Honeymoon Discussions

Sandals Jamaica?

Hey everyone! Sunday I got married! Yay! It was perfect! Now comes the honeymoon planning. We had agreed almost a year ago to hold off a few months to recover from wedding expenses. Today I got a few quotes from Sandals and I am thinking either Sandals Grande Riviera or Montego Bay. Anyone have any experiences at these two resorts?

Re: Sandals Jamaica?

• I stayed at Grande Riviera for my honeymoon 8 years ago and it was awesome! we didn't do any off-resort excursions, but it's very near a bunch of them, including a big shopping center if you're into that sort of thing. Dunn's River Falls is nearby if you're adventure-types. But staying on the resort was perfectly nice, too. 

You'll fly into Montego Bay and then take a roughly 2 - 2.5 hr bus ride to Ocho Rios. It's a cool bus ride -- you get to see a lot of the actual country, and there was a guide on the bus to give us some local history. About halfway through the trip, we stopped at a little rest area where they had AWESOME jerk chicken from a stand, and there are lots of local vendors selling their things, including some handcrafted items. 
  • We just got back from our honeymoon in Ocho Rios, and it was fantastic! We stayed at the Jewel Dunn's River. It is actually an old Sandals property, so you get a lot of perks, but at a cheaper price. The ride from Montego Bay was only 1.5 to 2 hours, but we didn't get to stop along the way for jerk chicken! However, jerk chicken was an option at many of the resort's restaurants.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Jerk chicken is a must, wherever you have to get it, haha. 

I would never eat ackee and saltfish again in my life, though. 

• @esstee33 When we stopped at the little stop, we all were sketched out by the people trying to sell us drugs, so we just jumped back on the bus. One couple got the jerk chicken and once we all smelled it on the bus, we were all pissed that we didn't get any hahha 

@mocarski002 Congrats on just getting married!! I just got back from Negril and I loved it. The beach was so crystal clear and so calm. Friends have told me the beach at M. Bay and Ochos are not as good. They said it was rocky/ cliffy and windy. But the beach in Negril was paradise so check into that. We stayed at Swept Away but there was a Sandals next door. 

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    jenna8984 said:
    @esstee33 When we stopped at the little stop, we all were sketched out by the people trying to sell us drugs, so we just jumped back on the bus. One couple got the jerk chicken and once we all smelled it on the bus, we were all pissed that we didn't get any hahha 

@mocarski002 Congrats on just getting married!! I just got back from Negril and I loved it. The beach was so crystal clear and so calm. Friends have told me the beach at M. Bay and Ochos are not as good. They said it was rocky/ cliffy and windy. But the beach in Negril was paradise so check into that. We stayed at Swept Away but there was a Sandals next door. 
    Yeahhh, I just went straight for the chicken, so I don't remember anyone trying to sell me drugs, haha. I just remember seeing chickens wandering around outside and being like "Uh, wow, this is really fresh, eh?" Oh, and this one lady had a ton of really cute woodcarved things that I didn't have enough time to really look at. :( 

The beach in OR wasn't rocky/cliffy or windy, though. Were the people who said that at Sandals Grande Riviera, or another of the OR resorts? I remember there being a lot of rocky beach on the other side of the fence, but that wasn't a resort area so nobody was there anyway. 

ETA: UGH, god, that chicken, though! They gave us like half a loaf of Wonder bread to soak up that heavenly sauce, too. 
  • If you stay at Montego Bay, you also have access to Royal Caribbean - another Sandals resort in Montego Bay. That doubles the number of restaurants, etc. you have access to, including the amazingly delicious Thai one on their private island in the bay.

When we were at RC, it was a bit windy, I will admit. It didn't affect being on the beach or any of the water sports that stayed in the water near the beach, but it did limit things like snorkeling that required us to go out a bit further as the wind made the water pretty choppy. RC's beach was pretty small but really nice, but Montego Bay's was long and lovely.
  • We went to Sandals Montego Bay about 5 years ago. It was our first AI experience and we loved it. We've since been to two or three other AIs and The food at Sandals still wins. The MB property is really close to the airport but other than that we had a great time and it was beautiful. We considered booking it again for our honeymoon.
    Also you can still go to the RC property which was also awesome!
  • We stayed at a Couples Tower Isle a couple years back and it was in Ochos Rios and it was amazing!! Have to do Dunn River Falls!! It is a hike from the airport, couple hour drive. But a lot of touristy things are located in Ochos Rios so I figured we always saved time when we went off on excursions.
  • Thanks everyone! We are gonna do Grande Riviera. We are so excited!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards