Budget Weddings Forum

HELP! I don't have a option, I have to get my dress online.

Hello!

I am in desperate need of any help I can get. I live in South Africa but my fiance is American and we are getting married in America. (We met when I used to live and work in America). I have gone to a few bridal stores in South Africa and tried on many different styles of dresses so that I have an idea of what style looks best on my body type. However, I do not like any of the dresses here and they are so expensive. I will not have time to shop in American bridal stores as the wedding will be very soon after I arrive in the US so I have to order online (It can be shipped to the US with my fiance or mother-in-law). I have been doing all my research but everyone seems to think all online stores are bad. I don't want a fancy designer dress and I am on a tight budget. (The exchange rate is 1:10 so its very expensive for me). Anything under $500 would be great. I will attach a photo of the dress that I like. If anyone can find anything siumlar on a proper legit wedding dress site within my budget, that would be great! I don't want a used dress but I am pretty tiny (5fft3) so I should be able to fit into sample size dresses if needs be. I plan on taking the online dress to a tailor and having it tailored to my body type. Please help! I am so worried. :/

P.S- Does anyone know if the sites www.izidresses.com or www.foxgown.com are legit?

Re: HELP! I don't have a option, I have to get my dress online.

• I answered you on the Attire and Accessories Board.  When you post the same question on more than one board, it is helpful to put "XP" (cross posted) in your title so others are aware that there is a duplicate thread.
  • @kytchynwitche is in SA as well, maybe she can tell you where she got hers....

You could look on pre-owned dress sites such as tradesy.com and preownedweddigdresses.com then you know it's a real designer and not a cheap knockoff. Sorry I don't have experience with the sites you listed.

• How much time to you have when you get to the states? Department stores and GroupUSA sell off the rack wedding dresses and evening gowns. If you are willing to wait, it might be preferable to go that route. Where in the US are you getting married?
  • The problem with most online stores are that you really don't know what you are going to get.  And you will need alterations for sure.  If I were you, I would look into David's Bridal since they have a pretty nice selection and have many locations across the US.  I just purchased my dress from them (in person) and I'm totally in love with it.  It's also nice because a lot of the dresses have reviews with pictures so you can kind of get an idea of what the dresses look like.  How much time will you have until your wedding when you get back to the US?

This is the dress I just bought:

• GroupUSA does seem to have a lot of things off the rack, if there is a store convenient for you. 

David's would be a good place to order your dress online if you have to do that -- they do have pictures, in some cases even video clips so you can see how the dress moves, and they are definitely legit. With that said, is there someone in the US who could preview the dresses for you in person? The reason I ask is that I just shopped at David's, and while I found some beautiful dresses (didn't end up buying there, but I came close), many of the dresses I had picked ahead of time online looked vastly different in person, and not always in a good way (i.e., that lace applique looked perfect online and was not at all what I wanted up close). If there is someone who could go for you, maybe try on dresses for you if it's allowed or at least get you close-up pictures of the gowns, that would be a good idea. 
  • Yeah- I agree with @primafaba15.  Have someone go to the store, maybe someone from your bridal party to get an idea.  I did have a bunch of dresses on my list that looked much different in person. 
  • I ordered my dress from netbride.com and was happy I did.  They are legit and can price lower because they don't have any overhead expenses.  To go through them, you need to find the actual dress you want and give them the designer & style # (they only carry certain ones) and they will quote you a price (much lower than in a salon).  I actually ordered a bridesmaid dress in white, so my dress was a whopping $103.  So, surf around for a gown or bridesmaid dress that comes in white or ivory and get a quote from them.

• I ordered my dress from netbride.com and was happy I did.  They are legit and can price lower because they don't have any overhead expenses.  To go through them, you need to find the actual dress you want and give them the designer & style # (they only carry certain ones) and they will quote you a price (much lower than in a salon).  I actually ordered a bridesmaid dress in white, so my dress was a whopping $103.  So, surf around for a gown or bridesmaid dress that comes in white or ivory and get a quote from them.
    Netbride.com, pearlsplace.com, rkbridal.com are excellent discount order sites, but all sales are final, and there are NO RETURNS!
    David's Bridal does accept returns under most circumstances.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'm probably not much help because I had mine made. South African bridal stores really do suck - especially if you want something other than the standard "Barbie koek" dress...

My advice is to either try the sites mentioned by PPs, or to go for something less traditional. If you're open to colour, you can look at "matric dance" or bridesmaids dresses, which might be cheaper.

I also want to mention yesstyle.com. It is an Asian site, but it isn't a scam site. My best friend orders from them regularly, and has always been very happy. Just be aware that sometimes their colour descriptions are a little off (hot pink being described as peach), and you'll need to check your measurements against their size chart.

Good luck, and I hope you manage to find what you're looking for!
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • I'm looking at ordering a BM dress from crankybride.com but they also carry bridals. They have a brick & mortar store in Wisconsin.  As a bonus it was less expensive than the boutique that the bride found it at, but doesn't obviously include any of the b&m amenities.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Great store and they have a clearance section...all authentic designers.  you may have to pay for any alterations when you get to nyc, but the prices are quite reasonable for a new york store.

check out:

If you need a point person in nyc, contact www.mybelovedwedandart.com (917.284.3913)  They helped me and my sister out a lot and gave us free information about vendors in the area.

Best of luck!
    Esther
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards