Wedding Etiquette Forum

TY notes, kind of NWR

So we recently moved into a new house and a few weeks later threw a party for some family and friends. It wasn't a housewarming party, we just happened to have a new house and the people who sold it to us left us a smoker, so it was a "Come over and have some delicious smoked meats" party. ...and then some people showed up with gifts. I thanked all of them personally at the time but now am wondering if I need to send thank-you notes? I kind of feel like I don't need to because I thanked these people in person, but then I thought about my shower and how I thanked all those people in person as well but still sent notes. So what is the rule? Does every gift require a note? Or only gifts not given in person (and showers are an exception because they are gift-giving parties)?

Re: TY notes, kind of NWR

• I would send a note, never hurts and people will feel appreciated.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Write the note.  I think your friends will be pleasantly surprised.  They're probably not expecting a TY note, so it will be especially appreciated.  I just wrote a note last night for FH's friend who brought us pavers to make a firepit in our backyard.  I think he'll think it's a little weird, but I'm trying to bring TY notes back.
  • There's never an inappropriate time to write thank you notes, especially with gifts. TY notes are always appreciated, especially if people aren't really expecting one. Anytime I get an unexpected TY note (not often, since it's a failing tradition), it' makes me all warm & fuzzy inside.  Look at it this way: Did they do something for you that is appreciated?  If you were in their shoes, would you appreciate receiving a written TY note? If the answer to those is yes, then write the note. Or anytime you are in doubt about whether you should write one, go ahead and write it.  Nobody will ever be upset about getting a written TY note.

• They gave you a gift, you need to send a note. I would say the exception is if they brought a bottle of wine or flowers.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I will write them, you ladies are wise.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards