Wedding Party

Maid of Honor in wheelchair

Hi All! My sister, who is 36, was born with Spina Bifida and is wheelchair bound. She is the Maid of Honor in my wedding next October. She and I discussed it and we think it would be fun to decorate her wheelchair somehow! However, upon googling time and time again, my search results turn up next to nothing for ideas! I know we have plenty of time to figure something out, but I was hoping to gather a few ideas and test them out while I'm visiting for the holidays. (I live in NC, she's in Ohio) We have a Peacock wedding theme, with the bridesmaids wearing the color eggplant. We tossed around the idea of putting flowers in her wheels or hanging something (not a sign, but tulle, etc) from the back, but I'm afraid it will look cheesy and/or ridiculous. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you in advance, I really appreciate the willingness to help out another bride in need! :)

Re: Maid of Honor in wheelchair

• edited November 2014
    If the wheels are spoked and it's not dangerous, weave the spokes with tulle and treat the wheels themselves as wreaths.  Then you could use flowers (silk would probably hold up best).  As for the chair itself, think of it as a dining room chair and try to design a chair cover like you might if you were covering the reception chairs. You are correct, though, this can get cheesy very quickly, so try not to make her look like a parade float :)
  • To avoid making it look cheesy, I would go with the "less is more" mantra. I agree with PP that tulle and some flowers through the spokes would be plenty.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If your sister wants to do this, fine. But this sounds super cheesy. 

I would equate this to someone decorating crutches, an oxygen tank, a cane, a neck brace, headgear, or any other medical device. It's just drawing attention to the medical device versus the person. I'm not a fan.
    This. Let people notice your gorgeous sister. Don't let her be over-shadowed by her chair! 
  • I wouldn't do anything that can get stuck in the wheels or cause any kind of mobility issues (like tulle or feathers).  The wheelchair is an extension of your sister so you don't want to do anything to make her chair look like a prop.  I suggest a wheelchair skin or rim covers to just add a pop of color.  Both come in a bunch of colors and can be easily removed.  
  • It's funny you mention this, that was one of our concerns while discussing our options! She said that if that should happen, she would just say that she's not moving because Jonathan is supposed to be marrying her not me! haha
  • Thank you so much for your ideas and opinions! Decorating her wheelchair is something both she and I wanted to do, I'm definitely NOT pushing her into something she is reluctant doing. For Halloween, she dressed up as the Wheel of Fortune just to pass out candy! lol Her chair is an extension of her, she's been in it her entire life. So we feel as if decorating it doesn't mean we're bringing unwanted attention to it, it's just her. :) Casie is in a wheelchair, it's a fact. It is so frustrating that with millions of ideas and pictures the internet is able to access, I came up with next to nothing for something like this.
  • I love her Wheel of Fortune costume! When I googled it I saw there are these plastic wheel covers that someone had painted flowers on, but if you found some you could put peacock feathers on them or something. I also liked the tulle bow on the back of the chair below, but maybe not in white- it would look too bridal.image
  • edited November 2014
    Goodness! I must be HORRIBLE at searching for stuff! lol I have googled countless phrases but didn't see either of these pics! The bow is my favorite, but her wheelchair is black, as well, so I'm not sure if another color would show up as well. I agree though, it does look too bridaly (is that even a word? haha) Thank you! Her Halloween costume was so creative!
  • Future=Szynarowski here are a few skins and rim covers -- (click the names)
    Spoke covers -- these are actually really awesome

• You can get something that would coordinate with the colours, examples:
    wedding gaylord winthrop wheelchair groom
    Add some bows:
    Fabric and/or flowers:
  • I've seen some lovely peacock shawls, very lightweight and not expensive in some catalogs recently. Maybe something like that for the back of the chair?
  • No matter what you choose, I would love to meet your sister.  She sounds like a truly fantastic person who just loves you and wants to get the most happiness out of life and out of your marriage.  Good for both of you.
  • Since the chair is black, what about getting some peacock feathers from the craft store and then putting them in a fan shape on the back of her chair?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards