Gay Weddings

What was your proposal like?

Hi everyone! I am proposing to my girlfriend of 3 1/2 years on the 15th of February when we are visiting her family in Copenhagen, Denmark and I was wondering how everyone else proposed/was proposed to?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What was your proposal like?

• hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2014
    @LadyMorvenMacBeth

Congrats on wanting to propose. I am sure however you decide to do it will be amazing and you and your girlfriend will be happy about the engagement. :) Good luck and keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Anyway, here's my proposal story:
    We got engaged December 1st, 2012 (we decided on longer engagement so we could have a summer wedding and not have to plan everything in just a few months).The day started with a trip to the Botanical Gardens, Mitchell Domes and a movie followed by us going out to a nice dinner for our 6 month anniversary at That's Amore restaurant. (We have known each other for 10 years and dated for a while in high school) Once the main meal was over, the waitress brought out a bottle of Asti Spumanti (Champagne) per my (now) fiance's request which was unknown by me since he had requested it while I was away from the table. While enjoying the nice champagne and sharing Tiramisu, he began an elegant toast to us and our relationship. Immediately following the toast he got down on his knee beside the table and asked me to marry himI of course said yes! There were people from the other tables watching us so people were congratulating us and a couple people clapped. 
  • Eee! So exciting! I proposed to my gal last Valentine's day. Honestly, I wasn't planning to do it. I was planning to wait until our anniversary a month later, but I was all gooey about Valentine's Day and got caught up in the romance of everything and couldn't help myself. I already had the ring, so I thought "let's do this!!" Here's how it went down: Normal mushy Valentine's day: Sent her flowers at work, made her a mix CD of love songs of bands we both like/have seen, reservation at a nice restaurant for dinner...I made her a booklet of all the lyrics to the songs on the mix CD with my favorite line from each song accented. I gave her the booklet after dinner and told her to look through it at all the lyrics I picked out. One of the songs is about a proposal ("Question" by the Old 97, cute song, super heteronormative) and there's a line: "Someday somebody's gonna ask you a question that you should say "yes" to once in your life...tonight I've got a question for you." She gets to the line, looks up, I pull out the ring...!!! Tears, she says yes, champagne...the rest is history. I was so insanely scared and nervous...I didn't decide I was going to do it until we were about to leave for the restaurant so I didn't have a romantic speech prepared or anything...luckily, my normal V-Day planning saved me. My only regret is not getting on one knee. We were in a crowded restaurant and I choked. I wish I had, but she says it was perfect anyway and that's all that matters. Do you have a plan? I'm sure it'll be beautiful, but I'll wish you good luck anyway. <3
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @pumpkin314159

Aw that's so cute!

I have the very basics of a plan; we're going to see Madama Butterfly (which is possibly the most unromantic Opera ever) and then we're going to a restaurant for dinner, which is where I'll actually propose. But I'm really stuck on how to actually propose; I'm possibly the most unromantic person ever, seconded by my girlfriend. Everyone advises me to prepare a speech and do lots of romantic things, but I have no idea. Hence why I'm on here, looking for inspiration. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Here's our story!

When it happened

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

How we got engaged

A proposed to S on Wednesday, October 31, 2012.  Yes, it was Halloween.  Yes, S was wearing devil horns.

But, the costume isn't relevant to the story.

Unbeknownst to S, this had been in the works for quite some time.  A visited jewelry stores, sought advice and assistance from friends, and settled on a beautiful, custom-designed sapphire and diamond ring.  A even called S parents. 

Elaborate plans to propose on stage at the Drag Show S's school put son, or to stage an elaborate,Glee-type proposal using students, were quickly eliminated.

A recruited the graphic design talents of one of her students,  (S had hired the student to create the poster for the Drag Show), and they hatched a plan. 

On Halloween, S and A had tickets to go see the band, fun., at the State Theater.  On their way to the theater, A got a call from the student and asked S to check her email (thank goodness for smart phones) so that she could look at the drag show poster proof.

S checked her email, opened the file, and instead of a poster featuring drag queens and the school logo, she found the image above.  In A's handwriting, it said, "I'll be your Watson If you'll be my Holmes.  S, will you marry me?"

The background is the wallpaper from the 221B Baker Street apartment featured in the BBC series, Sherlock.  Yes, S is a geek(and Holmes is her last name).  Yes, A loves her all the more for it.

Turning to see A getting down on one knee and presenting her with a ring box, S's response was, "What are you doing? Are you crazy?  What? Of course I'll marry you!"

They met up with friends, they enjoyed their evening, and the concert was a lot of fun. (ha!).

And then, a week later, the voters of Maine supported the referendum for marriage equality.  Thank you, voters of Maine, for supporting love and justice.

• Awww what a sweet story! Well mine is a little less dramatic (not that Drama during a proposal is a bad thing) FI is always trying to surprise me, one day while she was in NC visiting me she looks me square in the face and tells me "you are going to be my wife". I laughed it off, a few weeks later while I was in NYC visiting her she made the same proclimation while we were at our friends apartment making dinner, this time with ring in hand.
  • My FI and I had been talking about weddings and rings for months and months, but she didn't know that I already had a ring for her.  There is this place in the UP of Michigan called Tequamenon Falls (beautiful), and I had never been, so she decided to take me away for the weekend.  I had a book of pictures and quotes made on Shutterfly of our history together.  My plan was that we were going to take a row boat out to the falls, and I would propse to her there.  The entire trip up she kept saying she didn't want to go out into the water, so I knew that we needed to come up with a new plan.

She is a huge beer fan, and there is a brewery at the base of the falls, so we decided to go there for dinner.  When I had walked in, I forgot my cell phone and had to go back out to the car (totally on accident).  When I got back out there, I decided that I would give her the book, and I already had the ring in my purse.  I came back in and said that I had made her something, I am pretty crafty, so she didn't think much about it.  So, she looked through the book and got a little teary, she looks at me, and I have the ring open for her to see.

I was a wreck, and couldn't say a word.  Finally I said "you didn't answer", to which she replied "you didn't ask anything" (I had in my mind)  :)

The UP is very isolated, and there was a tiny gas station on the way back to the hotel, we stopped and got a bottle of Boone's farm, and celebrated like the high class bitches we are! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got engaged twice!

The first time was 8 years ago as we were finishing college. We'd been together for 2 years and I figured we should get married. So at a monthly art walk we stopped to get some coffee and listen to a band play. I figured that was good enough for romance and while we cuddled on the couch I slipped out a ring I had gotten her and asked her if she'd marry me. She smiled, kissed me and said yes!

We started planning but then I started grad school, she started law school, and it was all too much. So we decided to wait. We were still together, still engaged, but just...waiting. After I got my masters we sat down and had a talk, she still had a year left to go, but we felt we could handle planning with only one of us in school. So we were back on for a fall wedding the following year (after she graduated). She graduated (with honors because she's hot and smart) and we started to get into the thick of planning. And then my mom got sick.

My word was rocked. My mom has always been my calm rock in the storm of my life and now she was very ill and we didn't know what was going to happen and nothing else mattered. I didn't care about dresses or cakes. Sophie (FI) stood by my side and we put off the wedding.

Then my mom got better! But life got in the way of a wedding and we just didn't think much about it. I went back to school (again), Sophie got a new job, we bought a condo, a wedding just wasn't in our minds.

Then my mom and her girlfriend got married on a weekend trip to California. Afterwards my mom looks at us and says "See, was that so f-ing hard? Get married already!", finally one day out of the blue in February Sophie come to see me at work grabs my hand, takes off my ring and says "Will you f-ing marry me already?" and I said yes.
  • Wow!! Great stories ladies!!! Im not sure if i can type it exactly how it all happened, because im sure ill miss some important details. So what i will do is add the link HERE to the video. Enjoy and Congrats ladies!! 

• Sandy and I met in Phoenix Arizona in 2009. We were both in education at the time and I had undergone an emergency surgery after finding out that I had a tumor that was 10 inches in diameter and 10 lbs. I was devastated because I lost the ability to have children as a result of the surgery. However at that time as our friendship grew so did our love and our family as Sandy had already had two young children.

So after 4 years together I organized a surprise proposal to my partner of now 5 years in march of 2014 in Scottsdale Arizona on a weekend get away that included about 50 of our friends and family. At the time not really believing that we would be able to have a marriage that was recognized by the state we live in. However, we began planning a nice ceremony with our family and friends. Then on June 26th of 2014 my partner and I took the opportunity to get married o when the state of Indiana officially legalized same sex marriage for the first time a the courthouse. We were thrilled to find out that Indiana followed through and our marriage stands and Arizona has just recently passed the same sex marriage law. 

Our ceremony in Arizona next march will be even more special and dear to us. We have two beautiful boys, Thomas 7 and Aiden 6 who we love and adore. In light of the knot gay weddings I wanted to share a brief spotlight of our story with you. Attached is the video of our proposal, and pictures of our wonderful family. We will be tying the knot at and incredible venue is scottsdale Arizona, The Clayton on the Park. The proposal: I talked Sandy into a weekend get away to Phoenix for a late valentines day and early anniversary. That would be the perfect decoy to plan the proposal around. I organized some shirts to be made for our family and friends who flew into AZ. Some who lived there help me with logistics. I asked Sandy if we could plan a hike and invite a few friends because here in plymouth we don't get the weather or the beautiful mountain tops to do so anymore. So she invited a few friends. They had already been prompted by me to respectfully decline but hopefully catch up later in the weekend or that night for dinner. I had a some friends keep her busy while I met with all the friends and family who came together at the base of the mountain to start hiking up ahead of us. They left with roses in their had and made their way of the mountain with many stopped along the way. Our parents and closet friends made their way all the way to the top of the mountain with a large banner to wait for our arrival. As we made our way up we kept running into each of the members of the hike who gave Sandy a flower and said either happy anniversary or happy valentines day to throw her off. Then they joined us on our journey to the top of the mountain and our group grew larger and larger. When we got to the top both of our mothers , mine flew in from Las Vegas and hers in from Indiana were at the Top of the mountain. It was their first time spending time together. 

I proposed to her at the top of the mountain while they held a banner that had a picture I had taken of our two boys back in indiana that said "will you marry me?" Because they could not travel with us this trip I wanted to have them in spirit at the top of the mountain. They helped me pick out the ring prior.

• Hope everything went well!  Here is our story:

When it Happened

Sunday, August 25, 2013

How it Happened

The morning of 8/25/13 didn't start out too well for Tor.  He was already irritated about having to spend the whole day, beginning at 7am, doing inventory at his store.  So it didn't help matters much that Tor woke up late!  I still remember him rushing out of bed, brushing his teeth, throwing on some clothes and running out of his apartment.  Luckily for me, he had time to tell me one thing:

"I'll be home around 11 for lunch babe, see you then.  Love ya!"  Little did Tor know that his lunch hour was exactly what I wanted to know. 

Just as he left, I wondered if he realized that today would be the day his life changed forever.

As soon as I heard his car leave, I hopped into action.  I ran to my car and picked up the rings I hid in my trunk, just in case.  A quick trip to the store to pick up some rose petals and candles, then another hour to set them up (as shown in the picture).  I set up the perfect song to surprise him when he came home.  Then came the hard part, waiting.

I thought he would never get home!  I still remember pacing and feeling nervous, excited, anxious, scared and happy all at once.  The whole time I kept thinking to myself, after this day, everything would change.

Then I heard him opening the door.  Here goes...

Tor walks in the door, sweating and still irritated.  He sees the candles and his mood instantly changes.  He hears the song "Whenever, Wherever, Whatever" by Maxwell and follows the trail of rose petals to see me waiting in the bedroom.

"What's all this babe?" He asks.

I kiss him and say "I don't know if you remember, but two years ago today, we met for the first time.  And my life has never been the same."

No reaction.  He has no idea what I'm about to do!

So I try again. "We've had a lot of good times, and some bad.  But we've always had each other.  And the journey will only get better." 

Still no reaction!  Time to be absolutely clear...

I get down on one knee.  At that point he realizes what I'm doing and he starts crying.  I grab the engagement ring hidden under the pillow and hand him the box.

"Open it, it's for you,"  I say.

He opens it, and starts crying even more!

I take it out and slip it on his finger (it has to be his pinky, because it doesn't fit!).  Then the words...

"Tormain Stanley Harrison Jr., will you marry me?"

"YES!!!" he screamed.

The rest is history...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards