway.  But it was time for a change.  15" to Locks of Love...

• I try new recipes and reorganize/clean things.  I always feel more motivated when I see that I cleaned up what used to look like a frat house.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Enlist a girl friend. Last weekend my friend got a sitter and we went to a sushi place for lunch and we just sat there talking for 4 hours after we were done eating. I left feeling so peaceful. 
    I agree with exercise, it usually makes me feel great but I have just been a lazy POS lately lol. 

• I reach out to friends. A lot of times when I'm in a rut or feeling really down, the only thing that helps is to connect with other people. I tend to kind of ruminate and fixate on whatver is bothering me and it takes someone else to kick me out of the rut. A lot of times I'll drive home to my parents house to be with them and to get space and perspective on whatever is bothering me. Usually a change of scenery and plugging in to my family really helps.
    imageimage">
  • levioosa said:

Driving. I love love love going somewhere and just getting "lost" and looking at stuff I've never seen before, or haven't seen in a while. Unfortunately that's a rather expensive habit so I don't get to do it much.

I used to love driving through the canyon next to my house, and then driving down to the beach.  Now it takes $60 to fill up my tank instead of the $30 it did in highschool/early college so I don't do that anymore.  =(

Yeah, I picked up the driving habit when my little 125cc scooter took a $5 fill up to go two weeks, and then the Honda only took $40. My Buick unfortunately drinks gas like it's water. Can't really do that much anymore, haha.
    Yeah, I picked up the driving habit when my little 125cc scooter took a $5 fill up to go two weeks, and then the Honda only took $40. My Buick unfortunately drinks gas like it's water. Can't really do that much anymore, haha.
    Okay, what the heck is wrong with Buick's?  I borrowed my Grandparent's Buick Regal for three weeks once when my car was in the shop.  Most expensive three weeks of gas of my life.  I work five miles from home.  It seriously would use up almost a quarter tank of gas from my home to work and back.  WTH.  I was so happy when I got my car back.  

What kind of scooter did you have?  

• edited October 2014
    levioosa said:

Driving. I love love love going somewhere and just getting "lost" and looking at stuff I've never seen before, or haven't seen in a while. Unfortunately that's a rather expensive habit so I don't get to do it much.

Okay, what the heck is wrong with Buick's?  I borrowed my Grandparent's Buick Regal for three weeks once when my car was in the shop.  Most expensive three weeks of gas of my life.  I work five miles from home.  It seriously would use up almost a quarter tank of gas from my home to work and back.  WTH.  I was so happy when I got my car back.  

What kind of scooter did you have?  

Bleeping quote boxes.

I have NO idea. I just know this V6 engine drinks a hell of a lot more than my Honda V6 and I drive this one SO much more responsibly. I do not understand. I blame it on the olden days of American muscle.

I have a Yamaha Zuma. LOVED it, but it has a fuel pump issue and also needs a battery. Also I don't think we have a key to it right now so we can't fix either issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards