DIY Wedding Forum

How to avoid candles from sticking??

I am using glass votive holders with votive candles inside.  Any tips on what I can do before using them to make sure the candles can be easily removed after burning them?  I ask because I want to sell the holders after the wedding.  Thank you!

Re: How to avoid candles from sticking??

• Can you cut wax paper in the shape of the base and put it on the very bottom between the candle and the glass.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I am kind of particular and would probably want to have them cut to the exact shape so they don't show at all, and with 100 candles that would take more time than I am willing to spend at this point.  thank you for the suggestion though!
  • I burn votive candles in glass holders all the time at home... hot water usually pops the wax base right out. No need to do anything ahead of time, just run pure hot water in them after and tada... the wax softens and they pop out.  If there are few bits left, just wash with a sponge or if they are skinny, use a bottle brush with rough sponge on the end (or if if you are really in need of getting it out quick sometime I use a butter knife and a washrag) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Usually a drop or two of water in the bottom of the votive before you place the candle will help.  Also if you put the candles/votives in the freezer after you have used them then that will help them pop out as well.

• A waitress friend of mine swears by the drop or two of water in the bottom of the holder. Be careful not to add too much more water or it can come up over the candle when it gets really low and put it out.
  • Not sure how to make them not stick but when they do, I just put them in the freezer overnight & then they pop out beautifully. Wash & ready to use again, or in your case, ready to sell.

• Put a little water in them before u put the candle
  • My mom makes her own candles and often reuses holders. She said that she's had good luck freezing them. When you're ready to remove the candles, stick them in the freezer for 20-30 minutes (but not too long) and they're easier to pop out. I haven't done this yet, myself (we need to remove our 'tester' candles from our practice centerpiece, but I haven't yet) so you might want to try a trial run if you can. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards