Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

What's the purpose of bridal portraits?

The photography package my fiance and I purchased comes with a bridal portrait session. I know that it is a session at some point before the wedding for the bride to have photos taken in her wedding dress but other than that I'm not sure how to proceed with them. I see some brides pick themes or settings similar to engagement photo shoots and turn it into a whole production and some don't do them at all. Can y'all explain the purpose of having these portraits done and what the average bride does? Thanks!

Re: What's the purpose of bridal portraits?

• I think bridal portraits are a regional thing...or at least I'm led to believe that bc we don't really do them where I live. I have never even seen a photog in my area advertise for them. 

Personally I don't understand the point of them. I can see why they might have been done 50 years ago, but with technology and the ability to take thousands of images on your wedding day I don't get it. 

I wouldn't want photos of me playing dress up as the images would have no real meaning to me, I'd rather have engagement photos or ask if I could use it for anniversary photos. I don't need a photoshoot of me alone in my dress, but that's just MHO :)

GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• A girlfriend of mine just showed me her bridal portraits yesterday and I asked her the same question. Her response "To appease my parents." I also think it might be regional. I don't know anyone in my area who does them and the few people that I know that have had them done are from the south. 
  • some people do them as bridal/boudioir photos.... a little something sexy for you and your husband after the wedding
  • Bridal portraits (where you get dressed up in your wedding gown) make absolutely zero sense to me. They aren't done in my area. Never heard of anyone having them until I came here. Heck, my alterations weren't finished until a week before the wedding. No way in hell would I put on that dress and risk wrinkles for some photos that weren't even on my wedding day. I had plenty of photos the day of the wedding.
  • caitlinmcacaitlinmca member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    I'm from an area that doesn't do them, however I plan on having them done. My thing is I would rather display my walls with meaningful things rather than artwork from BBB or Kohl's thus my plan is to take photos from FI and I's e-session, bridal session, and then our wedding, and make 1 big photo wall with photos and canvas's.

FI and I are already doing a first look, a first look to my dad, about 2 hrs of photos prior to our ceremony at our venue, then photos after. Call me crazy, but also why spend so much money on a dress when you will only wear it for x amount of hours then sell it or hang it back up in the closet, I'm going to take full advantage of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    I'm from an area that doesn't do them, however I plan on having them done. My thing is I would rather display my walls with meaningful things rather than artwork from BBB or Kohl's thus my plan is to take photos from FI and I's e-session, bridal session, and then our wedding, and make 1 big photo wall with photos and canvas's.

FI and I are already doing a first look, a first look to my dad, about 2 hrs of photos prior to our ceremony at our venue, then photos after. Call me crazy, but also why spend so much money on a dress when you will only wear it for x amount of hours then sell it or hang it back up in the closet, I'm going to take full advantage of it.
    Our walls have lots of meaningful things.  Wall art we picked out together, statement pieces, things we've brought home from vacations, etc.   I could never do a wall of just me and my DH.  To me, that just seems a little AWish and conceited.  We have two photos of just the two of us, and one of those is in the master bedrooms so most guests don't see it. 
  • JoanE2012 said:

Our walls have lots of meaningful things.  Wall art we picked out together, statement pieces, things we've brought home from vacations, etc.   I could never do a wall of just me and my DH.  To me, that just seems a little AWish and conceited.  We have two photos of just the two of us, and one of those is in the master bedrooms so most guests don't see it. 

Well I guess I'm just not one to have random stuff on my walls. FI and I have only gone on 1 over night trip and that was 3 hrs away for 2 nights, nothing overly romantic, and nowhere that we would of bought wall art or trinkets.

Like I said, why spend a thousand or two on a dress to only wear it for 6-7 hrs. I might as well take advantage of the money spent on the dress and alterations. It's not like I'd display the photos on the living room wall, I'd at least save them for a study/sitting room area.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think this is a mostly southern thing. I have one friend who had bridal portraits done, she had them done on the same day as her hair and makeup trial. They're very formal pictures and it is an absolutely stunning shot of her! But I think a similar picture could have been taken on her wedding day and serve the same purpose.
  • I've seen some bridal portraits done-but the couple always got divorced later.
  • gunnydivergunnydiver member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2014
    So, I am from the South, but I just got my bridal pictures back, and am so glad to have them. I have pictures of myself looking the way I will on my wedding day (is excellent way to dry run the look, as well, ladies), but completely relaxed, just enjoying it, not worrying about anything. My wedding will likely fall into what some would call my PPD, but I swear it really isn't.. I am not a princess, at all... but we are doing the formal gala reception. I plan on picking my favorite picture and framing it on the gift or sign in (Ginat Jenga) table, along with our engagement photos. I will also probably put one in my closet later... (sure, maybe its vain, but it is my vanity, and that's why it's in my closet). If you don't see the point, then sure, don't do it... I however am not a great picture taker..look stoned in most-(not!!) so I appreciate having pictures that are pretty and flattering. I think this may be one of those things that if you want it, you know why, and if you don't there really isn't a need to explain, because you don't need them? If that makes sense? 
    Also, mine were taken at the venue, so it is like getting a bunch of extra wedding day pics without the time spent between ceremony and reception. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards