Wedding Invitations & Paper

e-mailing save the dates

we are e-mailing our save the dates and just directing everyone to our website for all of the info. 

should we address the e-mail to all of the people that are invited to the wedding or wait to to that for the actual invitation?  We are having a destination wedding so want to make sure people know who exactly is invited.

thanks!

Re: e-mailing save the dates

• I doubt if everyone will pay attention to your e-mail.  There is so much SPAM out there, it will likely get trashed unread.  I suggest you use inexpensive post cards.  Vistaprint does a good job.
    Everyone who receives an STD MUST be invited to your wedding.  No wiggle room.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We sent emails to people coming from out of town, like my aunts and uncles. Unless you're inviting a bunch of people you don't even know, I don't know why people would ignore an email from you. But if you want people to know exactly who's invited, a postcard is probably better.
  • I just sent my STD via email yesterday and a lot of people received them. If they didn't check email then OH Well! You could call people also to make sure they received it. We did a video STD because we met online and thought it would be cute to tie in that idea. Plus it saved us money on postage and cards. 

And...to answer your question. Just send to those most certainly invited! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • should we address the e-mail to all of the people that are invited to the wedding or wait to to that for the actual invitation?  We are having a destination wedding so want to make sure people know who exactly is invited.

**Stuck in Box**
    Save the Dates are a way of letting someone know they are invited to a wedding and should anticipate an invitation in the future, you're just giving them a head's up that this is the date in question if they need to make travel/hotel/etc. arrangements in advance. If they aren't invited to the wedding, don't send a STD. Likewise, if you send someone a STD they need to be invited to the wedding.

• redoryx said:
    should we address the e-mail to all of the people that are invited to the wedding or wait to to that for the actual invitation?  We are having a destination wedding so want to make sure people know who exactly is invited.

**Stuck in Box**
    Save the Dates are a way of letting someone know they are invited to a wedding and should anticipate an invitation in the future, you're just giving them a head's up that this is the date in question if they need to make travel/hotel/etc. arrangements in advance. If they aren't invited to the wedding, don't send a STD. Likewise, if you send someone a STD they need to be invited to the wedding.

I don't think that was the question.  I think the OP meant, does she need to track down the email address of Uncle Vinnie, or will sending the STDate to Aunt Judy suffice?  Will Aunt Judy know that both she and Uncle Vinnie should both save the date?
  • From the perspective of guests, it will be more clear and convenient for them if everyone being invited got their own email.

When FI books plane tickets, I end up asking him the details of the itinerary about 12 thousand times before I finally ask him to forward the email to me. I always think I'll remember that type of stuff, and then I dont.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I would personalize each one to make sure that you include the names of those invited in the body of the email.  

People need to know who is invited, if their children are invited, and they need to know that they can't forward the email to whatever random people they decide to bring along.
  • thanks for all your replies.  Yes I know to not send STDs to people who aren't invited to the wedding it was more just to be clear like...your step kids aren't invited for example.....

• thanks for all your replies.  Yes I know to not send STDs to people who aren't invited to the wedding it was more just to be clear like...your step kids aren't invited for example.....

Deal with that when you send the invitations. Don't worry about it for the STDs. Just try to be as clear as possible about who *is* invited, and never point out who isn't.
  • JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    It seems really inappropriate for the guests to know who the other guests are. I don't need all of your contacts having my information. :/

You should BCC them at the very least.

I don't want to be part of the incoming "omg sooooo excited!" replies.
  • It seems really inappropriate for the guests to know who the other guests are. I don't need all of your contacts having my information. :/

You should BCC them at the very least.

I don't want to be part of the incoming "omg sooooo excited!" replies.

I would take it a step further and say each couple/family ought to be receiving their own email. It still takes less time than addressing and stamping envelopes. An email blast is really impersonal.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I would definitely BCC. 
  • I think emailed STDs are fine. I received one just a few months ago.  I don't really think there's any point to designing a fancy one, screen shotting it, and emailing it.  The one I received just said something like "Hey, our wedding date is xyz in this location. Save the date!"

Also, I don't really get that people would ignore it or it would get lost in the shuffle, like @cmgragain said.  I use gmail, which has an excellent spam filter. Very little spam gets into my email inbox.  In fact, I would say I get more spam in my physical mail box than I do in my email.  Especially considering we just finished an election cycle with a high profile senate race.

Put "Save the Date - Joncybelle and Barnabas' wedding" in the subject line. People can't miss that.

One thing to keep in mind, BCC people.  Not everyone will be happy if you put their email where everyone can see it.
  • chrissy0905chrissy0905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2014
    I sent save-the-dates via email and I only had one person who didn't receive it due to spam filtering. I would suggest NOT doing a group email and instead send them out individually. I wrote a few versions of the email and then simply personalized them for each recipient with their names.

For example, we put "Save the Date - Bride's name and Groom's name are getting married!"

It was followed by a text that looked a little like this...

Dear ****,
    You may have already heard the happy news, but we wanted to formally announce it. We're getting married next winter! Groom's name and I are really excited to celebrate with our families and loved ones. So please save the date on your calendar because we'd love for you and **** to be amongst us on our special day.

We also included a graphical STD that a friend/BM made, which had the wedding date, the venue and gave a general feel for our wedding (in our case it was winter-themed and in our colour scheme).

We received a very positive response from people.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Well, the one issue I'd have with an emailed save-the-date is that people seem to regard electronic communication with less seriousness than paper, so it's quite possible that the recipients won't remember to save your wedding date. Aside from that, provided everyone who gets one receives an invitation and that recipient identities are protected, I think they're okay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards