Attire & Accessories Forum

MOB Dresses

Anyone have their MOB dresses picked out? 

My mom is really leaning on me to help her with this. Wondering what everyone else has going on. Everything I have seen out there is so matronly. My mom is fairly young (under 50) and I want her to feel sexy.

Re: MOB Dresses

• My mom and step mom both got theirs at Macy's. Step mom's was more sexy while mom's had a little jacket. Look in the regular evening gowns.

• Yes, look in the regular evening gowns instead of the MOB sections. Personally I feel that any of the ones with a jackets are pretty matronly (which isn't always a bad thing - that's what my mom got). 
  • I agree to steer clear of the MOB sections. They all look the same to me.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • The department stores, regular dress department, had tons for me to try on: Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, Macy's.
  • As others have stated, your mom is better off looking at the regular department stores in their regular "fine dress" section versus their wedding section.  I personally found the longer gowns to be more matronly than the cocktail dresses. 

Your mom might also find it helpful to google designers on line and look to see if there is a particular style she is leaning towards.  I tend to prefer more structured looks, and found many by Calvin Klein and Tadashi Shoji that suited me best.  Other designers she could explore are Ralph Lauren, Adrianna Papell (although I personally find hers matronly), or Tahari. 

• My mom looked at MOB dresses and said "I'm the mother of the bride, not the grandmother of the bride." She ended up falling in love with bridesmaid dress and she rocked it!

Please let her pick the colour as well. My wedding colours were purple and silver, and she was relieved when she got pick red, her favourite colour.
  • I told her to get whatever she likes in whatever color she likes. But she is pretty fashion challenged, especially when it comes to dresses and I think that is why she really wants me to help her out. 

Trust me, I would be happy to not have one more thing to have to think about lol! She does want a long dress, so I think I will take her to some department stores and see if we can find something that she can be happy with. 
  • My mom made her own for my wedding, but bought dresses for my sisters' weddings. I have seen quite a few MOB dresses that are certainly not matronly at David's Bridal.  In fact, a couple I would wear, and I'm in my 20s.

For my two sisters' weddings, my mom bought a dress at DB for one, and bought a dress at a regular store for the other. 
  • My mom and my MIL both got dresses from the same boutique where I got my dress. They're both in their 60s, but are very young, and typical MO dresses would have looked terrible on them. 
    Department stores like Macy's are always good options. 
  • Badgley Mischka ended up having lots of options for my mom and MOG.  One selected this dress, it is gorgeous on:
    image image

• edited November 2014
    My step-mom wore this <clicky>

My mom is self-conscious about her arms. (Maybe it's matronly but, I mean, she's in her 60s and would normally wear an ankle-length denim jumper dress, so this was a giant step up and she looked amazing.) <clicky>

• My Mom wore a Jim Hjelm BM dress.  She got it from a bridal boutique near where she lives.  I thought she looked fabulous in it.

• My mom wore a lovely fitted black and gold cocktail dress that I totally would rock myself, and then paired it with a silky blazery type jacket that she found separately because she wanted her arms covered. It looked awesome and modern and not matronly.
  • My mom found both MOB dresses (for my wedding this year and my sister's last year) in the evening gown section at Macy's. She's young too and VERY petite and all of the traditional MOB dresses looked like they belong on..well no one IMO...I think they all look generally unflattering (with some exceptions). Here's the dress she selected for my wedding:

My MIL found her dress at JCPenny, again in the formal wear section. It was just above knee length and charcoal gray with subtle sequins which felt very sexy and and dressed up for her. I was happy as long as she was happy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards