Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Calling all VegetarianS, HELP!

I need to choose my vegetarian meal and I am not sure which one would be preferred. If you had a choice, what would you go with?

Vegetable Potato Terrine, Braised fennel, Sauteed Seasonal Vegetables and Corn Relish

Vegetable Cannelloni and Smoked Yellow Tomato Pomodoro Sauce

Herb Gnocchi with Late Summer Succotash

Thanks!

Re: Calling all VegetarianS, HELP!

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    (I'm a former vegetarian and attended many events while vegetarian, if that helps.)

I'm sure they are all perfectly fine.  Will you be tasting them prior to your final selection or are you not doing a tasting?

Pasta is always safe, so the cannelloni is probably your safest bet.  However, I will say that when I was veg, I really got sick of being served the requisite pasta with tomato sauce.  I usually enjoyed and remembered most the events where I was served something other than pasta, usually some version of a vegetable napoleon.  However, I think fennel can be a polarizing ingredient.  I love it and would love the terrine, but I think it's the least safe option due to the fennel and depending on the other vegetables in it (eggplant is another  love it or hate it kind of food it seems).  The gnocchi is a good go between - technically a pasta, but just different enough to not be the standard pasta and tomato sauce, as long as they can make gnocchi light and pillowy and not heavy and gummy - it can be hard to make a good gnocchi.

I think it depends on how safe you'd want to be.  If I were at a restaurant, I would probably order the terrine for myself, but if I had to order for others, I would pick the gnocchi (so long as I trusted them to make a good gnocchi).
  • @jacques27 I won't get to taste it at the tasting because we don't get enough tasting options. I was leaning toward the gnocchi as well. I have had it there and it is really good. I just wanted to have more opinions because I don't want them to feel like they are an afterthought. 
  • Then if you loved the gnocchi, I would pick it.  Usually, to me, pasta + tomato sauce = afterthought (although cannelloni is usually delicious in my opinion).  I just think the fennel in the terrine dish just makes it too much of a wildcard (I've had too many battles with friends about how "fennel is not the same thing as licorice, just try it, it's good, I promise!" and them stubbornly refusing because they were once told it tastes just like licorice).
  • Thank you for the advice! Gnocchi it is!
  • I would have said the gnocchi as well - might not be as different as the terrine, but I agree that the fennel might not be to everyone's taste on that one.
  • gnocchi!  Yum!
  • I think it depends on whether you need gluten free, egg free or dairy free meals as well. If you do, I'd guess the first one is likely the best choice (but would of course advise you to check with the caterer) that way you can knock out many popular dietary restrictions with one dish. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards