Catholic Weddings

Inviting Priests/Deacons to the reception question.

We are getting married in my home town in another state. A deacon is marrying us in a liturgy or the word service in that Church, I can't receive the communion host and can only receive the cup when I'm the first person and serving as EMHC due to medical issues so we opted for this with the Deacon and Priest's bleessing. We intend to invite the Deacon and his wife who we know. Our marriage prep is being handled in our home state by a priest at our parish. I know it's unlikely he will come but etiquette-wise do I still send an invite? If so do I extend a plus one since all other unattached adults will be receiving one? The likelihood of him accepting is small but we really like him, however, I feel it would be awkward to give a plus one to him but rude to not to offer it to him. Advice?

Re: Inviting Priests/Deacons to the reception question.

• We are getting married in my home town in another state. A deacon is marrying us in a liturgy or the word service in that Church, I can't receive the communion host and can only receive the cup when I'm the first person and serving as EMHC due to medical issues so we opted for this with the Deacon and Priest's bleessing. We intend to invite the Deacon and his wife who we know. Our marriage prep is being handled in our home state by a priest at our parish. I know it's unlikely he will come but etiquette-wise do I still send an invite? If so do I extend a plus one since all other unattached adults will be receiving one? The likelihood of him accepting is small but we really like him, however, I feel it would be awkward to give a plus one to him but rude to not to offer it to him. Advice?
    I wouldn't extend a plus one to a priest.  FWIW, I invited the priests to our reception (we had 5 priests concelebrating) ... but that's mostly because they are all friends of mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards