Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cioppino as wedding food?

Hi All :)
So my fiancé and I are getting married in May 2015 and recently we sat down with a caterer to discuss what we might potentially want as a menu. The one thing my fiancé is absolutely insisting on is having cioppino served as a main dish. Now I love this idea because I love cioppino, but it occurs to me that not everyone may like cioppino - that being said, I have a few questions.

1. What would be a good (cost effective) alternative to offer? I was thinking maybe another stew type thing so it's similar.
2. What are good side dishes to serve? We are currently just thinking first course: salad, second course: main - cioppino with pasta and crusty bread, & I was thinking we should have a 3rd course of a cheese plate. We are also having a cocktail hour with hors d'oeuvre prior to the dinner.
3. Should I just not worry about offering an alternative? I feel torn on this one.

I would love to hear other opinions on this!

Re: Cioppino as wedding food?

• Options
    You definitely need another option as well as a vegetarian option if you have any invited vegetarians. While I agree that cioppino is delicious, it's also a more adventurous food. 

Not only that, but you basically rule out vegetarians, picky eaters, people who dislike seafood, and people who are allergic to shellfish all in one dish.

I would add a vegetarian entree as well as a more traditional chicken type entree. If you're going to stick with a soup/stew dinner for everyone, I would add some traditional and well liked soups (some of which are also vegetarian.) I'm thinking broccoli cheddar, split pea, italian wedding soup, beef stew, etc.
  • Options
    Cioppino is just really messy. What with the juicy shellfish and crusty bread. Or maybe that's just a personal problem, but oh well.

What if you did a raw bar or a seafood broth without the shellfish?
  • Options

Lots of people don't like or have allergies to seafood, so you definitely need another choice or two. Chicken pot pie, Chicken Fricassee,  beef Bourguignon, beef Stroganoff, pasta fagioli or pasta primavera.

• Options
    Shellfish allergy here!  I completely agree with PPs.  I would add two alternatives for a main dish - one option for vegetarians and one that would cater to less adventurous eaters.  I would consider something such as Moroccan style vegetarian stew or a lentil stew for vegetarians and perhaps chicken with dumplings as your "safe" dish.  I would also make sure at least one recipe could be made gluten free for guests with allergies.
    Anniversary

• Options
    It's great, I love it, you definitely need a second choice, for all the reasons previously given. Seafood is a love it or hate it thing, and a surprising lot of people hate it. 

Also, consider serving "lazy man's" cioppino. With the shells already removed. Because at our house, breaking shells apart and tearing crab legs apart is a huge mess. Like a three napkin per person mess, and empty bowls to catch the shells. Also picks and shell crackers. Not something typically available from party rental/caterers.

I want some now. What have you done to me? 
  • Options
    What about a good hearty beef stew for people who don't care for the fish option. I love italian wedding soup, but I wouldn't consider it really filling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards