Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress Shopping!

Hi, Knotties!

This coming weekend, I'll be going to dress shopping and I'm super excited!  My aunt's coming in to town for it and I've already made 2-3 appointmets for this Saturday.  Is that too much or not enough?  I have a feeling that this will not be an in-and-out kind of thing (unless I find THE ONE).  Any pointers on what to bring with me, what to wear, etc?  Just want to make sure I'm not just walking in unprepared.

Thanks!

Re: Dress Shopping!

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    I went to two stores in one day before I found "the one".  I think if I hadn't found it at the second store, I would have waited for another day to try again because after awhile it gets overwhelming and you can't remember everything and the dresses can seem to blur together.
    As for what to wear, I would wear a skin toned strapless bra and a skin toned pair of underwear you are not afraid to be seen in (I would wear a full backed, control pair of panties, but others are comfortable when they are only in a thong).  I would also bring a bottle of water or two and some dry food for snacks. Another thing to bring would be a camera to take pictures so you can look at the dresses later and post "the one" on here :)
  • Options
    I second everything Doyedo posted.  The only other advice is don't let everyone else sway YOUR opinion.  The dress is one of those few times where you can say "It's my day!"
  • Options

I find it ironic that i found this post. I actually just went dress shopping this weekend for the 3rd time. The first time was just a couple window shopping stores (it was more to browse), the second time was with 2 of my bridesmaids (I had a horrible time, they made me try on sooo many dresses) and this time i brought my 4 bridesmaids, went to a complete different area to shop. tried on about 10 dresses and always came back to the first one. Needless to say it is now hanging in my mother -in-laws closet :-) 

I agree with cowgirl... Make sure that it is 'the one' that you chose and not everyone else swayed you to choose. It will be a great experience and and overwelming experience all in one. I didn't think that I was gonna have that 'awwwww' moment when I found the dress. But i totally did. After i tried my dress on NOTHING could even come close to it.

I wish you a wonderful day and enjoy every moment. 

• Options
    I made two appointments at different bridal shops the day I went, but ended up finding my dress at the first shop, so I called to cancel the second appointment. I wore a dress that was easy to take off, and heels that were comfortable. I had no idea what I wanted, but the sales associate who helped me was taking mental notes of what I didn't like vs what I did like, and narrowed down my choices until we found the one. Ended up taking only about 30-45 mins or so! 

I also had my mom, aunts and a few bridesmaids with me, so there was a bit of an entourage. I hated the thought of making people wait around and stare at me all day, but it ended up being pretty fun and I think all the ladies had a good time. I also did a little research and found a restaurant nearby the shop so that I could treat everyone to a cocktail after shopping. :-)

Have fun and good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I would just add to the above don't let yourself be pushed into a dress because everyone else likes it OR because you can get a deal if you get it that day. A lot of salons will offer some kind of discount if you try a dress on and buy it that day. It's easy to get caught up and order something, but a lot of times that does lead to dress regret. Another bride I know went to a salon around here and on her first outing ordered a $2,400 dress. This was almost $1,000 more than her budget. She loves the dress but does wonder if she could have found something equally as good for a lower price tag. The reason she ordered it that day? The salon offered a $200 discount if she ordered that day. In the grand scheme of her $20,000 wedding budget, that is a drop in the bucket. 

If you do get offered one of those first day discounts on a dress you think you love, my recommendation would be to take pictures of your favorite and have them measure you for it to determine what size they would order.  Then go have lunch or a drink or something with your posse, and take a look a the photos after a short cooling off period. If you still love it, call the store and order it or go back over there and order it before close of business. But at least you've had time to think about it. 

If there is no discount, maybe give it a 24 hour cooling off period and review the pictures. I found that a lot of times dresses I loved in person did not photograph well on my body. I am really glad I held out for a dress that looks great in person and in a picture. Keep in mind no sample dress will look perfect on you, that is the nature of sample dresses, but you should like the way the dress looks and feels on your body and see the potential to flatter. 
  • Options
    marleyjustinemarleyjustine member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2014
    I went dress shopping this past Monday with my mother, grandmother and MOH - I only had one appointment booked and a few hours before the appointment, I started wondering if I should have booked appointments at one or two other bridal salons fearing that I wouldn't find a dress. Much to my surprise, I ended up choosing the first dress that I tried on. 

The big moment for me was when my mother asked, "What's wrong with this dress?" because I had tried the dress on thinking I would be ruling it out, and my answer was "Nothing!" I absolutely loved it.

Keep an open mind. Try not to get frustrated or overwhelmed, and if you start feeling this way, take a few minutes to breathe!

Marley

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards