Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

When to get alterations

Hey! 

So I purchased my dress in person, and took it home that day! It fits *almost* perfectly (but I know I will lose a little weight in the next year) 

My question is: When do I get alterations done, and would I go through 3 fittings similar to if I ordered the dress at the store? Or do I bring it in closer to my date and only have one fitting?

Also, do I go to a dress shop or someone who specializes in alterations?

I got my dress at David's Bridal but I don't want to get it altered there (I've heard some horror stories) 

Thanks for your help!

Re: When to get alterations

• Options
    I took my dress in sept for my november wedding (2 months). My dress fit pretty well and had a corset back, she still preferred 3 fittings, first as an overall view of what needed to be done, second to make sure before making anythinf super perminent, third to make sure it all fit and felt good.
  • Options
    I would say go ahead and choose your seamstress, and ask when they want to do the fitting, because how soon they need to start can depend on their workload and the amount of time required for your alterations.

Where you should take it depends on what's available in your area. Some bridal stores will alter dresses from other stores, and some won't. Or you may be able to find an independent seamstress who has experience working with wedding dresses (that's the important part!) but doesn't work in a store.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    1) Don't go to David's.  Go to a real tailor.

2) Call tailor and ask how far out to do an initial consultation.  It may not seem like a lot of work to nip or tuck here or there, but if there are appliques that have to be moved, etc. it could be more work than you think.  Follow tailor's recommendation about this initial consult and let him/her give you timeline after that.

3) It will make your life a lot easier if you get your weight stable out as far as possible.  From when I bought my dress to when it was altered, I lost 9 lbs.  I think the bridal store overreacted, but they made it seem like it was an impossible task to get dress taken in for this change.  They did a terrible job, too.  :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards