Chit Chat
Options

Ladybugs...

Did anyone else home to a swarm of ladybugs today?  I came home and there is just a cloud of these guys flying all over the place (Seriously in the time it took for me to walk from the car to the door at least 10 landed on me), so of course with that many flying around, a bunch found their way inside.  Like a couple hundred of them at least.  I googled it, apparently it's a common occurrence on warm Autumn days, they're looking for places to hibernate.

Honestly I don't really mind, they're just chilling on the ceiling, and they won't come anywhere near me, even when I stand on the couch and try to pick them up (I personally think ladybugs are really cute and they're one of the only bugs I will touch) I also saw that they don't reproduce around this time of year so I don't have to worry about them laying eggs or any of that crap.

Re: Ladybugs...

• Options
    Where do you live? I've never seen that before!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've never seen that either, but I'm in NYC where we don't get pretty lady bugs much. We get other, big, ugly bugs instead.

I also find them really cute. And they are the only bugs I have touched. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    They aren't really ladybugs. They are asian beetles. 

Some people say you can put Dawn dish soap into a spray bottle and spray the outside of your house to keep them away. Otherwise your local hardware store may have something more chemical-wise to spray. 

Some people say they bite and if you try to pick them up, they excrete this awful smelling stuff on you. 
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We had an infestion when I was a kid and I hate them more than spiders. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @mrsb53 I'm in CT.  Apparently it's an eastern US thing?  My internet is kinda lame right now so I didn't check too many different sources.
  • Options
    I'm in TX and have quite a few.  I wouldn't call it a swarm, but there is a presence.
  • Options
    Maybe it's not the asian beetles. We have them here in the midwest. The asian beetles are more orange than red like ladybugs.
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 99% sure they're ladybugs.  I was playing with the ones outside (Yeah I know, I'm a weirdo) and didn't get bitten or secreted on etc.  
  • Options
    We had the Asian beetle swarms on my college campus. They would COVER the building I worked in. It was disgusting.

• Options
    I don't have a ladybug infestation, but it sounds nice. I like ladybugs.
  • Options

Oh helllllllllll no!

No bugs are welcome in my house!

You are seriously going to let them live on your ceiling???

Apparently lady bugs and stink bugs hibernate in the walls of the house... which is nasty enough to me when I can't see them.

My mom had swarms a couple years ago... I think she read at the time they were attracted to her yellow house.

I haven't seen any lady bugs, but the stink bugs have appeared... hopefully they won't be as bad as last year!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Yeah that happened at my dorm in college in Illinois. It was the orange ones, not the red lady bugs. There were huge white pillars flanking the door to the dorm and there were so many of the bugs you couldn't see any white. I heard they bite, but I never got bitten. They did stink if you squashed them though. So gross!
  • Options
    @alucky23 I guess so, there is literally a cloud of them outside, all down the street.  I've had no windows or doors open, and no food left out to attract them (Actually they don't even seem interested in the kitchen, they're all on one side of the apartment, it's kinda bizarre) so I get the feeling they're just in here because they're swarming outside and finding little openings in the walls/ceilings etc.  I feel like even if I did manage to kill all of them, more would just come in since there are so many around.

I'm kinda hard to bother.  They're not coming anywhere near me and there's no open containers of food for them to get into so I'm ok.  That said, if a single house fly gets in my apartment I am instantly on a murderous rampage.  
  • Options

I suppose they will migrate into your walls eventually...

The recommended way to get rid of them, FYI, is to suck them up with the vacuum cleaner (bag kind obviously) and toss the bag.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Someone in a neighboring town to me (in NJ) posted about a swarm of lady bugs too.  We have nothing.  Thank goodness.

@Maggie0829 - I HATE stink bugs.  I had them in my old place years ago before they became more mainstream.  I'd wake up to those stupid things flying into the wall.  But no infestation.  I pray I never experience that.
  • Options
    We don't really get any at our house but hooooooly shit we'd get THOUSANDS of them at my parents' house. Tall vaulted ceiling. Thouuuuuusands.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I've seen this happen to an old apartment building I lived in, but I'd only see them coming out at the spring. Never saw them go into the building. 

These were the normal lady bugs too, not the creepy orange ones. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh and I am indeed eastern as well, but Ontario Canada.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A swarm sounds scary, even if it's butterflies.

I like lady bugs. I know they secrete a yellow liquid if scared, but I've never heard of them biting. We have a few here in Texas but nothing I'd call a swarm.

image   image   image

• Options
    Eeesh.  Not here, thankfully.  Like Sugar said, swarms are scary, no matter what they are.  (Unless they're sloths.  I could deal with a swarm of sloths.)

Back in DC, we had swarms of cockroaches.  And bedbugs.  And rats.  .....sometimes I wonder why I miss it.
    Anniversary

• Options
    We used to get them all the time in our house. Thousands of them.

Don't vacuum them unless you're prepared with good-smelly stuff. Ugh.

Asian beetles bite the shit out of you. I have a scar.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We had a ladybug infestation in my house when I was a kid. They just chilled in the staircase for months. NBD. Apparently it is good luck.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Aren't ladybugs supposed to be a sign of luck or something? Then again a swarm of them may not be that pleasant to come home too...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's good luck apparently! We get tons in the house every year about October. We haven't gotten any YET so far.

• Options
    I'm in Ontario, Canada, and we had a ton on our house yesterday. My husband sent me a text at work saying ummmm there are hundred of ladybugs out here. From the looks of things on Facebook, it was all over Ontario as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards