Ohio-Toledo

Put-in-Bay Wedding suggestions

Hi!

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for a Put-in-Bay wedding? Or, Is anyone out there also trying to plan a late summer/fall Put-in-Bay wedding or have been to one in the past? I haven't met anyone that has attended (or been in) an island wedding and wish there was a PIB wedding blog site! I'm not sure what to expect and having a hard time narrowing down (and obviously can't site visit yet!)

We're hoping to pull off an outdoor ceremony (near water) and (hopefully) outdoor reception that isn't too crazy expensive for us and for our guests staying overnight

Thanks for any info you may have
Kate

Re: Put-in-Bay Wedding suggestions

• amjlamjl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom makes wedding cakes as a side job and we delivered a cake out to Kelley's Island, which is right next to PIB, this past summer. The bride and groom rented a large house and had their families stay at the house with them and then had the wedding right on the beach. Their reception was at the winery on the island. They had a small outdoor pavillion where the food/cake/DJ/dancefloor after the food and then they had a tent set up next to the pavillion with tables and chairs. It was very cute, but also a small wedding. Less than 40 people.

The winery website is kelleysislandwine.com and I would think it would be less expensive to have a wedding on Kelley's Island rather than PIB since it is the smaller of the two and not as well known as PIB.

There is also a conference center on PIB that hosts weddings. That may be a good place to start if you haven't already looked there.

I also think that the lighthouse right there on the mainland hosts weddings or has some sort of reception venue?

Another thought to a beach type of wedding is maumee bay state park, which is right on the water and has a nice convention center.
  • skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would contact PIB thorugh http://www.putinbay.com/ They have a link for weddings & catering:  http://www.putinbay.com/weddings.htm It provides information about weddings at the conference center.  See this site for info about the conference center and and the Commodore's Resort:
    http://www.putinbayonline.com/weddings.php

You may want to consider renting several golf carts for the party and typically they will deal on longterm and group rentals). We usually use the rental across from the Carriage House (big green gift shop) on Delaware. I can't think of the name but we often rent for 4-5 days at at a time, they let us keep them over night next to our boat.  We did have one "stolen" from us while we were at PIB Yacht Club, they weren't worried, they knew it didn't leave the island and simply gave us another one.

You might check in to using the Dollar house for wedding -http://www.thecrewsnest.com/dollarmansion.html   It is the big house you see just East of the square (just East of Mossbacks) on Bayview. They have a big backyard and a gazebo and I think they rent it out for events. I've attended some events there for the Inter-Lake Yacthing Assocation (ILYA).

Check out the Crews Nest, they would do weddings also. (and apparently are responsible for use of The Dollar House now)

oh and of course, check out Put In Bay Yacht club. The yacht club is further East of the there by a few blocks.

Put-in-Bay Yacht Club

Located .2 miles west of the Boardwalk Docks.
    The 124-foot pier is open to the public and is available by reservation only.
    Daily and overnight rates $1.50 per running foot for the general public and for AYC & ILYA members.
    A $20 day rate (four hours maximum) is available space permitting.
    Other facilities on site, such as the launch ramp, are free to PIBYC members and members of I-LYA or AYC affiliated clubs. We charge a $5 ramp fee for non-members.
    Phone 419-285-4505
    Website http://www.pibyc.org

I just found this place, don't know if it would work but maybe
    http://www.putinbayhouse.com/

I think you could do a wedding at Stonehenge Estate - near the airport
    Stonehenge Estatewww.putinbay.com/images/cleardot.gif" border="0" alt="xxx" hspace="1" vspace="1" height="20" />
    www.putinbay.com/images/robopics/stonehenge.jpg" border="0" alt="xxx" hspace="5" vspace="5" width="100" height="76" align="left" />www.putinbay.com/images/cleardot.gif" border="0" alt="" width="107" height="77" align="right" /> A visit to South Bass Island, Put-in-Bay isn't complete without a visit to Stonehenge. Nestled on seven acres of woods and beautifully landscaped grounds, Stonehenge brings to life a segment of island history from the 1800's through present day living. You can enjoy the beautiful grounds, farmhouse and wine press cottage at your leisure while taking a self-guided audiocassette tour of the property. Be sure to stop in and visit the gift shop.

808 Langram Road || 419-285-2585 || N/A

This might also be a useful site http://www.putinbayonline.com/news.php

• edited December 2011
    Hi there,
     I live on Put-in-Bay.
    I suggest that you check out www.put-in-bay.com (not the earlier link a PP suggested - make sure you put in the dashes).  This is the true chamber of commerce website.

I recommend the following venues:
    The Crew's Nest  - great location, excellent catering with outdoor reception available
    The Put-in-Bay Yacht Club  - ditto
    The Crescent Tavern - right downtown with indoor and outdoor catering available
    A Taste of the Party Events - a catering company that will provide full service catering and party planning - but does not have a venue location of its own (does off site catering/event planning)

You could also inquire about having your ceremony outside at the following locations:
    The Gazebo in the DeRiviera Park
    The Put-in-Bay Lighthouse

Hope this was helpful  :)

• edited December 2011
    amjl,

Does your mom do wedding cakes in Sandusky?  I am getting married Friday, June 4, 2010 at Lyman Harbor and am looking for my wedding cake.  I would love her info!  Thanks
  • AmandaChapAmandaChap member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As mentioned earlier, the site at the lighthouse in Marblehead belongs to the church next to it.  You can get married at the lighthouse but I think it's just an informal meeting at the lighthouse with your officiant and not something that is planned out. You would have to call the State Parks office to get more information about having it at the lighthouse. 
  • Hi Kshumaker...I am also planing a wedding at Put-In-Bay for June 2013. We are having the reception at the Put-in-Bay Yacht Club. It's $750 to rent out the whole place on Friday's and Saturdays...$700 for Sundays and weekdays...I'ts less if you don't need the whole place. Call barb Chrystler 419-285-4505 or 419-357-4505. The Chef there Woody will make anything you want. You just need to make e-mail Barb with what you want to serve and then negotiate a price. You can also put up tents if you need to for a fee. We are having our wedding Sunday in the afternoon because there is no 2 night minimum for lodging and  holding it early so that guests can get off the island and go home if they want. For our ceremony we are renting 6 campsites for the entire weekend... #112-117 are on cliffs on the water at the the South Bass (Put-in-Bay) State park...we intend on getting married on the campsites because it is so beautiful and rent out the pavilion and serve appetizers before the reception. I like the Crews nest but the pavilion is outside and if it's hot I want air conditioning. We are also going to get vouchers through Miller Ferry to save guests on transportation. My family went through VRBO (vacation rental by owner) and are renting a big home then splitting the cost. Others will be staying at hotels or camping. I am bringing up all my own decorations and will decorate the Club in the morning. As for a cake The Village Bakery and Cafe makes them on the island for $5.95 per slice but if you order from the mainland they can drop it at the ferry then Miller calls the club and someone from the club picks it up. I also heard Tonya'scakes.com in Port Clinton makes great cakes, I'm still working on that and the flowers too. I going to order 20 dozen of white gladiolus and either bring them or have them delivered. I also have to figure out the bridal bouquets. For music I ran across a great d.j. that does island music and is really interactive with the crowd. He charges $600.00 or so his name is B.E. Mann  http://www.bemann.com/ I still have a lot to work out. If you have any suggestions please let me know. 
  • <div>Hi,</div><div>I am another bride wanting to get married on Put-in-Bay.  I was wondering if you could help me out with more waterfront ceremony locations?  I have heard that the Doller House does lakefront weddings in their gazebo but I have never been there and wondered if you can really see the lake during the ceremony?  If not do you have any other suggestions besides the two you previously listed?  I want to come up to the island to see myself but I wouldn't know where to start and I need to decide soon because I would like to send out invitations. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!</div><div>Thanks so much</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_put-bay-wedding-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:237Discussion:85a9bf86-feb2-4e0d-93f4-74cca758813bPost:7d09a783-b3e7-4f90-a77d-b9c65e1e43f9">Re: Put-in-Bay Wedding suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi there,  I live on Put-in-Bay. I suggest that you check out <a href="http://www.put-in-bay.com" rel="nofollow">www.put-in-bay.com</a> (not the earlier link a PP suggested - make sure you put in the dashes).  This is the true chamber of commerce website. I recommend the following venues: The Crew's Nest  - great location, excellent catering with outdoor reception available The Put-in-Bay Yacht Club  - ditto The Crescent Tavern - right downtown with indoor and outdoor catering available A Taste of the Party Events - a catering company that will provide full service catering and party planning - but does not have a venue location of its own (does off site catering/event planning) You could also inquire about having your ceremony outside at the following locations: The Gazebo in the DeRiviera Park The Put-in-Bay Lighthouse Hope this was helpful  :)
    Posted by Nov08Bride[/QUOTE]
  • Hi, I know these posts are old but I am posting information for anyone seeking info on Put-n- Bay weddings. I am having my wedding here this September. The ceremony is at Oak Point State Park. If you type this name in, you can google the website and find a number to call. You have to fill out an application that basically tells the park owners what you are using the site for and agreeing to no alcohol on the premises. You may be charged a fee for using it, but the man I worked with waived this. The application also ensures that no other events or weddings are going on on the same day. Our reception is being held at Niagara Event Center on Concord Avenue. The owners also own T&J Smokehouse(formerly known as The Crescent Tavern), The Islander Inn, and several other business's on the island. So, you can use their event center, their catering company, and their hotel for guests! The wife of one of the owners also has a salon on the island to have the bride's hair and make-up done. I used the Golden Rose Florist shop stationed out of Sandusky for the florist and used a personal friend's cake company. I had to do a lot of investigating and planning because of it being on an island with limited resources. Hope this helps out other bride's planning a Put-n-Bay wedding!
  • when we looked at the places up there crews nest niagra and one other and they are sucked. crews nest was 2 outdoors and 1 small indoor place. niagra was too blah you could go anywhere and get that and the other had a pool party going on for half the party and an awkward shaped room.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards