Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Unusual but delish options....

Our tasting is Thursday and we have chosen a Veal, Lamb, Steelhead Trout, Chicken, and Sworfish to try. 

If we end up with say a Lamb and Steelhead or Veal and Swordfish would it be really awful?

Re: Unusual but delish options....

• crackktheskyycrackktheskyy member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Our tasting is Thursday and we have chosen a Veal, Lamb, Steelhead Trout, Chicken, and Sworfish to try. 

If we end up with say a Lamb and Steelhead or Veal and Swordfish would it be really awful?
    Listen, I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm an adventurous eater myself, and would like any of those options (yes please especially to the lamb and swordfish!)

However, at a wedding you're more in the business of pleasing the masses. Therefore, I would recommend having at least one conventional option for people who might not want to try anything adventurous. Do you have a vegetarian option? You'll need one of those, too!

I would do a veg option, chicken, and either an adventurous red meat (like lamb) or fish.

ETF: grammar
  • I would choose one "adventurous" option but then stick to something that is more appealing to the masses such as chicken.

I am semi-picky eater, especially when I go out to eat.  When I go out somewhere I like picking something that I know I will like and enjoy.  And if you only offered lamb or trout I would most likely be picking at the potato on the side and eating the granola bar I stashed in my clutch.  As a host of an event do you really want to offer two things that a good amount of your guests may not like and then they will just pick one because they have to and that item being wasted along with your money you used to pay for it?

• I'd go with the chicken (if it's delish) and one of the more adventurous options. Lots of people won't eat veal or lamb 'cause it's babies, and seafood is problematic for lots of people on multiple levels. 
  • I would definitely pick a chicken or less adventurour options for one of the choices in order to please more people.  

• I'm with PPs. It all sounds delicious to me, but I too am an adventurous eater. DH is not. Of the items listed above, the only one he would eat is the chicken. If the only options were, say, veal and swordfish, we'd probably be leaving the reception early because he would be starving.

Personally, with those options, I'd be picking the chicken and whichever of the fish options was more appealing to me.
  • Also, if you want to be a bit more adventuresome with your food, you can always do so more in your apps.  This way if picky eaters aren't super thrilled with sweet bread apps they know that they still have a nice full entree of chicken to fill their bellies.

• Partly it depends on your crowd. How many guests are you having? I only had 5 guests, so it was easy to figure out their tastes (I mean, 4 of them were our parents!) so our whole menu was "adventurous", but I know that if we had a larger crowd (perhaps even just if SiL came) we would have picked a drastically different menu!
  • Partly it depends on your crowd. How many guests are you having? I only had 5 guests, so it was easy to figure out their tastes (I mean, 4 of them were our parents!) so our whole menu was "adventurous", but I know that if we had a larger crowd (perhaps even just if SiL came) we would have picked a drastically different menu!
    I still dream about your wedding menu.
  • lc07 said:
    Partly it depends on your crowd. How many guests are you having? I only had 5 guests, so it was easy to figure out their tastes (I mean, 4 of them were our parents!) so our whole menu was "adventurous", but I know that if we had a larger crowd (perhaps even just if SiL came) we would have picked a drastically different menu!
    I still dream about your wedding menu.
    Me too... :P

Definitely one of the best meals of my life!
  • I'm an adventurous eater as well, and wholeheartedly agree with the PP in having at least one "traditional" option (chicken).  I raised lamb but other than LambBQ never developed a taste for it.  That said I could survive if presented that as an option, but it wouldn't likely be my first choice.  The swordfish is about as adventurous as I'd probably go with those options unless you've got a very small group and you know they're all adventurous eaters as well...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards