DIY Wedding Forum

Church Decorations - opinions needed

edited September 2014 in DIY Wedding Forum
Any ideas on how to decorate the church? We are responsible for cleanup so I am thinking just something on the pews.  I am making floral borders for the aisle.

We love the space and I don't think it needs too much, but I feel like it needs something.

Ideas are appreciated!

Re: Church Decorations - opinions needed

• What's your budget?

I love lots and lots of flowers. The more, the merrier. I also can't afford that.

I can picture pew bows or possible ropes of tulle. Lots of options!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • tammym1001tammym1001 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2014
    I think it definitely depends on your budget and how you want your wedding to look, but I pinned this picture when I first started planning my wedding. I absolutely love it and it seems like it would be fairly easy to do. We didn't end up getting married in the church so I couldn't use it.

ETA: It also doesn't require to attach anything to the pews which most churches won't let you do.
  • Very pretty.

I won't be using any fresh flowers for anything, sorry I should have mentioned that. Budget would probably be around $250.  I am picturing either tulle and some of the flowers I have (I WAY overpurchased for my centerpieces) or maybe something with paper.  IDK.  Feeling a bit lost with this.
  • What restrictions does your church have?  That is something that you need to find out first.

Also when is your wedding and what time?

For me, though, I love candles.  I just love the glow they put out.

• edited September 2014
    There are no restrictions, only that we must clean up after (which is why I am making a rose petal border for the aisle rather than loose petals - easy clean up!).

Wedding is in January, 2pm ceremony.

I guess no decorations are essential unless you want them.....I just want the church to have a touch of something extra to feel like a wedding.  Again, I already have a lot of extra materials to work with so the cost would me minimal.
  • Also. Here is a pic of the church.
  • There are no restrictions, only that we must clean up after (which is why I am making a rose petal border for the aisle rather than loose petals - easy clean up!).

Wedding is in January, 2pm ceremony.

I guess no decorations are essential unless you want them.....I just want the church to have a touch of something extra to feel like a wedding.  Again, I already have a lot of extra materials to work with so the cost would me minimal.
    Will there still be Christmas decorations around? I'm thinking that this would be a great time of year for poinsettias, etc. Heck, if it's far enough after Christmas, you can get them used. I can't remember the name of the place but there's a company that will sell plants that were previously rented to office complex, etc.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Are there any restrictions on what you can do with the alter? If I were you I'd try to get a big drape-y piece of cloth to cover the alter that pools around the bottom (a bed sheet would work fantastic actually), and then put another smaller runner on top that's in one of your wedding colors. 

Also, if it's within your theme, you could also use tulle with white twinkle lights in it around the bottom of the alter to bring your focus in to the center of the front. There's a ton of space there, so I'd say the best thing for you to do is to do a lot of heavy eye-catching decorations near the ground around the alter to bring everyone's eyes down from the ceiling/window/etc. 

What's your wedding theme?
  • You could definitely do some really nice bows/pew decoration. The other thing that I think could pack a punch for cheap is something like this (maybe without the dangly bits in the middle and using pvc and fabric in your wedding colors):

Does the church have any existing candle stands that are ever on the altar area? Adding a few candles up front on tall stands would fancy things up also. But it's a beautiful church, so I wouldn't worry too much!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Even some simple pew bows say every other pew on the first 6 pews will add to the look but still be simple. Talk to the church to see if they maybe have any pew decorations that you like & can borrow. My church has a few selections for floral pew decorations that they put on for different times of the year that brides are also allowed to use.

• If you do anything I would do something where you guys will be standing.  Most of your pictures will be of the ceremony area and you want something that will be visible.

I wouldn't bother with aisle decorations unless you do candles...  If you try to do too much with too little it will look worse than a "naked" church.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • If your guests will be moving in and out of the pews (like Catholics would do for communion) beware of putting anything on the floor that could cause a slip or fall, as well as the chance of kicking a candle!
  • What are your colors? My mom and stepfather got married in a cute little church a few weeks after Christmas. Their colors were purple and silver and the church had left over artificial white poinsettias that they were able to use for aisles. 
  • This is my DIY inspired by the pinterest picture above.  They were beautiful and baby's breath was so cheap, especially through Costco.
  • ll6747 said:
    This is my DIY inspired by the pinterest picture above.  They were beautiful and baby's breath was so cheap, especially through Costco.
    I am so glad that someone did this!!!! I love that picture and yours turned out beautiful. 
  • Thank you.  The florist wanted $20 a pew.  I did 10 of them for less than $50...and with the left over materials I could have done 20 for the same price.  The only drawback was asking my niece (the bride's cousin) to go over to church a half hour early to put them up.  Took her less than 10 minutes to put up 10 of them.  It really is a pinterest success that anyone can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards